Thai Green Papaya Salad: Eat Thai Like a Dignitary

Som tam: served to President Obama at the state dinner during his visit to Thailand last month.

Are we not done with the Obama menu yet? Apparently, not. We’ve talked about the menu composition; now we’re looking at the dishes.

Please go over to Serious Eats where you can find the little piece I’ve written on it with a slideshow: What Did President Obama Eat in Thailand? All of this.

Note: Those interested in replicating the green papaya salad you see here (one of the items on the menu), please see my som tam recipe.

9 Responses to Thai Green Papaya Salad: Eat Thai Like a Dignitary

1. Glennis December 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm #

A picture is all it takes…I’m salivating…craving Som Tam…and I have NO time right now! LOL!
    I love your recipe as well…and use it often! Oh, if I could have just a bite….

2. Roz December 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

Thank you so very much for all of your wonderful Thai recipes. I have been to beautiful Thailand twice and love everything about Thailand. The cuisine, including this papaya salad is DIVINE!

3. ding December 3, 2012 at 1:28 am #

i learned to love som tam served by the filipina wife of a thai expat at her eatery here in the philippines. her version always has coriander. i love coriander, but is it not traditional for som tam? oh, and i always ask for extra chile!

i love the way you write. and i wish i could take food pictures as good as you do.

• Leela December 3, 2012 at 2:14 am #

Thanks, Ding. No, coriander in som tam isn’t traditional, but people do what they want with som tam these days.

4. Jayne December 5, 2012 at 12:31 am #

Oh, how I love som tam! I’m going to do a version with mangosteen and pomelo for my blog soon. Can’t wait!

5. gregoire December 5, 2012 at 1:53 am #

Looks so good and fresh! I love it! :)
    Why is Thai food sooooo good?!

6. Fork and Whisk December 10, 2012 at 10:33 pm #

Looks beautiful! Looks so healthy too. Great picture.

7. Sam January 7, 2013 at 6:06 pm #

This is the best Som Tum recipe that I’ve tried. Delicious! I’ve tried four recipes in all. Liked yours the best :-)

8. Paola (Italian chef) January 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Very interesting recipe… I’ll try to cook it! Thanks.