Bacon-Wrapped Pork Roast with Sage

What makes this dish worthy of a blog post is not so much about what it is. I could rhapsodize about how juicy, how succulent, how tender this bacon-wrapped pork roast is. But, really, it’s hard to find bacon-wrapped anything that doesn’t taste good. What’s interesting about this pork-on-pork goodness, actually, is how great it looks (very), how little it costs (very little), and how many people it feeds (a lot).

I spent $4 on two 1-lb pieces of pork tenderloin, $3.99 for a pound of applewood smoked bacon, and $1.99 for a bunch of fresh sage. (The only seasoning this needs is salt, and that is something everybody who cooks already has in the kitchen.) That’s a total of $9.98 plus tax for a main course that comfortably feeds a party of 8-10. It also takes less than 10 minutes of active preparation time. While it takes care of itself for about 45-50 minutes in the oven, you can make the side dishes or dessert.

When I don’t know what to make for a crowd, this is my go-to dish.

All you have to do is arrange the bacon pieces on your work surface, overlapping them. Sprinkle some salt on two 1-lb whole pork tenderloins1 and form a cylinder out of them.2 Place the tenderloin log on the bacon as shown; roll the bacon pieces all around the tenderloins and place the bacon-wrapped tenderloins in a baking dish, seam side down. Stick 10-12 fresh sage leaves into the bacon pieces.

Bake the pork, uncovered, at 400°F for about 45-50 minutes.3 The bacon should be somewhat crispy4and the tenderloins inside perfectly cooked. Let it rest, uncovered, for about 10-15 minutes. Then slice and serve with pan juices.

1Or one 2-lb piece of pork loin.

2Each whole pork tenderloin comes with one thicker end and one tapered end. To form a long, even log, just match one tenderloin’s tapered end with the other tenderloin’s thicker end.

3About half way through the cooking, the bacon will have rendered lots of fat that splatter a bit in the oven. You may want to take the pan out of the oven just to drain off the rendered fat, then put the pork back into the oven to finish cooking.

4For crispier exterior, use prosciutto. I prefer bacon, though.

16 Responses to Bacon-Wrapped Pork Roast with Sage

1. .: RY :. April 3, 2011 at 3:40 am #

:)Looks really delish and such a perfect combination. HAH. And I was just thinking of bacon-wrapped, oven-bake mozzarella.

2. Leela April 3, 2011 at 3:50 am #

RY – That sounds really good.

3. Crumpeats April 3, 2011 at 7:51 am #

These photos are absolutely stunning- you really are making my mouth water. I look forward to reading more.

4. Chilewheel April 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

This is a classic, “flavor malleable” dish that adapts well to different cuisines, just by changing herbs, layering a stuffing in the loin sections, using various rubs or serving with different sauces. For an even “tighter” presentation, the loin can be rolled up in two sheets of plastic with tightly twisted ends to form a cylinder, then refrigerated briefly before doing the bacon wrap. Whole loins are also well used in this particular preparation.

5. Leela April 3, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

Chilewheel – Thank you. Very helpful.

6. George April 4, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

I make something similar, using prosciutto instead of bacon. The prosciutto ends up making a deep red-brown crispy crust and it’s delicious. I first had this in Bangkok in fact.

7. Leela April 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm #

George – Yep, prosciutto would give you a crispier crust — less fat too.

8. pigpigscorner April 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

I like the addition of sage here! Looks gorgeous!

9. Kevin April 7, 2011 at 12:28 am #

Nice and simple and yet so tasty looking!

10. Marc April 7, 2011 at 10:55 am #

I love the picture of the pork meat, still life at its best…and I love sage in my dishes as well.

11. petitecuisine May 29, 2011 at 7:50 am #

A must ! Try to brush the meat with a samll amount of ricotta, under the bacon, it will keep the meat moisty ! Also delicious with veal 🙂

12. Helen Luce April 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm #

Do you vary the oven temperature and time in the oven if you use proscuitti?
    Bacon would be delicious, I am sure but I am concerned about the fat.

Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe. I have just discovered your blog and it is a treasure. I was searching for information about sticky rice and what is it and how do you buy it !

• Leela April 28, 2013 at 8:57 pm #

Helen – I keep everything the same. The only difference would be that towards the end, I put a tent of foil over it.

13. Mike October 12, 2013 at 8:58 am #

This is going to make a beautiful autumn dish here in the Midwest, USA, with some acorn squash on the side. Pork was on sale this week ($2.49/pound) and there’s sage growing year-round in the garden. That I found this recipe was great timing!

For those who do not like turkey at Thanksgiving, this would make a nice alternative.

Thanks (again) for such a great site, Leela!

14. SC February 11, 2014 at 10:13 pm #

Wonderful recipe. Just made it last night and it was most delectable!

15. Mike October 16, 2014 at 6:05 pm #

Pork on pork is not redundant, it is how God intended the porcine beast to be presented!