How to Make Raw Corn Milk

I am experimenting with milk alternative again. Earlier this year, I fell in love with hemp milk. Right this moment, as if in a desperate attempt to hold on to summer as tightly as possible, I’m having fun with fresh corn milk.

Corn milk is not at all a new idea. It has been marketed as an alternative to cow’s milk in Asia for a few years now. Corn milk in single-serving aseptic boxes was one of my refrigerator essentials this past summer when I was in Bangkok.Ice cold corn milk, made out of fresh raw corn, is a thing of beauty. With some honey and ground cinnamon added, it tastes almost like Horchata — only fresher and lighter. It can also be added to smoothies and shakes.

All you have to do is get the raw corn kernels off the cobs and puree them in the blender with some water. The mixture then gets strained through a fine mesh sieve or, better, a cheesecloth-lined fine mesh sieve. The milk gets stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container where it stays fresh for 48 hours. (The corn “meat” does not need to be discarded. Sneak it into your cake, muffin, quick bread, and cookie batters. Add it to your meat loaf or meatballs.)

I prefer my corn milk quite thick, so I use 1 cup of fresh spring water per one large ear of sweet corn which yields approximately 1 1/2 cups of corn milk. Adjust the amount of water according to your liking.

************

Loving Cup turns this raw corn milk into a delicious cocktail!

23 Responses to How to Make Raw Corn Milk

1. anna September 29, 2009 at 12:19 am #

Oh wow, this sounds amazing! Especially with the spices. Bookmarking for next summer for sure!

2. Jenn September 29, 2009 at 5:00 am #

That’s interesting. This is the first I’ve heard of corn milk. And if it tastes like horchata, then it must be good. Sounds like a good drink to me.

3. Arwen from Hoglet K September 29, 2009 at 9:44 am #

That sounds great. I’ve noticed the milkiness of raw corn, but I never knew it made a good drink. Having it with cinnamon and honey sounds perfect.

4. 5 Star Foodie September 29, 2009 at 1:40 pm #

Iced cold corn milk sounds just delightful, especially with cinnamon and honey!

5. lisaiscooking September 29, 2009 at 6:28 pm #

Sounds delicious! I’m a soy milk fan, but I’d be happy to give corn milk a try.

6. KennyT September 29, 2009 at 7:58 pm #

I’ve never heard of raw corn milk before. This is very interesting^^.

7. The Duo Dishes September 29, 2009 at 8:30 pm #

Leave it to you to feature something once again unknown. You have a great knack for that, and it’s appreciated.

8. Manggy September 29, 2009 at 11:33 pm #

Love the pic, Leela 🙂 I wonder how it would be like served as a cold refreshment? 🙂

9. OysterCulture September 30, 2009 at 7:54 pm #

This drink sounds so refreshing, I too want to cling to summer a bit longer, and this sounds perfect.

10. Zita October 1, 2009 at 2:36 pm #

I have to try this… en loving your new header 🙂

11. doggybloggy October 3, 2009 at 11:13 pm #

BRILLIANT how come I havent thought of this nor heard of this – leela you did it again!

12. we are never full October 5, 2009 at 7:44 pm #

my favorite thing to do when cutting corn off the cob is running the back of the knife a few times up and down the cob and then slurping up all that milky goodness. i can’t even imagine how decadent and lucious this “corn milk” could be! maybe it needs a new name though? i’ll be the marketing whiz behind that one!

13. Marvin October 6, 2009 at 2:15 am #

I bet using corn milk, along with the corn “meat” in a corn bread would make for corny goodness. And the corn horchata sounds awesome as well.

14. Anonymous October 8, 2009 at 2:27 am #

Hey, how are you? I’ll just cut to the chase.

I have a request.

Could you do a post on ‘Roti Sai Mai’?

I had an idea, that if YOU made the Roti Sai Mai, it’d be amazing. The usual Roti they sell is too… ordinary.

I think if you put extra stuff into the dough, it’ll be very tasty. And the sugar part? If YOU made up the ingredients, I’ll bet it’ll taste more than just ‘sweet’.

I don’t know… I just had 10 of them in one sitting and thought there was room for improvement.

So please… even if I don’t get to TASTE it, at least reading about ‘Roti de Leela’ would be good enough.

^__^ GG

15. Leela October 8, 2009 at 3:10 am #

Gosh, GG, you still read my blog, man?!?! 🙂 Glad you drop by. Been thiking about you too. Roti Sai Mai with filling that isn’t “just” sweet? Haha. Sure. We’ll see. Stick around. 🙂

16. Juliana October 8, 2009 at 4:52 pm #

Interesting that in Brazil we use corn to make drink, but it is boiled and even ice cream…I’d love to try this version 🙂

17. Anonymous October 9, 2009 at 6:43 am #

I read your blogs. Still. How can I not?

Where can I find a blog that actually smells and tastes like kitchen?

I have an idea on how to make ‘Roti Sai Mai’ a big hit in the department stores. It’s a great idea that’s gonna make me a millionaire.

But I need the reciepe first. The reciepe to the BEST tasting Roti dough and the BEST tasting sweet stuff that goes with the bread.

The rest, I’ll take care of it. I’ll make it BIG! It’s gonna be a HUGE HIT!

🙂

(You KNOW I’m dreaming, right? ^_^)

18. Dina October 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm #

interesting. would like to try it.

19. pigpigscorner October 12, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

wow, very interesting I’ve never heard of corn milk. I’ve been trying out different kinda milk too – soy milk, rice milk, oat milk…

20. Jennifer October 20, 2009 at 8:11 pm #

I’m like the others, I’ve never heard of corn milk either but I may try this in a few of my baking recipes to see how it changes the flavor! Thanks

21. AraChiya May 31, 2013 at 9:00 pm #

Is there a way to turn the corn milk into a corn based cheese?

22. Fatumy Ch September 18, 2013 at 1:43 am #

i Want to try this recipe cause a am a diary intolerent.. hope it works for me.. and i can add them in cakes to..
    Thank u..

1. Summer Sweetcorn for Dessert: Thai Coconut Sticky Rice Pudding « The Furious Pear Pie - September 9, 2012

[…] in Britain. In fact I found the inimitable and magnificent Leela Punyaratabandhu by searching for a sweetcorn milk recipe. I’ve yet to try it as I don’t have a blender, […]