Chinese Broccoli and Crispy Pork Belly Stir-fry (ผัดคะน้าหมูกรอบ)

crispy pork belly chinese broccoli
Khana Mu Krop has got to be among the top favorites at rice-curry shops (ร้านข้าวแกง) in Bangkok — even more so at stalls that make food to order (อาหารตามสั่ง) for you. It’s such a simple dish that’s done in a flash. Definitely one of those minimum-effort-maximum-satisfaction things.

You already know how to make it.

Remember stir-fried Chinese water morning glory (ผัดผักบุ้งไฟแดง)? The process is pretty much the same for that dish and this one. Replace the Chinese water morning glory with Chinese broccoli (kai lan or ผักคะน้า) plus some store-bought crispy pork belly and remove the fermented/salted soybeans from the mix, and you more or less end up with this dish. But if you need more detailed instructions, I’ve laid them all out for you here.

One last remark is that even though Chinese broccoli is the most traditional ingredient in this dish (that’s the “khana” in “khana mu krop“), there are other crunchy vegetables that work very well too. I’d like to suggest a few:

1. Broccoli
2. Broccolini
3. Green or savoy cabbage
4. Asparagus
5. Peeled broccoli stems
6. Pascal celery, sliced crosswise diagonally (So odd, but so surprisingly good.)
7. Green beans
8. Snow or sugar snap peas
9. Sliced Brussels sprouts (This one has received mixed reviews; try it at your own risk.)

Anything else you’ve used or think may work in this dish that I haven’t tried?

8 Responses to Chinese Broccoli and Crispy Pork Belly Stir-fry (ผัดคะน้าหมูกรอบ)

1. Emily October 30, 2012 at 12:23 am #

Yum! This sounds like the perfect combination of crisp-tender veggie and juicy, unctuous belly (good vs. evil, one could say). I’m a big fan of Brussels sprouts and could see using those here, although I’m sure the authenticity is questionable. Thanks for sharing!

2. vic@cakebook October 30, 2012 at 9:10 am #

Mmmm one of my favourite quick kai lan dishes – I think because with a bowl of rice its sort of like a meal in itself – love it hot from the wok :)

3. Marissa October 30, 2012 at 10:55 am #

I just discovered Chinese broccoli this summer at our farmer’s market. Every week I bought at least 4 bunches and even dreamed the day before the market that I arrived and it was all gone. The horror! Anyway, this looks amazing.

4. Halfham October 31, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

This is one of my favorite dishes to eat. I love it with nam pla prik (fish sauce, thai bird chili, lime juice and a bit of garlic). Yum.

5. Fork and Whisk November 1, 2012 at 1:58 am #

Pork belly in a salad is never bad. Looks delicious.

6. simon @ SoyRiceFire.com November 3, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

Both Spigarello broccoli and Lacinato kale have a crunchy texture similar to Chinese broccoli, so I think they would work well in this stir-fry dish.

7. R. Saunders November 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

I think another vegetable substitute that might work for the US would be collared greens.

8. Scarlett January 18, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Chinese broccoli has to be my favourite Chinese vegetable, the stalks are incredible! Would happily give up the leaves to just feast on the stalks.