Grilled Octopus Cocktail with Sriracha-Jaew Sauce

No story this time. There’s nothing to tell you other than the fact that I think I might have just found the best cocktail sauce (or dipping sauce — whatever suits you) ever. This grilled octopus cocktail was made and consumed (in its entirety) less than 10 minutes ago.

Fresh octopus was anointed with some olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper and grilled very quickly. While the octopus was on the grill, I made the sauce. It took me all of ten minutes from the time I threw a bag of fresh octopus into the sink to the time this cocktail was served. I then snapped a few pictures. Ate the whole thing. And felt compelled to tell you all about it when I should be doing the dishes.

If you have not made a batch of Jaew, please do. Then may I encourage you go to an Asian grocery store, specializing in Southeast Asian ingredients, and get a bottle of genuine Thai Sriracha? (I recommend Shark brand.) If you can’t find Thai Sriracha, you can use the American-made Rooster sauce with some honey added to it. Or better yet, make your own homemade Sriracha (according to the Thai tradition).

To make the sauce, mix together one part Jaew and one part Sriracha. If you have some fresh cilantro on hand, by all means, chop some up and mix it in. The sauce is then ready to accompany your choice of steamed or grilled fresh seafood.

16 Responses to Grilled Octopus Cocktail with Sriracha-Jaew Sauce

1. OysterCulture July 7, 2009 at 12:58 am #

Wow, I love it what a striking presentation! It just looks divine!

2. Ravenous Couple July 7, 2009 at 2:10 am #

OMG, gorgeous presentation and so tantalizingly seductive!! Bravo!

3. Tangled Noodle July 7, 2009 at 2:13 am #

It looks like an orchid – I want a whole bouquet!

4. Ben July 7, 2009 at 2:23 am #

The presentation is amazing! And I really need to make some of that sauce. It sounds really good.

5. Jenn July 7, 2009 at 4:46 am #

Lovely presentation. You’ve got me craving for calamri now. LOL.

btw…I got a normal word as my varification. It was ratio

6. KennyT July 7, 2009 at 5:02 am #

Lovely presentation.

7. Kristen July 7, 2009 at 5:58 am #

That looks fantastic. I love octopus now I am craving it too. I am loving the presentation I will have to try your flavors & technique!

8. Rick July 7, 2009 at 9:52 am #

Love octopus, love your presentation even more!

9. pigpigscorner July 7, 2009 at 12:07 pm #

That’s my favourite part of an octupus! Amazing presentation!

10. Manggy July 7, 2009 at 5:42 pm #

So, you ate all of it, no sharing? Hee hee 🙂 I can see why! Whoa, that’s a really fast sauce, I’d love to try it out! 🙂

11. Juliana July 7, 2009 at 7:17 pm #

What an interesting presentation, although I am not a octopus fan, your sauce sounds yummie!

12. Kelly July 7, 2009 at 7:43 pm #

I have only hyad octopus once and I did not like it, but I suspect it was just prepared poolry. The pictures tempt me to give it another try! It is almost like a little flower or yummy food!

13. Arwen from Hoglet K July 8, 2009 at 12:00 am #

I love the way your tentacle flower! The sauce must be truly amazing if it was ten minutes from eating to posting – now that’s inspiration.

14. Mel @ bouchonfor2.com July 9, 2009 at 8:15 am #

That looks wickedly good. You always amaze me.

15. Tom August 25, 2012 at 1:34 am #

This looks awesome! I’d very much like to try it but I’ve never made octopus at home and I’m not sure what you did to cook it. Every recipe for grilled octopus that I see online says to boil the tentacles for 45 minutes before grilling, but it seems like you just grilled them raw for about 5 minutes? How did you know that they were done cooking and safe to eat? I would appreciate a little bit of guidance 🙂

• Leela August 25, 2012 at 7:00 am #

Tom, octopus, like shrimp or squid, takes just a couple minutes — seconds if cut into smaller pieces — to cook. Beyond that, it becomes tough and rubbery. To fix that, you have to braise it for a long time. So there are two methods of cooking: very quick or long, slow braising/stewing — anything in between won’t work well. For this one, I went for the first method.

You know your octopus is cooked when what is once glossy and jelly-like turns opaque and the flesh has firmed up somewhat. But even if you undercook it a bit, no big deal. Think sashimi.