Baked Cashews with the Flavors of Laab

I goofed around in the kitchen and came up with these crunchy cashews, encrusted with what is essentially Laab dressing with the flavors of fresh lime and chilli as well as the fragrance of toasted rice powder. This is the kind of stuff that makes you cringe when you see other people do it: Tom Yam peanuts, Thai lime-lemongrass almonds, Thai lime-chilli macadamia nuts, etc.

But when it’s you who do it? Delicious. I’m such a hypocrite.

Revision

8 Responses to Baked Cashews with the Flavors of Laab

1. LimeCake February 2, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Oh my gosh I too cringe when I see tom yam peanuts or some version of that monstrosity at markets. I’m sure these homemade ones are delicious, though, and would certainly make a great party snack!

2. Lizzy M. February 3, 2011 at 3:37 am #

What other nut would you recommend for this recipe? I am allergic to cashews but can eat all the rest and this looks great!

3. Leela February 3, 2011 at 3:48 am #

Lizzy – I’m thinking blanched almonds would be nice. Macadamia, perhaps? 🙂

4. remi February 4, 2011 at 5:48 pm #

the baked cashews look nice, i think i’m going to try to make some for me..

5. Rick February 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

Love the ingredients, I was wondering about Macadamia nuts as well… or chickpeas

6. OysterCulture February 7, 2011 at 2:20 am #

I’m really torn, I have all the ingredients and it sounds simply amazing, but you see I made your original version of laab and we are seriously addicted. Now that we know our weak minds against the power of your recipes, it might not be such a wise thing to introduce tasty nibbles that can lead to mindless eating.

7. Ms Q February 11, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Ooooo EM GEEE! This looks so yummy – perfect snack to serve with one of my signature cocktails…hmmm maybe the ginger-y “Whatever Lola Wants…”

Just found your blog – but I am def a new convert!

——–

The world according to Ms Q – my take on what’s interesting, stylish and cool: restaurants, food, wine, music, cocktails.

Asia-based, internationally-focused, American-flavored