Quick and Easy Pickled Radishes

Visit a farmers’ market and buy more farm-fresh radishes than you think you can eat as that is a wise thing to do. Eat them smeared with fresh homemade butter and lightly sprinkled with sea salt until you’re all radished out as that is the best way to enjoy the sweetness and crunch of fresh radishes.

Then gather a couple of bunches of leftover radishes and wash and trim them leaving some of the tops and the “tails” intact. For the bigger radishes, you may want to half or quarter them. The little tiny ones can be left whole.

Print the recipe

Measure out about 2 cups’ worth of prepared fresh radishes and put them in a glass container. Mix together 1/4 cup of Japanese rice vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt; stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour the mixture over the radishes; stir, covered the container with plastic wrap and keep it chilled overnight.

Though the pickled radishes will remain crunchy, they will have lost some of their bright colors. Any beauty lost will be more than made up for by the delicious flavor they pick up from the pickling juice.

Pickled radishes are great with anything that you usually eat with kimchi.

20 Responses to Quick and Easy Pickled Radishes

1. Rick June 3, 2009 at 4:05 pm #

I have been making home made butter for a while now. You can’t do any better. It is a great way to use up any left over cream.

As a suggestion, if you wash the butter with cold water 2 or 3 times to remove most of the whey, your butter will last longer, less chance of it becoming rancid. Put water and butter in a bowl and knead it with tha back of a spoon, change the water and repeat until the water remains clear.
    I usually knead the salt into the butter after the final wash. I’ll have to try adding the salt at the begining to see how it is affected by the washing. My wife makes Kimchi at home so we will have to try your radishes.

2. Leela June 3, 2009 at 4:08 pm #

Great tips on the butter, Rick. Thank you so much.

3. doggybloggy June 3, 2009 at 4:23 pm #

wow – sweet – butter tricks and pickling tricks – thanks guys!

4. Leela June 3, 2009 at 4:30 pm #

Rick – Your tips have been added to the original post on homemade butter. Thanks again! Appreciate it. I love it when my readers enlighten me on things.

5. Ozge June 3, 2009 at 4:31 pm #

I spot some beautiful radishes at Farmer’s market but didn’t know how to make use of them :<

6. Zita June 3, 2009 at 4:46 pm #

yuum…love pickled radishes, you must be so lucky to find smaller radishes, they are tastier than the bigger ones 🙂

7. duodishes June 3, 2009 at 5:40 pm #

You always give good tips!

8. 5 Star Foodie June 3, 2009 at 6:53 pm #

Pickled radishes sound excellent (I haven’t had them pickled yet) and must be so good with homemade butter!

9. Jenn June 3, 2009 at 7:28 pm #

Awesome tips. You’ve always got some great advice on here. I don’t get enough radish in my system and I love the stuff, too. Maybe if I have them pickled then I’ll eat it more.

10. Sweta June 3, 2009 at 7:40 pm #

I tried pickling carrots for the first time last month-and the outcome was delish. Will try this out next 🙂

11. lisaiscooking June 3, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

I love pickled radishes! Those are beauties.

12. Tangled Noodle June 4, 2009 at 4:11 am #

I’ve never had pickled radishes before (and I’ve also never had them with butter!) The pickling juice sounds so good.

13. to2sassy June 4, 2009 at 11:42 am #

I just discovered butter and radish sandwhiches a few months ago. Probably the worst thing I could have done…I could eat them all day! I have not tried making my own butter ..hmmm probably ANOTHER thing I “shouldn’t” try. But now the pickled radishes I can definately do those without guilt.

14. oysterculture June 4, 2009 at 5:02 pm #

yum, this sounds like such a great snack! I cannot wait to try a batch.

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 5, 2009 at 3:01 am #

This so cool-hubby loves radishes and pickles and I know he’d love these. Pickling is so much fun isn’t it! 🙂

16. Arwen from Hoglet K June 5, 2009 at 10:48 am #

I love the idea that the pickles are ready overnight. Pickles have always seemed like too much of a waiting game, so I’ve neglected them. Looks like they’re worth getting into though.

17. Olga January 4, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

what an easy recipe! I have a few watermelon radishes sitting in my refrigerator and will use them with this pickling solution.

Thanks!

18. Grace June 2, 2010 at 8:02 pm #

I’m going to try this right now! For those who think you may not have a green thumb, radishes are possibly the world’s easiest and fastest thing to grow. With some varieties, you’ll have radishes ready to eat as soon as 20-30 days after you plant them. Plus they don’t take up much space and you can plant them nearly anywhere. Plant them yourself and you can have all the pickled radish and butter sandwiches you can eat!!

19. Bob February 19, 2013 at 8:49 am #

I pickle the daicon radishes too. (the white one’s)

1. RecipeShare with WorkShare Emily | Green Gate Farms - March 12, 2014