Banana Mascarpone Soufflé Pancakes

banana pancake recipe
The pancake batter is made in a similar way to a soufflé batter, i.e. egg whites, beaten stiff, are folded into a starchy, cheesy base. The result is pancakes that are light and substantial at the same time. The banana and cheese flavors, which permeate every tiny particle of the light and tender pancakes, come through with every bite.

Here’s another delicious answer to the question: “What can I make with overripe bananas?”

banana mascarpone pancake
Banana Mascarpone Soufflé Pancakes
(Makes 14 4-inch pancakes)
Printable Version

8 ounces purée of very, very ripe bananas
8 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened*
4 ounces all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, separated
2 ounces sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

mascarpone pancake recipe

• In a mixing bowl whisk together the banana purée, mascarpone, egg yolks, flour, sugar, and salt.
  • In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
  • Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the banana mixture; be careful not to deflate the aerated whites as they are the sole source of leavening power in this recipe.
  • Bake the batter on a griddle over medium or medium-low heat, 1/4 cup for each pancake. These pancakes are very delicate so be careful when you flip them. Also, the wait-until-the-edges-bubble-before-you-flip standard doesn’t apply here. The pancakes are so light that they cook very quickly. The moment the edges of the pancakes are firm enough to allow you to flip them, flip right away.
  • Serve warm. These pancakes are also great cold right out of the fridge.
  • *Other mild soft cheeses, such as cream cheese, ricotta or farmer, can also be used.

21 Responses to Banana Mascarpone Soufflé Pancakes

1. KennyT February 28, 2010 at 4:11 pm #

I can see how fluffy these pancakes are!! Heavenly!

2. pigpigscorner February 28, 2010 at 4:51 pm #

Love the idea of a souffle pancake!

3. Ed Schenk February 28, 2010 at 7:09 pm #

I use beaten egg whites when I make waffles. Makes them nice and light.

4. unclevinny February 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

Yum yum yum yum yum. Another thing to try, thanks!

5. Arwen from Hoglet K February 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

They sound divine! The perfect way to use up old bananas.

6. R. February 28, 2010 at 11:21 pm #

Sounds fantastic! I love the idea of light fluffy banana cakes YUM!

7. ♥peachkins♥ February 28, 2010 at 11:22 pm #

This is good breakfast!

8. Mel- GourmetFury.com March 1, 2010 at 1:43 am #

This sounds insane, girl. Wow. Took my breath away.

9. Danielle March 1, 2010 at 5:48 pm #

Looks heavenly! My husband is always bugging me about the ever-present bunch of over ripe bananas that I invariably end up throwing out. This would be a great way to appease Manly!

10. 5 Star Foodie March 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm #

Excellent pancake recipe, I love the idea of beating egg white separately and the pancakes must be so light and fluffy!

A question for you about sweet potatoes – does it have to be reg. sweet potato or can it be the white sweet potato? I’m doing different things, one of them I already posted (the reg. sweet potato gnocchi) and two others with white sweet potato, so I’m trying to figure out which one to best submit for your event 🙂

11. lisaiscooking March 1, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

Wow, do these look delicious! I love bananas with mascarpone (and mascarpone with just about anything), and these pancakes would be a fantastic way to start the day.

12. doggybloggy March 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm #

light, fluffy, perfect!

13. Karine March 2, 2010 at 12:46 am #

Your pancakes look fantastic! I heart mascarpone but I have never used it to make pancakes. Great idea 🙂

14. OysterCulture March 2, 2010 at 12:48 am #

I love the the souffle idea coupled with mascarpone and bananas and you have a hit. Not sure I could make these though – I’d have to share and I think that by the time I’m done cooking I do not think there’d be any left for me. Must figure out a way to ensure fair servings

15. Don March 2, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Cool, so I’m not the only one who likes the cheese/banana flavour combination! 🙂

Your pancakes look incredibly light and fluffy. Must have been delicious.

I think I found the recipe from your blog I want to try. Umm, well…the 20th, but who’s counting 😛

16. Michele March 3, 2010 at 5:42 am #

What a fabulous recipe!

17. Carolyn Jung March 5, 2010 at 2:02 am #

Oh sure, just kill me with these pics! Not only do you take my fave banana pancakes and make them look so fluffy and golden, but you add my sinful addiction — mascarpone. Oh my, oh my! I think I am slobbering at my keyboard. 😉

18. Dawn March 7, 2010 at 4:41 pm #

Yum! Making these right now. Your recipe doesn’t indicate when to add the mascarpone, but I’m assuming it goes in with the banana mixture before the egg whites. Is that correct?

19. Leela March 7, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

Duh. It’s now fixed. Thanks so much, Dawn! 🙂

20. Anonymous December 17, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

Made it just while ago, I used normal non stick pan – very, very tasty!! Only it will take some time to master flipping these… Eaten with more mascarpone spreaded on top 🙂 Definetely make again!

1. Panko-Crusted Fried Baby Bananas - April 12, 2015

[…] banana recipes Thai Fried Bananas Bananas Who Have Entered Nunhood Banana Mascarpone Soufflé Pancakes Baby Bananas in Heavy Syrup Pressed Grilled Bananas in Panela-Coconut […]