Granola with Raw Almonds and Dried Wild Strawberries

wild strawberries
The other day, I found myself moseying around a farmers’ market just when the vendors started packing up their tents. There wasn’t much left to see or buy. It was a warm and humid day and the fruits and vegetables that were still there looked like nothing short of a set of defibrillators would bring them back to life.

However, showing up late at the market isn’t always a bad thing. Case in point, a kind gentleman signaled me to approach his stall and next thing I knew I had in my hand four pints of fraises des bois (Alpine or wild strawberries) which, though no longer looked just-picked, were still firm, vivid red, bruise-free, and delicious. I was only asked to pay the amount of money that would have gotten me only one pint 3-4 hours earlier. That was a little more fruits than I was prepared to take home. But who can say no to fraises des bois? I mean, look at them.

dried strawberries
I’m not one who uses adjectives such as adorable or sexy to describe produce, but in this case I’m willing to annoy myself; these tiny strawberries are so cute.

Fraises des bois, as is the case with most fruits, are best eaten fresh out of hand. However, since the ones I had (after half a day in the hot sun at the market and another 4 hours in my car) looked like they were pining for the fjords on their way to becoming ex-strawberries, a more radical approach seemed appropriate. I washed the little things and dried them thoroughly with a kitchen towel.

Then I dehydrated them in a very low oven (100°F) for 6-7 hours. (If you have a dehydrator, by all means, use it.) I could have baked the strawberries along with the grains, but thought more nutrients would be retained if the fruit was dried at low heat. This is also the very reason I added the almonds in the raw state after the granola had been baked.

The results were just spectacular. The strawberries dried up very nicely. They retained their color and cuteness. Best of all, the flavor became more concentrated. If you’re a fan of dried strawberries, dried fraises des bois will knock your socks off.

Granola with Raw Almonds and Dried Fraises des Bois
(Makes approximately 6 cups)
Printable Version

3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups wheat germ of oat bran
3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
Dehydrated fraises des bois made from 4 pints of fresh strawberries

• Preheat the oven to 325 degree F.
  • Mix together all the ingredients, except the almonds and dried strawberries; spread the mixture onto a baking sheet.
  • Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally as the pieces around the edges tend to brown more quickly. Turn off the oven.
  • Take the baking sheet out of the oven and stir the dried strawberries and almonds into the granola. Place the baking sheet inside the oven, with the door slightly ajar, and let the residual heat inside the oven “cook” the almonds and the dried strawberries a bit further.
  • Once the granola has completely cooled, break up the clumps and store in an airtight container.
  • 20 Responses to Granola with Raw Almonds and Dried Wild Strawberries

1. 5 Star Foodie June 24, 2009 at 2:44 pm #

If only I could get wild strawberries here! This granola sounds terrific, I love the almonds as well!

2. doggybloggy June 24, 2009 at 2:51 pm #

smarty pants – this looks way too good…

3. Sweta June 24, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

I’ve never tasted wild strawberries- lucky you!!

4. The Duo Dishes June 24, 2009 at 4:40 pm #

Nice find! You stumbled on a treasure there. Plopping them in granola is perfect.

5. Jenn June 24, 2009 at 6:44 pm #

This would be perfect for breakfast or as a snack. i wish I had a dehydrator. Then again i could always try it the old fashioned, but I’d be too impatient to wait. hehehe…

6. Zita June 24, 2009 at 7:14 pm #

The almost ex-Fraises des Bois stil looks cute on your finger 🙂

Great Idea, Helen@tartelette made powder out of it but simply combine it with granolas is superb 🙂

7. Angry Asian June 24, 2009 at 7:23 pm #

1. i’ve been meaning to make granola for awhile (another of my healthy snacks…:) yours is beautiful.

2. i must give you props for drying your own fruit. it never would’ve occured to me to even do it. now i have a general idea of how it works.

3. i’m inspired to actually make granola tonight after my bike ride. i have dried cranberries already but i like your method of doing the oats first, then putting the fruit and nuts in with the residual heat to warm thru. too often i’ve burned my granola, causing me to break up with it for awhile.

8. Kelly June 24, 2009 at 7:48 pm #

During the fall and winter I make a lot of granola to eat for breakfast. I love it with warm milk on a cold morning. This recipe, with the strawberries, sounds so good to me! I may start making granola in the summer, too! Love it!!

9. Arwen from Hoglet K June 25, 2009 at 2:40 am #

How marvellous to get strawberries so cheaply. Drying them is a perfect way to make them last. I’m extra jealous since I recently tried some truly terrible commercial dried strawberries which were sprinkled with sugar and citric acid! Making your own is definitely the answer.

10. Manggy June 25, 2009 at 6:03 pm #

Ooh, you did quite well for yourself at the market! Good find! 🙂

11. OysterCulture June 26, 2009 at 12:19 am #

Few things are better than homemade granola and yours sounds wonderful.

I love fraise des bois and to be able to score the quantity that you did and at that price, what a coup!

12. Deeba @Passionate About Baking June 26, 2009 at 10:15 am #

Just beautiful. A friend of mine mailed me some dried berries from the UK, & we loved the strawberries the best. I tried doing some in the oven, & burnt them (read charred) of course! Your granola looks entirely enticing!

13. Justin June 26, 2009 at 8:51 pm #

i’m always so impressed when i see people are making their own granola. I just can’t bring myself to do it.

14. Belinda @zomppa June 28, 2009 at 12:03 am #

Great recipe!! Brilliant.

15. Chef Fresco June 28, 2009 at 2:10 am #

We have yet to make our own granola – and we eat the store bought kind nearly every day. This recipe looks so good! We might be making it soon 🙂

16. Aruna June 28, 2009 at 2:58 pm #

Lovely.Ur folks will surely have a great time eating ur food. Lucky them.:-)

17. Leanna July 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm #

I grow wild strawberries on my apt porch 🙂

I can never wait long enough to have a little pint full, I tent to just eat whichever is ripe when I’m tending to the rest of my plants.

18. Dina July 3, 2010 at 2:38 am #

those strawberries look great! would love to try them.

19. InvisiGyrl September 28, 2010 at 12:59 am #

good find, indeed.
      I have a cheap $15 dehydrator that works real well – Place a sheet of parchment paper cut to size (Fold, round the top, cut a hole at the tip)
      Works just like teflex.
      Also, I am guessing my cheap dehydrator gets a little warmer than I’d like for keeping raw, but I found you can adjust the stacks to be ‘open’ or ‘closed’ and then I put stuff a few racks up if I can afford the racks being empty, or I make sure to swap racks around when drying several racks.

20. Vespa Woolf July 5, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

I love the story about your wild strawberry find and the cute photos. Will definitely try your recipe. I like the addition of wheat bran and the fact that you don’t toast the almonds to preserve the nutrients. Thanks!