Mango Lime Jam

Mango Lime Jam
(Makes about 3 8-ounce jars)
Printaable Version

3 cups of mango pulp, coarsely chopped into raisin-sized pieces
3 1/4 cups of sugar
4 tablespoons lime juice
zest of 2 limes
Half of 3-oz pouch of liquid pectin

• In a nonreactive pan, mix together mango, sugar, and lime juice, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
  • When the mixture comes to a boil, add the lime zest, turn up the heat to medium and let the mango mixture boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
  • Stir in the liquid pectin and let the mixture boil for one more minute.
  • Take the pot off the heat and let the jam rest for 5 minutes before putting it into the jars. This allows the jam to thicken up a bit which promotes better suspension of mango pulp; otherwise the mango pieces will rise to the top instead of being interspersed throughout the entire jar.
  • Process with the water bath canning method. Alternatively, the jam can be stored in airtight containers and kept refrigerated.
  • 12 Responses to Mango Lime Jam

1. oysterculture June 9, 2009 at 2:44 am #

OK, saw the mango post, but this recipe really caught my eye. Now I just have to get my hands on some Thai mangos.

2. Marilou Garon September 26, 2009 at 11:30 pm #

Any idea how long it will last in the fridge if not processed? I want to give it as a gift but do not want to intoxicate my godmother! I also feel a bit too lazy to can…Thanks!

3. Leela September 27, 2009 at 12:14 am #

Hi Marilou – If unprocessed, the jam should last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a month.

4. Anonymous January 31, 2010 at 4:29 am #

Will try this with Bowen Mangos from Australia & will let you know how it goes.

5. Leela January 31, 2010 at 4:35 am #

Anonymous – Yes, please do. :)

6. Anonymous April 20, 2010 at 1:21 am #

I didn’t use Thai mangoes to know by comparison, but this is an awesome recipe.

7. Marilou Garon December 20, 2010 at 1:19 am #

This jam is wonderful! I think I bought mangoes that were a bit too underipe, so I had to boil the mixture more than 3 minutes, more like 10 minutes. I also mashed the mixture with a potato masher. But in the end, it turned out lovely. The lime taste is very present, so if you’re not a lime lover, I would reduce the amount of zest. I, personally, love the taste as is, and find that the lime gives the jam a marmelade-like quality. This is for sure a keeper, and it makes an exquisite and very original gift.

8. Laurie September 14, 2011 at 4:48 am #

This is very good! I had never before made jam or canned anything, so I feel happy that it was successful. I used Mexican mangoes as that is all I had, and there are very few options where I live. I used a no sugar needed pectin which allowed me to cut the sugar in half, though next time I’ll probably cut the sugar a bit more. Finding it too sweet for my liking (maybe due to the different variety of mango?), I also increased the lime juice and zest. Thanks for posting this recipe. I am inspired to try new recipes now!

9. Admin September 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm #

Laurie – Thanks! Be careful with changing the amount of sugar willy-nilly, though. In addition to providing sweetness, sugar serves two main functions: to allow the jam to set and to keep the pH value of the product in a zone that’s safe for canning. No sugar needed pectin addresses the first issue, but not the other one. If you want to lower the amount of sugar, you need to compensate for it by increasing the level of acidity so that the pH level is as close to 4.6 as possible.

For freezer jams or jams that you don’t can and store at room temperature, this is not much of an issue. But when you do canning, botulism is a possibility when the pH of the product is too high.

10. Katie H August 23, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

You’ve got that last one wrong. The amount of sugar does not impact the pH of a solution. Sugar is not the kind of molecule that can change pH (it doesn’t form ions). You can safely can fruits and jams without added sugar, but you are right that they will not set without the right kind of pectin.

11. J. Joseph June 5, 2013 at 7:26 am #

I just tried this w/ extremely overripe local south Florida mangoes and didn’t use any pectin. I also used organic panela (unprocessed cane sugar) and to half the batch I added a chopped hot scotch bonnet pepper, nigella and mustard seeds. We’ll see how it sets up w/o pectin. I had read somewhere that mangoes have a lot of natural pectin so can make jams w/o. Any thoughts?

12. David Ockey August 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm #

What a wonderful recipe! I made it and I can’t stop eating it! I did something a little wild though. I mixed some with some homemade nam prik pat. The flavor combination is great! Now if I can find something to put it on, instead of eating it by the spoonful…