homemade lollipop recipe
Rumor has been going around that I am the Grinch who destroyed Valentine’s. I don’t know how it got started. Sure, I might have said something that seems to suggest that I hate Valentine’s. The truth is, deep — really deep — down, despite the fact that I am the type that starts a new year with a requiem, I am quite a romantic. Please believe me.

Just not in ways that most people are used to is all.

how to make lollipop
To prove it, I’ll tell you this: Ever since I published my first blog post on how to make lollipops, I’ve been making them over and over and over, sometimes for no other reason than that it makes me happy. Now, someone who makes these cute, colorful lollipops cannot possibly be the Grinch, can they?

So far my favorite color and flavor are red and cherry respectively. The reason, I believe, is self-evident. These things are bright red, 3.5 inches in diameter, glossy, sweet, fragrant of cherry, and — get this — its sole reason to exist is to melt in your mouth.

So for those who celebrate Valentine’s, won’t you make these for whomever it is that celebrates it along with you? The rest of us will watch from the sidelines.

lollipop recipe
The recipe which I gave you last year works and works consistently. These past several months, I have tested and retested it.

Be sure to get a good, reliable candy thermometer and metal lollipop molds with grooves for the sticks. Make sure you don’t stir the molten sugar. Grease the mold with unflavored oil before you pour the lollipop mixture into it. Once the lollipops get unmolded, run them under warm tap water to wash off the grease, but do not blot them dry with a piece of cloth or paper towel as that will leave ugly lint on the surface.

Lastly, store the lollipops in clear plastic bags with decorative ribbons or what have you, but do not, under any circumstances, touch the surface lest your valentine witness your fingerprints on the otherwise beautiful lollipops.

homemade lollipop recipe
Other than that, it’s just a matter of keeping the sticks in the middle. The first 2-3 minutes after the hot sugar goes into the molds, you will have to babysit it a little. When the liquid is still very hot, it lacks the viscosity which helps hold the sticks in place. After 2-3 minutes, the liquid will start to harden a bit and that’s when the sticks will stay where you want them which is right in the middle.

how to make homemade lollipop

Make sure the tip of the stick is fully submerged; it shouldn’t stick out like that.

For this batch, I double the recipe in order to make six 3.5″ lollipops. The procedure is the same. The cooking is only slightly longer. I use red food coloring instead of green as shown in the original post. Lastly, I use cherry extract for baking which I’ve purchased online from a company whose namesake is a mythical figure who became king just because “some watery tart threw a sword” at him.

homemade lollipop recipe
Additional notes would be that you shouldn’t worry so much if there are bubbles in your molten sugar. By the time the lollipops harden, the bubble problem will have somehow worked itself out. I wish I could explain it scientifically, but I can’t.

20 Responses to How to Make Homemade Lollipops – Celebrate Valentine’s with Big Red Cherry Lollipops

1. Chef Fresco February 11, 2010 at 2:40 am #

How cute! I’ve certainly never made lollipops. Perfect for Valentine’s day!

2. 5 Star Foodie February 11, 2010 at 4:32 am #

Cool! That would be a great project to do with my daughter tomorrow (she’s had no school for a week cause of the snow storm!)

3. Jenn February 11, 2010 at 5:41 am #

Can I have a lollipop? Those would be great gifts for a loved one.

4. Rick February 11, 2010 at 5:51 am #

Leela, seriously the valentine grinch, nobody believed that.
    Not when you talk about cute dresses and expensive shoes.

5. Janice February 11, 2010 at 7:22 am #

Didn’t realize how easy lollipops are to make. I gotta make some and give them out.

6. Rick February 11, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

You can also make cookies with cutouts in them and incorporate your candy mixture in the center…imagine a heart shaped cookie with a heart shaped candy in the center. I made those before with a christmas theme…

7. Leela February 11, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks for the tip, Rick. A heart-shaped cookie with a heart-shaped candy in the center, eh? Romantic overload. I can’t stand it.

8. ♥peachkins♥ February 11, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

awwww..these are very cute!

9. Bob February 11, 2010 at 6:26 pm #

That’s awesome. Something I never would have thought to make myself.

10. Memória February 12, 2010 at 12:02 am #

These look perfect!!

11. OysterCulture February 13, 2010 at 1:22 am #

Ah what fun and I think lollipops are the perfect Valentine’s sweet. Have not made lollipops in a long time, need to rethink that,

12. Arwen from Hoglet K February 13, 2010 at 7:12 am #

Very cute, but if you want the full kitsch you probably need a heart-shaped mould.

13. Ju (The Little Teochew) February 13, 2010 at 7:37 am #

OMG! They are so, so cute! They put a smile on anyone’s face!

14. Erin @ OneParticular Kitchen February 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm #

I heart you so much for the watery tart line. Quite possibly best movie ever! And prettiest lollipops I’ve ever seen too!

15. Lucy February 13, 2010 at 7:12 pm #

These are beautiful, what a pretty treat! Love it 🙂

16. diva March 10, 2010 at 10:13 am #

This post is so well written and thanks for the recipe. Gonna use it for Easter! 😛

17. Anonymous January 11, 2011 at 8:17 am #

Does anyone know how to add the white writing on them like at the store. I’d like to write xoxo or love on them. And for my guy; sexy messages.

18. Leela January 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm #

Anon – You can write on the lollipops with stiff royal icing. Mix 2 parts powdered sugar with 1/2 part egg white or meringue powder (craft stores have this in the cake decorating section — 4-ounce can made by Wilton) and just enough water to create a paste that isn’t too runny or too thick. After piping the letters on the lollipops you need to let the icing completely harden before wrapping the lollipops with plastic.

19. Jennifer January 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm #

Where did you get your molds? From the picture they look metal – but no amount of googling has found me any similar ones.

20. Leela January 26, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

Jennifer – Correct. You cannot use plastic molds as the hot syrup will melt them on the spot; the molds must be metal. I use round Wilton cookie treat pans. They come in several shapes and can often be found in the cake decorating section in your local craft stores.