Tres Leches Cake with Thai Tea

Tres Leches Cake with Thai Tea
With the flavor of Thai tea pairing so well with sweetened condensed milk, I thought a mash-up of the classic tres leches cake and Thai tea would be fun to make. So I made it, and the guinea pigs people liked it. I made it once more a few days later. And once more people liked it. Just to be sure, I made it again last night for a small gathering. And, cha-waep.*

This is not considered classic or authentic in any part of the world. It’s just good.

You probably can’t tell from the photograph above, but the cake is soaked to the point of saturation with three kinds of milk: sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream. Every bite tastes like a piece of sponge cake that has been dunked into room temperature Thai tea with milk. Sounds gross. Tastes good.

For this, you can use any tres leches cake recipe which you’ve already tried and liked, adding 2 tablespoons of loose Thai tea to the batter. But if you like something a little lighter — spongier — you can use my Thai tea cake recipe. Simply halve it and bake it in an 8×8-inch baking dish (choose a baking dish that you can serve the cake in, because we’re not going to unmold it). Once the cake has cooled, put 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk, 3/4 cup evaporated milk, and 1/2 cup heavy cream into one of those Pyrex measuring cups with a spout. Pour the mixture all over the cake while it’s still in the pan, making sure every part of the cake gets the milk treatment. Once all of the milk mixture has been absorbed into the cake (this takes about 20 minutes), whip up one cup (8 fluid ounces) of heavy whipping cream and spread it all over the top of the cake (the cake is already pretty sweet, so I don’t sweeten the whipped cream topping. But if you’d like it sweeter, you can certainly add 1/4-1/2 cup of powdered sugar to the whipping cream when you whip it). Cover the cake pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.

This should be enough for 6-8 people.

*Thai slang for something that appears then disappears in a blink of an eye.

13 Responses to Tres Leches Cake with Thai Tea

1. Nicole (MyLoveForCooking) March 8, 2013 at 8:05 pm #

LOVE this! Tres Leches is my all time favorite dessert….the mash up is wonderful! I must make this! Thanks. :)

2. Manna March 8, 2013 at 8:11 pm #

Sounds wondeful! Looked at the Thai tea cake recipe. Will have to try it. However the link to the Thai tea leaves in your Thai tea cake doesn’t work. Would like to get the tight kind. Thanks!

• Leela March 9, 2013 at 8:49 am #

The link should work now. Thanks!

3. David Crichton March 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

This sounds amazing. Thai tea has such addictive flavours. Seems a nice light cake too.

4. Ani March 9, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

You are one of three bloggers to have posted cake recipes on my birthday. I appreciate this considerably. Thank you :)

5. Spikygreengobbermonster March 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

You must have the most happiest guinea pigs ever.You wouldn’t happen to need another would you?

6. Allison March 26, 2013 at 8:32 am #

What an idea! I’ve loved Thai iced tea for a long time but never imagined trying to recreate its flavors in a cake. I can’t wait to try it!
    Do you think it might be complemented by a whipped topping made from coconut milk? I received a book lately (Health on Your Plate) that has many suggestions for ingredient replacements, and it made me consider using coconut milk instead of heavy cream for the topping. In my head it works, but I guess I’ll have to try it and see. Thank you for sharing! :)

7. Jiew April 3, 2013 at 3:24 am #

Oh that look great! I want to eat that. But I dont want to bake that 555

8. Todd May 6, 2013 at 11:19 am #

Hi Leela, This cake looks AMAZING!!!! I have a question though- Living here in Switzerland we have gone to a few Thai restaurants- the people who work there are Thai & the food is good (some of the places) I have asked in a few places for a Thai Tea & have gotten some strange looks- I have to almost explain it to them. Is this not a Thai thing- or is it an American thing. One place we went to the owner came out & said he will make us an authentic Thai Tea & well, when it came out- it was like dish water…. None are the milky orange color of what we have had as commonplace in the US. Is there a Thai name for what we are looking for- the tea & the milk?? Or do you have a recipe for it handy :) Thank you :)

• Leela May 8, 2013 at 9:48 pm #

Todd – Hmm. If you had told me that you couldn’t find Thai tea served in Europe, I might not have found it weird, because it’s possible that Americans like it more than Europeans do. But it’s very strange that these Thai people (are they Thai, by the way? Not all Thai restaurant workers are Thai) don’t know Thai tea which is sold all over the place. Ask them if they know “cha yen” (iced tea with milk) or “cha dam yen” (iced tea without milk). I doubt there’s a Thai who doesn’t know what it is.

What restaurant is this, by the way? I need to visit this place. Thanks, Todd.

9. Radhika June 10, 2013 at 11:22 am #

Just found your delightful blog, by accident. Am lovin’ it!
    Radhika

10. Clare July 30, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

Don’t forget to pierce the cake with a fork all over to allow the tres leches to soak in everywhere/evenly.

1. Thai Tea Tres Leches Cake | Unmasked Adventures - April 7, 2013

[…] Thai Tea Tres Leches Cake Cake Recipe from Salo-Salo Thai Inspiration from SheSimmers […]