Fresh Beet and Quinoa Salad

Beet. Quinoa. I know.

This salad tastes much better than I thought it would. Yeah, it surprised me too.

Simple Salad of Fresh Beet and Quinoa
Serves 4
Printable Version

1/2 cup quinoa, cooked in plenty of water (just as you would pasta) until translucent, drained
One medium beet, peeled and julienned
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup your favorite light, citrusy vinegar (orange muscat champagne vinegar from Trader Joe’s is used here.)
1/4 chopped fresh parley leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste

Mix. Chill. Enjoy.

23 Responses to Fresh Beet and Quinoa Salad

1. doggybloggy May 5, 2009 at 7:36 pm #

did I just wake up in a whole new land? things look mighty bright and fresh around here – and this salad – what can I say – deeeeluxe!

2. Jenn May 5, 2009 at 7:44 pm #

I’ve been seeing quite a bit of beet and quinoa recipes lately. I think it’s time I take a gander at it.

Love the new banner, btw.

3. Anita May 5, 2009 at 11:20 pm #

What gorgeous colours in that salad!

4. Jude May 6, 2009 at 3:19 am #

I hope I don’t end up with pink fingernails for a week from julienning beets.
    Can’t help but think of Dwight from The Office eating a raw unpeeled beet.

5. Siri May 6, 2009 at 1:29 pm #

How pretty! I think it sounded good right off the bat- even before seeing your nice photo. I love the look of the julienned beets.

-Siri

6. oysterculture May 6, 2009 at 2:26 pm #

The salad looks great, I love quinoa and the way it picked up the color of the beats, well its very pretty and festive. I bet it tasted delicious too

7. Kelly May 6, 2009 at 3:11 pm #

I may have to take your word on this one. Beet is not for me, but I could see myself using another veggie in this same salad and loving it! You always have such creative ideas. I love it!

8. Kristen May 6, 2009 at 7:26 pm #

that is so gorgeous! look at those colors, it has to be good!

9. lisaiscooking May 6, 2009 at 7:44 pm #

Your salad looks fantastic! I love beets, and they sound great with quinoa and parsley.

10. duodishes.com May 6, 2009 at 9:45 pm #

Mmmmm, this would be so nice next to grilled fish or chicken. Save!

11. Jessica@Foodmayhem May 7, 2009 at 1:01 pm #

Your pic really grabbed me when I saw this on photograzing. It’s gorgeous!

12. Arwen from Hoglet K May 7, 2009 at 11:22 pm #

I bought some quinoa and quinoa flakes the other day. The flakes have all been eaten as porridge, but I haven’t tried the grain yet. It’s beetroot season here though, so maybe I can put them together.

13. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 8, 2009 at 1:48 am #

That looks so delicious and healthy-exactly what I need right now Leela! 🙂

14. ivorypomegranate May 8, 2009 at 3:38 am #

I LOVE beets! And I’m just starting to get into quinoa, so I’ll definitely have to try this soon! I bet it would be great with some sauteed beet greens too

15. Marc @ NoRecipes May 8, 2009 at 5:57 pm #

Is the beet eaten raw? I don’t think I’ve ever had raw beets before. What do they taste like?

16. Leela May 8, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

Marc – Yup, raw. For some reason, I like raw beet better than cooked — it’s more crunchy and sweeter. Beet coleslaw is my favorite.

17. Tangled Noodle May 10, 2009 at 3:56 am #

That’s so beautiful! The textures must be amazing (not to mention the flavors, as well!)

18. feastonthecheap May 10, 2009 at 12:54 pm #

I’ve been experimenting with quinoa on my own blog (http://feastonthecheap.wordpress.com) bu this looks especially summery and delicious. Can’t wait to try it!

19. Sweta May 19, 2009 at 12:19 am #

Wow-I love the colour!!! Quinoa and beet-what a terrific combo 🙂

20. lafemmebot January 27, 2011 at 9:54 am #

Thank you for posting this <3. It was divine. I made it with organic Italian parsley, the orange muskat champagne vinegar, and a squeeze of lemon juice. I paired the quinoa salad with baked then grilled potatoes and onions with a garlic clove, olive oil, butter, rosemary, sea salt, and pepper to taste.

21. Scott 'Big Daddy' T, a.k.a Odirom December 30, 2011 at 6:29 pm #

I was directed here from a link entitled “American Fried Rice” Something tells me, ‘That’s not it.’ I would love to read the fried rice article….Thanks.

22. Admin December 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

Scott – The post on American Fried Rice can be found here.

Could you please let me know where that wrong link is located so I can correct it? Thanks.

23. Anonymous August 15, 2012 at 5:38 am #

I made it tonight, but it was less tasty than I expected. I may try to increase the amount of quinoa and decrease the amount of beet. Also, it would probably be a good idea to marinate the beet first and mix in the quinoa later.