Homemade Sriracha – How to Make Thai Sriracha ซ้อสศรีราชา

In continuing our Stock Your Thai Pantry series, one item that must be mentioned is Sriracha sauce (ซ้อสศรีราชา) — the all-purpose hot sauce that, according to the most prominent yet unsubstantiated theory, originated from a city after which it was named. I can’t think of any hot sauce that is more widely used and versatile when it comes to the modern Thai cuisine. Even though Sriracha has become a generic name for similar hot sauces made both domestically and outside of Thailand, the Thai palates don’t have a hard time recognizing the authentic spicy, sweet, tangy, garlicky sauce that we grew up with.

Folks seem a bit touchy when the subject of Sriracha (what’s authentic and what’s not, whether the name should be used to call non-Thai products, etc.) is brought up. So I will try my best to write this post in the most just-the-fact-ma’am way as I possibly can.

It has been suggested that Sriracha sauce is a sauce made according to a tradition begun in and around the city of Si Racha(อำเภอศรีราชา), a Thai eastern province of Chonburi(จังหวัดชลบุรี) — hence the name. But this has yet to be substantiated. Regardless, what we do know is that it is a sauce that originated from and has been heavily used in Thailand.

The sauce is traditionally made of fresh larger red peppers or พริกชี้ฟ้า (never dried peppers and usually not small bird’s eye ones or พริกขี้หนู), vinegar (white only — never rice or cider vinegar), garlic, sugar, and salt. It should also be noted that Sriracha sauce never contains tomatoes.1 Additionally, Sriracha always has smooth texture; it’s never chunky. When you look at it, you should not see pepper seeds or chunks of pepper skin. The sauce, as we know it in Thailand, does not have the texture of sambal — a sauce which, though delicious, should not be confused with Sriracha.

Thai Sriracha, according to my observation, is runnier and sweeter than the US-made Sriracha. The flavor lends itself very well to Thai dishes, especially those that can sometimes be a bit on the greasy side. (The heat and the tang help restore the balance.) I drizzle it on Thai omelet, turn it into a dipping sauce or a dipping sauce base, make a stir-fry sauce or marinade out of it, and use it as a barbecue sauce.

There are many other ways to use Thai Sriracha which I will mention here in future posts.

homemade thai sriracha sauce recipe

Strain, but don’t overdo it; let some of the fine pulp go through the mesh to give the sauce body.

As an aside, to clear up the issue once and for all,the correct pronunciation of Sriracha, as recognized by literate native speakers of the Thai language, is see-rah-chah.2

Why make your own Sriracha? After all — not that I’ve ever conducted a nationwide poll — most Thai people don’t make their own Sriracha in much the same way as how Americans don’t normally make their own ketchup. But I, personally3, make my own Sriracha, because:

• I can. Anyone can.
  • I want to. It’s kind of fun.
  • I can adjust the seasoning to taste.
  • I know exactly what goes into my food.
  • It’s more economical.
  • The flavor is bolder and fresher; the pepper and the garlic pack more punch.
  • One 32-ounce batch lasts a long time. It can even be frozen.
  • I have a killer recipe in my hand. (It comes from an unidentified source who does not wish that his name be made public.) Let’s just say, if the dominant brands in the US market, namely Shark and Sriraja Panich, had a love child, it would taste like this. For those who seek to replicate Huy Fong Sriracha, aka the rooster sauce, you’ll be disappointed by this recipe. This formula is for the kind of Sriracha sauce that we use in Thailand.

how to make homemade sriracha

Homemade Sriracha - How to Make Thai Sriracha ซ้อสศรีราชา

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Condiment, Sauce
Serves: 1 quart (32 fluid ounces)
Ingredients
  • 24 ounces (weight) fresh red jalapeño or serrano peppers, no substitute
  • 8 ounces (weight) peeled garlic cloves
  • 4 fluid ounces white vinegar
  • 12 fluid ounces water
  • 16 ounces (weight) granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons salt (You can add more — up to 8 tablespoons — if it’s not salty enough, but it’s better to start with less.)
Instructions
  1. Purée the first four ingredients together in a blender; strain the liquid into a heavy-bottomed pot, squeezing out as much liquid out of the pulp as you possibly can. It's important that you don't use a strainer with too fine mesh as you want to incorporate some pulp into the sauce. It's some of the fine pulp that passes through the strainer that gives the sauce body. If there's no pulp at all in the strained mixture, you'll end up with a hot, sweet, sticky syrup with may not taste so bad but it will lack the consistency of Thai Sriracha.
  2. Whisk the rest of the ingredients into the pepper-garlic purée and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
  3. Reduce the heat and let the sauce simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is reduced down to about 4 cups and thickened up a bit, stirring occasionally. If you like your sauce less runny, reduce it longer; the recipe will yield less volume, but the sauce will be thicker and more intense.
  4. Let the sauce cool completely before storing in a glass jar. If you don’t stick a dirty spoon into the jar every time you use your sauce, your Sriracha will keep, refrigerated, for a month. It can also be frozen and thawed in the refrigerator.
  5. The sauce tastes best if left in the refrigerator for two days after it was made to allow the flavor to mellow out a bit. From that point on, the garlic isn’t quite so strong and the pepper isn’t quite so harsh and fiery.

1 Sriracha must not be confused with spicy tomato ketchup which is also commercially available in Thailand, though not nearly as popular or delicious, in my opinion.
2 Ignore the first R; it’s merely an unvocalized remnant of the original Sanskrit. All three syllables are open (CV) with clear breaks between them and must be pronounced in such a way that indicates these breaks (in other words, not SIR-otch-ah).
3 As opposed to impersonally? (Eyeroll)

76 Responses to Homemade Sriracha – How to Make Thai Sriracha ซ้อสศรีราชา

1. Bob March 16, 2010 at 9:32 pm #

You’re a savior! I haven’t been able to find sriracha around here. Now I’ll just make my own.

2. Jenn March 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

Sweet!!! Bookmarked. No need to go to the store now. :)

3. Stefanie March 16, 2010 at 11:57 pm #

I just stumbled on your blog this afternoon and happened to peak at the Water Buffalo blog. I didn’t see any way to post a comment there, so I’m posting one here. I couldn’t help but notice your appreciation of dead languages and your post on Babel Fish’s failings. As a classicist I’m always amazed to find non-classicists who enjoy dead languages (Latin and ancient Greek in particular). I love it!

Anyways I’m off to peruse your recipes! I’m sure I’ll thoroughly enjoy them as much as your posts over in Water Buffalo territory.

4. Leela March 17, 2010 at 12:03 am #

Stefanie – Thanks. :) The Water Buffalo is a place where I geek out — something I can’t do here without being picked on. I’m more of a hebraist, but I do love Latin and koine Greek. Perhaps I’ll turn on the comment on my other blog. Thanks for a visit and a kind note. :)

5. Danielle March 17, 2010 at 3:14 am #

I have been a lover of Srirachi forever. Long before it became popular in the US. I have a bottle in the fridge and two in the cupboard because I’m afraid I will run out! How’s that for being a junky!?! However I love when I can make something myself instead of buying. It will always taste fresher and you can control the quality, heat level, etc. Thanks for this. Now I will never have to jones again!

6. Anh March 17, 2010 at 6:15 am #

I am so happy to find you! this post is excellent. The Vietnamese has something similar (perhaps less sweet?) and I love it!

7. Dharm March 17, 2010 at 11:29 am #

Wow! Cool blog you have here. I just stumbled upon it and this is the first time I’m hearing about Sriracha – even though I love Thai food and live just south of Thailand – in Malaysia!!

8. karen March 17, 2010 at 2:41 pm #

My only experience with Sriracha is the Huy Fong brand. I’m really curious as to what the sweeter Thai version might taste like. I haven’t seen red jalapenos in my market, though. I’ll have to check out the asian market, or set some up to grow in the garden this summer. You can never have too many hot peppers in the garden :D

9. Riley March 17, 2010 at 3:34 pm #

I sent this post to my sriracha-loving husband, and he passed all around his sriracha-loving office. It was a big hit. :) Thanks!
    -Melanie
    (@rileycoyote)

10. oysterCulture March 17, 2010 at 4:39 pm #

Woohoo – Cannot wait to introduce this sauce to my Bruno – they’ be fast pals.. There is just no comparison with the homemade stuff. We had some recently at a Thai restaurant in our neighborhood and we literally could not stop eating it. We ordered extra rice so we had something to put it on – can’t wait to have my own.

11. Eric Ackerson March 17, 2010 at 6:12 pm #

Hi Leela,

As always your recipes and great photos have helped keep me inspired.

I have sent yourself and Melody Fury an award of recognition in a posting on my blog.

Thank you for helping get me going…here is the link to the posting.

12. pigpigscorner March 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm #

Love this! I always have a bottle in my pantry. Have to try making my own one day!

13. 5 Star Foodie March 18, 2010 at 3:47 am #

I love the picture of sriracha in the glass! I can’t wait to make it at home!

14. Tangled Noodle March 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm #

Thank you not only for the pronunciation guide but also for clarifying what precisely IS sriracha. I must admit that as I started to read, my first question was, “Is this like sambal?” Your has gone straight to the printer (but has also been bookmarked).

15. Rebecca March 19, 2010 at 2:57 pm #

In Cananda, the most common brand of Sriracha is Rooster brand, to the point where almost no other brands are ever used.
    Interestingly, it is most often associated with Vietnamese cuisine here, as every pho restaurant will have a big bottle of it on the table next to the hoisin.

16. Leela March 19, 2010 at 3:08 pm #

Rebecca – The so-called rooster sauce is precisely the kind of “Sriracha” that this recipe will *not* produce. Huy Fong Sriracha is made in California by Vietnamese-American proprietors. Also, like you said, it is often, if not always, found in Vietnamese eateries. It is a delicious sauce and goes very well with many dishes. I love my rooster sauce!

However, authentic Thai Sriracha is very different from the rooster sauce. And if it is the rooster sauce one wants to create based on this recipe, it will turn out to be a disappointment.

17. Emma March 21, 2010 at 11:47 am #

Oh, thank you for this recipe. I love Sriracha, but haven’t found a good recipe of it, this sounds amazing! :)

18. grace March 22, 2010 at 8:46 am #

excellent. i had no idea how one would make sriracha (or how to say the darn word), and i can now count myself among the informed. i intend to flaunt this new knowledge. :)

19. Tony March 24, 2010 at 7:37 pm #

Oh man! Great post! I love sriracha but never really thought of making it myself. I had heard that the “rooster sauce” is not authentic but I’ve never seen an authentic version around to compare it too. Thanks!

20. Anonymous March 27, 2010 at 4:49 pm #

I just made it. Very good.

I also love the “Rooster”. It goes well with other foods also, even my thai dishes. Different tastes for different folks. Don’t knock the “Rooster”, it’s an American product made in America. Everything else is made in China.

21. bingo1912 April 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

Great post!
    I’m always making what I can instead of buying it. One more thing my wife will be wondering what in the heck is he making now,,,lol
    Thanks for all the history too. :)

22. Anonymous April 24, 2010 at 2:16 am #

I just made this this afternoon and it tastes EXACTLY like Shark!! Thank you so much. I never ever thought I could make my own sriracha. So excited! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I hate the Cock Sauce by the way. It’s horrible and full of crappy preservatives. The Thai version is so much better.

xoxoxox
    Lisette

23. Leela April 24, 2010 at 2:35 pm #

Lisette – Thanks for the report. Glad you like it. This is so easy to make, right? I don’t hate the rooster sauce (I prefer “rooster” to, uh, “cock”). Thai Sriracha can be too runny and sweet for some applications, and that’s where the American rooster sauce comes in nicely. But if I have to choose one, it will be the traditional Thai Sriracha.

24. Fernando Rueda May 15, 2010 at 2:25 am #

Hi Leela, I’m looking for a sweet chilli sauce and I want to know what’s the difference between this one and Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce. Thanks for your help!

25. Leela May 15, 2010 at 2:35 am #

Hi Fernando – Sriracha is nothing like Thai sweet chilli sauce in terms of taste or appearance. What you’re looking for can be found here: http://bit.ly/2YYIzD

Sorry, you won’t be able to copy and paste the link. You can also access the recipe by googling “thai sweet chilli sauce.” Mine should come up on the first page of the search results.

I’ve also featured the sweet chilli sauce as featured recipe of the week. The link can be found on the sidebar on the right hand side. Just click on the image. :)

26. Fernando Rueda May 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm #

Thanks for your quick answer. I bought some jalapeños (or simply “aji” as we call it here), garlic and vinegar this morning to make your delicous recipe of Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce. I’ll tell you how was it.

27. Anonymous September 7, 2010 at 3:43 am #

Leela, here’s what I hate about this whole sriracha thing. There are too damn many faux sriracha recipes out there. When the New York Times printed that stupid article and people were pissed off about it on Twitter, I thought, hey, you wanna call your hot sauce sriracha, no big deal. I call it the Cock Sauce, they can call it whatever the hell they want. it’s a free country.

Now recipes claiming to be sriracha are all over the internet and I’m seriously pissed at the chutzpah of people who concoct a hot sauce, any hot sauce and call it sriracha. For god’s sake, why can’t they just call it hot sauce and leave it at that? That’s what it is, a hot sauce. Why sriracha? It’s not made in sriracha. It doesn’t look or taste like sriracha. It’s NOT frigging sriracha. Why? Cuz it’s made to look and taste like fake sriracha. That’s why. I don’t know why people with any semblance of common sense can’t see this.

I like my cock sauce, don’t get me wrong. But to see dumb people making their dumb hot sauce to taste like the cock sauce and call it sriracha is just annoying to say to least.

You should do something about it. I’m just a farang and I can’t stand it. You Thais aren’t gonna say anything?

Tim Hoffman
    Chantaburi

28. Leela September 7, 2010 at 3:58 am #

Tim – Appreciate your passion, but am not sure what you want me to do here. The name has become generic. And when you mention Sriracha sauce in the US, unless you’re a Thai or have been to/lived in Thailand, it’s most likely Huy Fong sauce that you’ll think of. The only inconvenience for me is the fact that every time I talk about Sriracha, I have to go say something along the lines of, “I know I say Sriracha, but I’m not talking about Huy Fong Sriracha.” Not a major inconvenience, but it’s getting old.

As for all the Sriracha recipes out there, they don’t bother me. People have the rights to interpret recipes. What I’ve done in this post is to share what the kind of Sriracha as made in its birthplace is like.

Relax. :)

29. Anonymous September 7, 2010 at 4:11 am #

Yeah interpret recipes. I’m sure thats what they do. If I come up with my own ketchup that doesn’t taste anything like ketchup and looks all lumpy like marinara sauce then call it Tim’s Ketchup, I wonder what the sriracha “interpreters” would say. To have something like the cock sauce be called sriracha is annoying enough. To have a bunch of know nothings perpetuate that silliness is just pissing me off. If you don’t care, then good for you.

Tim

30. Leela September 7, 2010 at 4:34 am #

Can’t we just talk about how to spell or pronounce Sriracha? I’m better at that …

31. Anonymous September 7, 2010 at 1:13 pm #

I don’t think you understand what I was trying to say, Leela. I like Thai sriracha. I tried your recipe. It tastes exactly like sriracha. It’s the other dumb recipes claiming to be sriracha that I hate.

Tim

32. Anonymous September 27, 2010 at 7:42 pm #

Leela,

At the risk of being beaten for heresy, is it possible to use a sugar substitute for some of the sugar in the recipe (we have a diabetic in the family) and if so, can your recommend a ratio?

Many thanks!

33. Leela September 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

Anon – Oh, you heretic you. Just kidding. :)

I think it would be perfectly fine. Without the additional moisture from the regular granulated sugar, you’re certainly going to end up with less sauce. What I would do is follow the instructions as written, except for the sugar part.

The simmering in this case is done in order to sterilize the puree and cook off the raw garlic and pepper taste and not so much to evaporate/reduce the sauce. Once the sauce reaches desired consistency (which won’t take that long in the absence of sugar), I’d let it cool completely. Then sweeten to taste with sugar substitute. (It’s harder to season to taste when the sauce is still hot.)

As for the amount, I can’t say for sure since different sugar subs have different tastes and I’ve never cooked with any of them. Seasoning to taste seems like the safest bet, though.

I’d be interested in knowing how it goes. Would appreciate your coming back here with a report. Thanks. :)

34. Anonymous September 27, 2010 at 8:24 pm #

Thanks for the quick response Leela!

I will definitely report back on my experiments.

Thanks again!

PS – love the site!!

35. Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 5:14 am #

Excellent! I cannot wait to try it. One question: how do you store it once made and for how long?

36. Leela September 30, 2010 at 6:16 pm #

Anon – I usually divide the approximately 32 ounces of sauce in half. One half goes into a half-pint mason jar and kept in the refrigerator to use for the following 2 weeks (that’s about how long it keeps in the fridge) and the other half goes into a quart-sized ziploc bag and is stored in the freezer for months. To thaw, I put the bag with frozen sauce inside in a bowl and put it in the fridge overnight, then transfer it into a mason jar.

There are 1 mason jar of sauce in the fridge and 6 bags of sauce in the freezer right now as we speak. :)

37. Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Thank you so much! Good to know! :)

38. Anonymous January 20, 2011 at 7:17 am #

You’re a great cook, pretty and intelligent to top it all.

39. Leela January 20, 2011 at 1:31 pm #

Anon – My ego says, “Thank you.”

40. Anonymous February 13, 2011 at 5:55 am #

That’s a truckload of sugar, isn’t it? Twice as much sugar as garlic? Seems a bit unbalanced to me.

41. Leela February 13, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Anon – Not sure what you mean by “balanced” — all ingredients in equal amounts? Traditional Thai Sriracha is on the sweet side. Perhaps you’re thinking American Sriracha, Huy Fong, which is very different.

42. Curtis Wong February 27, 2011 at 6:22 am #

Leela,

I have a question. I reduced the put the mixture in the sauce pan as suggested and added 16 ozs of sugar and 6 tablespoons of sugar. i brought it to a boil over med heat and let it simmer for a while. Now I have a thick sauce. BUT it’s brown, not red. Is that just part of the caramelization of the sugar?

I’m not sure how much I should be reducing the sauce. I also noticed that a film developed on top (probably the sugar caramelizing again. I just skimmed it off.

It’s sitting in the fridge now. I’ll try it again in two days…

Wonderful website

Curtis

43. Leela February 27, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Curtis – You mean 16 ounces of sugar and 6 tablespoons of salt, right? Or did you actually add 6 tablespoons extra sugar to the mixture?

Regardless, I have a feeling it could be because the chilies weren’t pureed finely enough for the pulp to get through the strainer mesh. It’s the pulp that gives the sauce the bidy. With enough pulp in the mixture, the pre-cooked sauce is almost the consistency of bottled Sriracha and doesn’t need to be cooked for long at all. Normally, you start off with bright red/orange mixture which turns a tad more brown once cooked, but if the sauce is brown then I think it’s because there’s not enough pulp in it and what you’re reducing is just chili-flavored syrup.

However, if that wasn’t the case, it could be because the sauce was reducing too long. Thai Sriracha is meant to be runny, by the way, so if you tried to make it as thick as Huy Fing Sriracha, you’re not going to end up with what it’s supposed to be. To minimize reduction time, use a wider and shallower pan. The more surface area, the faster the evaporation. The faster the evaporation, the less time it takes to reduce something.

Hope this helps!

44. Curtis Wong March 1, 2011 at 4:05 am #

Leela, I used a cloth to squeeze out the juice so not much pulp was in the sauce. I did use 6 tablespoons of SALT not sugar (typo on my part). Thanks for the advice. I also am not sure if I used the right peppers. They told me I purchased red jalapenos…..I’ll used a strainer next time and a wider based sauce pan. I think I just have chile syrup….it’s still smells good :-)

Back to the drawing board. THANKS!!!!!

45. Willy Wonky August 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

Thank you for the recipe. I enjoy Sriracha, but sometimes don’t want to eat garlic. Your recipe will allow me to make a batch without. :)

46. Admin August 28, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

Willy – This recipe does contain garlic.

47. Anonymous October 29, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

To the earlier question regarding sugar substitutes: we have made this recipe with Agave syrup, proprotioned to 3/4 the amount of sugar, depending on the size batch you are making. Delicious. Great recipe. Huge hit at home and as giveaway to friends, family, and co-workers. Have made this with all types of peppers and various types vinegar as well – each unique and tasty.

48. Admin October 29, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

Anon – Very helpful tip. I truly appreciate you dropping by to share with us what you’ve learned.

49. Anonymous July 7, 2012 at 10:15 pm #

Hi Leela,

I just made your recipe for Sriracha and it tastes excellent even without mellowing in the fridge yet. One question I have is whether you seed your peppers first? When I pureed the peppers, garlic, etc. in my blender it still left whole seeds in the puree (which were then strained out) but in your picture of the puree I see no seeds and my sauce sure came out super hot (but I’m fine with that). I suspect I’d have a less hot sauce if I seeded the peppers first. Anyway this sure is simple to make and tasty!

Cheers,
    Bradford G. (Harvard, MA)

50. Admin July 7, 2012 at 10:56 pm #

Bradford – I usually don’t remove the seeds. The reason there doesn’t seem to be any seeds in the purée is probably because I blend the pepper mixture in a Vitamix (it can liquefy an avocado pit).

51. Franci July 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

Hi Leela, I was about to ask about the seeds myself… I thought you might use a vitamix, indeed.

I do have a question about the garlic, though. I made the recipe yesterday. Now fresh garlic is in season, so that’s what I used. I tasted the sauce raw and cooked. Does the garlic get more pungent when cooked? Some of the cloves where a little green, I’m not taking about the germ, which was not there being fresh, just a green tip. I didn’t mind the raw garlic flavour but I found it, once cooked, a little stinckier and more pungent. Hopefully it’s going to mellow a bit with some time.

I also made your sweet chilli sauce.

thanks

Frnacesca

52. Admin July 11, 2012 at 7:03 pm #

Francesca – I don’t know about garlic getting more pungent once cooked … I tend to think raw garlic is stronger. But, anyway, yes, this sauce does get more mellow after a day or two.

53. Franci July 13, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I’m back to report that I’ll definitely going to try some of your recipes to use the sriracha.
    Today I made lamb kidneys with lentils from River Cottage but since I wanted to serve it to my toddler, I hold off the spicy stuff until I took a small portion out and added some sriracha to the rest. Killer recipe. Delish.

Ah, and the seeds and skins that stayed in my sift after making the sriracha ended up in my dehydratator. Very stong and garlicky, perfect for my next jerky.

Merci

54. Ami November 20, 2012 at 3:32 am #

Wow…I have been reading your website for the last 2 hours! (It’s 3:30 am right now, which shows how fascinated I am!) I love that you explain things like the different soy sauces and basic Thai techniques. I absolutely love Thai food, and I even worked for a bit at a Thai restaurant to try and pick up some skills. T
    Your website, I can tell, will go a long way to furthering my education. :)
    Quick question…what kind of salt do you use? Is it 6 Tbs table salt or coarse kosher?
    Thanks!

• Leela November 20, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Thanks, Ami. That would be table salt.

55. Jasmine December 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm #

I’m looking for a sugar-free version of sriracha. Has anyone ever tried making this with Stevia?

56. Ann K. January 17, 2013 at 11:17 am #

Yes, Sriraja Panich chili sauce, also known as Sriracha sauce, was created over 80 years ago in Si-racha district. You can find it at Whole Foods, Asian aisle in NYC.

57. KortezTK February 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm #

I was reading the Huffington Post today and came across this Sriracha Sauce article. I thought I’d post the URL here. There is a video at the bottom of the story. It’s pretty interesting, especially since you turned us onto the homemade variety!

• Leela February 22, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

Thank you. It needs to be stressed, though, that what is generally referred to as Sriracha in the US is quite different from Thai Sriracha. This recipe represents the homemade version of the latter and may not be appropriate to use in the ways the article recommends (Thai Sriracha is pretty runnier and sweeter).

• KortezTK February 22, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

I agree, and I have been trying various Thai Sriracha sauces. They are better than the US Sriracha, in my opinion, because of the flavorful nature of the Thai Sriracha.

Your Sriracha recipe has become my favorite, and I’ve made it I think six times now, using a Vitamix blender and a fine strainer. The body of your sauce is very nice. We have used it for the shrimp recipe, chicken, and catfish. Each time we’ve been very satisfied with it, so thanks!

58. Jamie September 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm #

Can this sauce be canned?

• Leela September 29, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Jamie – I have not tested the pH level of this sauce, so no idea. Sorry.

59. Asia Traveler October 24, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Not sure if you have been to Thailand or Vietnam, but the original California-made Huy Fong Sriracha (and all the copy-cats) are much more like the Vietnamese hot sauce than any of the hot sauces I have had in Thailand (including any that I’ve tried in Chonburi Province ). The Thai varieties are all a lot sweeter than Sriracha, and the peppers they use to make (most) of the thai varieties are either dried and a little smokier, or they are fresh birds-eye and a LOT hotter than Sriracha. The sauces that most restaurants in Saigon and the surrounding provinces make taste almost EXACTLY like Sriracha, though most of them seem to have a little more fish sauce added. Hope this helps! Great recipe post, I made this last night, though I used a little less salt, a lot less sugar and I added ‘Golden Boy Brand’ fish sauce which has added sugar. Thanks for this post!

60. Victor Baerner July 24, 2014 at 9:47 pm #

Hi Leela,

I’m currently living in Taiwan and have no access to jalapeno or serrano peppers. The only chilis being sold in local markets are the Thai bird’s eye chili peppers and some not so spicy big long red chili peppers. Perhaps there is some ratio of them that I could use instead of jalapenos?

Sincerely,
    Victor Baerner

• Leela August 16, 2014 at 9:46 am #

Victor – I would just use the big long red chilies and control the level of heat by decreasing/increasing the amount of chili membranes to include in the recipe.

• Victor Baerner August 16, 2014 at 3:04 pm #

Thank you very much for your reply. Both my girlfriend and I love Thai food, and will be visiting Thailand in a few weeks actually. I’m looking forward to picking up some fresh palm sugar and tamarind paste as well as enjoying every street vendor I can find :). Take care.

61. ben September 13, 2014 at 12:07 am #

personally I would blend all the ingredients together and cook them together first, THEN pass through a sieve, as you will loose a lot of the potential flavour right off the bat by discarding the pulp before cooking it together.

• Leela September 13, 2014 at 9:16 am #

That’s definitely another way to do it — which I have tried, by the way.

What I’ve noticed is: 1. There is no discernible difference in taste between the two methods (but let’s consider this subjective), 2. The cook-first-then-blend-sieve-and-bottle seems to result in faster spoilage (molded) in the fridge (this happened to me twice).

#2 could be due to the fact that I didn’t sterilize the sieve or the jars. If I had done that, it might not have been an issue. Then again, #1 led me to conclude that it wasn’t worth the extra step. I’m also thinking that if people want to can this sauce, they would be better off blending and sieving first then cooking and bottling right when the mixture is hot — kind of like when you make jam (which you don’t blend, sieve, or do anything to *after* cooking to minimize risk of contamination).

These are just observations. No formal controlled tests have been done.

1. Thai Seafood Dipping Sauce – น้ำจิ้มอาหารทะเล | SheSimmers - August 22, 2012

[…] detract from its beauty. Blessed with long coastal lines of the eastern seaboard (whence our famous Sriracha sauce comes) and both sides of “the axe handle,” we always have fresh seafood in […]

2. Thai Sweet Chili Jelly | SheSimmers - August 29, 2012

[…] ways to use the red peppers from your garden.You could use them to make Thai sweet chili sauce. Or homemade Thai Sriracha, perhaps? Other than those, there is this jelly version of Thai sweet chili sauce. The Thai sweet […]

3. Thai Corn Fritters (ทอดมันข้าวโพด) | SheSimmers - September 6, 2012

[…] I love them a lot, and I hope you will too. Be sure to serve them with Thai sweet chili sauce or Thai Sriracha (for those who can’t find Thai Sriracha, you can use the American Sriracha — you know, […]

4. Thai-Style Omelets (Khai Jiao, Khai Jeow, Khai Jiaw, ไข่เจียว) | SheSimmers - September 9, 2012

[…] wok, with its edges crispy and light as clouds over the rice. Then imagine a blessed anointing of Thai Sriracha on top of it all … My heartbeats are audible as I’m typing this.From the way I’ve […]

5. Thai-Style Fried Chicken – Gai Tod (ไก่ทอด) | SheSimmers - January 11, 2013

[…] guard). Lately, I’ve been using a dipping sauce made out of half Thai sweet chilli sauce and half Thai Sriracha; it tastes pretty […]

6. Kalbsbrustschnitten Sriracha Style » Trüffelschwein - March 14, 2013

[…] Schluss noch dies: Wie fast alles kann man die Sriracha-Sauce natürlich auch selber herstellen. Hier findet ihr ein hausgemachtes Rezept aus meinem […]

7. Stuffed Calamari Braised in Sriracha SauceSheSimmers - November 18, 2013

[…] been touting the virtues of the flavor-packed and highly-versatile Thai Sriracha (not the “rooster sauce”) for so long, and my regular readers have seen it used in many […]

8. Rote-Linsen-Suppe mit Sriracha | Foodfreak - March 20, 2014

[…] ist allerdings, dass das was die meisten Nicht-Thais als Sriracha bezeichnen, mit der thailändischen Version weniger gemeinsam hat als mit der vietnamesischen Chilisauce Tương Ớt Tỏi (ein Rezept auf […]