Spiced Apple Macaroni and Cheese

macaroni and cheese recipe
I know this may sound strange to some as many people don’t necessarily consider macaroni and cheese as anything but a savory dish. Nevertheless, the concept of sweet or savory-sweet macaroni and cheese has been around for a long time. Dishes wherein egg noodles are baked in sweetened dairy-based cream sauce exist in different cuisines around the world, mainly Eastern European. And though the names by which this type of dish is called vary just as greatly as the cuisines of which it’s part, I simply call it, “delicious.”

mac and cheese recipe
There are many different ways to make kugel. You could ask ten people to bring a pan of kugel, made according to their own family recipe, to a potluck and I’m willing to bet that there will be no two identical kugels among those ten. This also means there isn’t any consensus on what an ideal kugel is supposed to look and taste like even though, from my experience, people tend to use their childhood kugel as the one and only standard and their grandmother or mother as the sole arbiter of good kugel.

There are some rough guidelines, but in the end, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, deliciousness is in the mouth of the eater.

apple kugel recipe
After having sampled innumerable kugels, I’ve found that the ones I like the most are not overly sweet and contain one or two salty elements. I adore the savory-sweet flavor combination. When the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board contacted me to come up with a mac ‘n cheese recipe showcasing the deliciousness of Wisconsin-made cheeses, I agonized over what to make for, like, 3 seconds before the conclusion was reached.

Our mac ‘n cheese recipe is inspired by the coconut caramelized apples with 5-spice powder which I made back in the fall. The recipe has been greatly simplified so as to make this sweet mac ‘n cheese not too complicated. After all, the cheeses and noodles are the stars of the show; the spiced apple compote, as delicious as it is, is just the add-in.

kugel apple recipe
The mixture of Mascarpone cheese, sour cream, and eggs is used to mimic the traditional Béchamel. The spiced apple compote provides additional moisture and sweetness. Grated Fontiago© cheese goes on top to create that much-loved crust that everybody likes. It also provides a subtle savory element to the dish.

Have you had Fontiago cheese, by the way? I have only recently discovered this American-made cheese. The name probably clues you in as to what it tastes like: a combination of the Italian Fontina and Asiago. Fontiago combines the sharpness of Asiago and the mellow flavor of Fontina. The mildly “nutty” flavor of Fontiago balances out the sweetness of the sugar, the sweet-tangy apple compote, and the creaminess of Mascarpone and sour cream very well.

kugel apple recipe
The result is a kugel-inspired macaroni and cheese that is warm, gooey, and cheesy right out of the oven. The flavor is only mildly sweet which is how I like it. The Fontiago cheese on the top melts like a dream and forms the cheesy “strings” that never fail to make kids and adults alike go, “Ooh.**

Left to cool down a bit, or refrigerated, the baked noodles firm up and become more dense. You can cut a piece and pick it up to eat with your hand. I like it both ways.

apple kugel recipe
For the recipe, please follow this link.

16 Responses to Spiced Apple Macaroni and Cheese

1. Rick February 9, 2010 at 2:33 pm #

Interesting, Mac and Cheese being one of those comfort foods, will have to give this one a try…looks yummy

2. Bob February 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

Sweet merciful crap. That looks amazing. I’ve never actually had kugel, I’m not sure what’s wrong with me…

3. Anna February 9, 2010 at 3:15 pm #

This is a great idea! Cheese and apples go so well together and what’s not to love about gooey, cheesy noodles.

4. Jenn February 9, 2010 at 7:10 pm #

That so awesome. I never would have thought to pair apples with mac and cheese. I guess I’ve eaten it the old fashioned way for so long I just never tried it any other way.

5. 5 Star Foodie February 9, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

What a neat creative fusion dish! I must try it for sure – would be a total hit at my house!

6. Juliana February 10, 2010 at 4:10 pm #

Leela, this is so different, what a nice combination of sweet and salty flavors…I know I would love it…nice pictures as well 🙂

7. pigpigscorner February 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Love salty and sweet and combo too! This looks so good, I just want to dig in.

8. Quasi Serendipita February 10, 2010 at 9:56 pm #

This sounds awesome 🙂

9. Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog February 10, 2010 at 11:51 pm #

Love this twist to the traditional mac and cheese! Excellent and creative idea 🙂

Cheers,

Gera

10. Laura Jannika February 11, 2010 at 3:54 am #

This looks beautiful!!! I think I will try it!

11. Marc @ NoRecipes February 15, 2010 at 4:00 am #

Hahhaah I often have these eastern european grandma fantasies as well. This looks fantastic, and I’m all about finding new ways to use foods that are usually only used to savoury dishes.

12. Uncle Vinny April 11, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

Yumtastic! Not sure how I missed this recipe the first time…

13. superkaika September 23, 2010 at 3:51 pm #

I’m not Russian, I’m Polish (and many people would say “isn’t it the same?”) but our culinary traditions are somehow similiar. When I was a kid, my favourite pudding would be this recipe, but with rice boiled in milk instead of macaroni. Thank you for reminding me of this delicious treat! 🙂

1. Caramelized Onion Pasta Gratin « 30 Days 30 Ways with Macaroni & Cheese - January 18, 2013

[…] year, I shared with you one of my favorite macaroni and cheese recipes, Spiced Apple Macaroni and Cheese, which happens to be a bit unusual in that it is not a savory pasta gratin. Well, the lack of […]

2. The Best Vareniki Dough Recipe from Valya - How to Make Vareniki S Syrom (Вареники с Сыром) | SheSimmersSheSimmers - March 27, 2013

[…] see, I don’t have a Russian/Ukrainian/Polish/Etc. grandmother (except an imaginary one), and so I didn’t grow up eating filled dumplings made in the various Eastern European […]

3. Caramelized Onion Pasta Gratin a.k.a. French Onion Soup Macaroni and Cheese | SheSimmersSheSimmers - March 17, 2014

[…] year, I developed for the Wisconsin Cheese Board one of my favorite macaroni and cheese recipes, Spiced Apple Macaroni and Cheese, which happens to be a bit unusual in that it is not a savory pasta gratin. I have been asked once […]