The Best Lemon Pudding Cake Recipe I have Found To Date

[My rant on lemon as a symbol and the chick that turned on King Solomon.]

You know that perfect lemon pudding or soufflé cakethat is:

• so ridiculously easy and very quick to make,
  • emphatically lemony,
  • neither too sweet nor too tart,
  • relatively low in fat but tastes like it contains tons of it,
  • self-separated into three delicious layers of spongy cake on top, custard in the middle, and thick, creamy, lemony sauce at the bottom?

Search no more. Click on this recipe right here.

The recipe is for the most part fuss-free and amateur-friendly. There are only three things which I can think of that would ruin this pudding cake: failure to whip the egg whites until they form stiff, glossy peaks, failure to use the right pan size, and failure to employ the hot-water baking method properly. Experienced bakers, please ignore me. Not-so-experienced bakers, the following tips may be helpful to you.

The most important thing is to use a clean, completelygrease-free bowl and beater and there is no trace of egg yolks in your whites, failure to achieve fluffy egg whites with stiff peaks is highly unlikely even if you beat the whites by hand with a whisk.The second factor is the pan size. The recipe specifies a 1 1/2-quart baking dish, and that’s exactly what you should be using. A pan that’s too large or wide would completely ruin the desired separations.

The last factor is the method of baking in a bain marie. While all experienced bakers know how to do this, I’ve just come to realize many people, including a friend of mine who turned the term into something dirty involving a fictional woman named Marie, are not familiar with it.It’s simply a way of using hot water to make sure what you’re baking is baked gently and at a fixed temperature. This is great for baked goods with custardy texture. Just be sure that the water you pour into the outer pan is boiling hot, and, for safety, put the pan inside the oven before you pour the hot water into it. That’s easier to do than carrying the whole thing — boiling water and all — from your kitchen counter to the oven.

Other than that, the recipe works just as it is. No tweaks are needed. For this batch, however, I experimented with increasing the lemon juice to 1/2 cup and doubling the amount of flour to keep the starch:liquid ratio. This resulted in a more lemony, but a bit less saucy cake. I like it this way as well.

30 Responses to The Best Lemon Pudding Cake Recipe I have Found To Date

1. unclevinny January 7, 2010 at 8:09 pm #

Hooray, another yummy lemon thing! I will make this, too. Keep posting lemon desserts, and I will luv you.

Did part of your security updates mean that I can no longer right-click on a link to say “open in a new tab”? If so, I suppose it’s a small price to pay to foil the image-stealing badsters out there.

Finally, to giggle at an amateur’s Rube Goldberg bain marie setup, click here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/unclevinny/2446007265/

2. Jenn January 7, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

Fantastic. Easy and simple is the way to go. I’d love a scoop of that for dessert right about now.

3. Rick January 7, 2010 at 10:23 pm #

Very nice, going to have to give this a a try… love lemons

4. pigpigscorner January 7, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

It looks so nicely puffed up! It’s a souffle cake to me!

5. Mel- GourmetFury.com January 7, 2010 at 11:04 pm #

This looks amazing Leela. I love lemon in my desserts and I love how it’s a warm pudding for the winter. You’re never pretentious girl… stop it ;)

6. Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog January 7, 2010 at 11:17 pm #

You definitively sold to me this lemony pudding cake with the introduction!

All are benefits but not too sweet – I can bear this ;-) Really magnificent!

Cheers,

Gera

7. The Duo Dishes January 7, 2010 at 11:56 pm #

You know that looks perfect, right? This is such a great winter dessert. Warm, but still feels light. Saved!

8. Chef Fresco January 8, 2010 at 2:10 am #

This lemon pudding looks amazing! yummm

9. Marc @ NoRecipes January 8, 2010 at 3:25 am #

I’ve been looking all over for this! I tried to make something like this last year and I kept getting something more like cake than pudding in the middle, but it tasted so good I ended up calling it a spound cake and posting it. I’ve never been able to get it puddingy in the middle though so I’m so happy to find this. We have a bunch of meyer lemons sitting in the fruit bowl and I’m having this for dessert tomorrow night.

10. OysterCulture January 8, 2010 at 4:27 am #

I love lemony desserts, and this looks like a must try. I also have a funny egg white story to add. When I was an undergrad, my manager in the lab where I worked told me he tried to make a cake for his girl friend and it turned out horrible, He did not understand why it did not set and it was very crunchy in a not good sort of way. Turns out the only white part of the eggs that he found, were – you guessed it, the shells. He added shells instead of the whites to his cake, completely ruined. Thankfully girlfriend forgave him and they married.

11. 5 Star Foodie January 8, 2010 at 6:00 pm #

Pure heaven! I would love to do make this cake with Meyer lemons I have right now, yum!

12. alasandy January 8, 2010 at 6:20 pm #

Lovely! Both the cake and the photos! I have tons of Meyer Lemons on the tree right now BEGGING to be baked in this cake! TY!

Cheers,
    Sandy

13. Zen Chef January 11, 2010 at 4:29 am #

Oh my gawd, you’re a blogging machine! I haven’t visited for about 10 days and you have a zillion posts i haven’t read. Stop iiit! :)
    I’m glad to find this delicious lemon pudding, though. That’s exactly what i’m craving right now. Is it non-ethical to make lemon pudding cake at 11:30pm? :)

14. Tangled Noodle January 11, 2010 at 4:44 am #

This is what I need to make whenever the wintry gloom becomes too much and I’m in need of some sunshine (both UV and caloric kinds)!

I really enjoyed your musings on lemons and symbols. I try to keep in mind as I write my posts that my frames of reference and turns of phrases may be completely meaningless to many readers, just as I sometimes scratch my head with others’ statements.

15. Janice January 17, 2010 at 12:42 am #

very mouthwatering! looks absolutely delicous

16. Arwen from Hoglet K January 20, 2010 at 2:35 am #

Your picture of Solomon’s lover is hilarious! I enjoyed your rant on lemons and rain too. My mum calls this one Lemon Delicious Pudding.

17. joyce March 21, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

Since you addressed beginners, “failure to whisk egg whites in a separate bowl from batter”. Not every recipe makes it very clear, it goes like “this is taking so long…” and maybe “wait, what’s gonna get folded into the batter?”!

18. Anonymous April 14, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

This looks like excatly what I was looking for. I am gonna make this tomorrow’s dinner. :-)

19. anm April 30, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

It’s my favorite, too. I’ve been making this for years. IMO, Meyer lemons make a less tangy, less lemony, less interesting dessert. Make both and see what you think!

20. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Hi! Can this be served cold?

21. Admin June 5, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

Anon – Absolutely. In fact, I prefer it cold. The sauce will become much less runny once the cake is refrigerated, but the cake won’t be any less delicious, at least in my opinion.

22. Debbie October 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm #

Have one in the oven right now. I so hope it s a success. Followed your tips even though I am experienced baker. Is for one of the bosses birthdays at work tomorrow.

23. Sandra October 6, 2012 at 11:49 am #

Where is the recipe?

• Leela October 6, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

See where it says, “it’s right here”? Click on the word, “here.”

24. Cally November 4, 2012 at 7:22 pm #

These tips sound wonderful but where is the recipe??

• Leela November 4, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Cally, please see my answer to the comment right above you.

25. Barbara January 14, 2013 at 6:03 pm #

I made this wonderful cake and got sick. It has been in the fridge for 4 days. Is it still good?
    Hope so.

26. Maggie January 26, 2013 at 1:55 pm #

Can’t find the recipe! have right clicked ‘here’ but not sure if recipe shown is correct. Have also left click ‘here’ but no recipe shown.

1. Lemon Dessert Recipes for Easter « « TodaysMama TodaysMama - March 12, 2013