Remember khao man gai (RTGS: khao man kai)? If it’s been a while since you last made it, or if you’ve never made it at all, maybe I can encourage you to visit that old post? (Oh my word, the post is five and a half years old now. Time flies.)
About LeelaMy G+
Author Archive | Leela
I’ll keep my intro short, because I want to direct your attention to the books on this list as quickly as possible. This is a list of books released in 2014 that I’ve bought for myself and felt compelled to buy them for my friends and family as holiday gifts as well.
Anyway, for what it’s worth, here’s the list of my holiday cookbook gift recommendations. Please click on the cover photo of each book in order to be taken to its listing on Amazon. Continue Reading →
From time to time, I get emails asking if I’ve ever tried to incorporate Thai flavors into my Thanksgiving turkey. I have indeed — though, I must say, only reluctantly and mostly to satisfy people’s curiosity. I guess the lack of enthusiasm on my part is due to this: while I eat Thai food all year round, only once a year do I get to enjoy plain, buttery roasted turkey along with sausage stuffing, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn pudding, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes with apple cider-beer glaze, cranberry sauce, and soft dinner rolls with whipped butter. I love these side dishes with my turkey; each year I look forward to them more than I do the turkey itself. So I don’t feel I need to try thinking outside the box with the turkey and to risk having it clash with those classic sides.
Do “Thai flavors” clash with the traditional side dishes? Several years ago, some friends forced me to suggested that I make green curry-flavored turkey, and, against my better judgment, I caved. Well, let’s just say that we all are still scarred by the experience. We agreed we loved Thai green curry and we loved the usual Thanksgiving side dishes. We just didn’t love them together. Continue Reading →
Enter your email to subscribe:
- Khao Man Gai Encore ข้าวมันไก่ (มาอีกแล้ว) December 19, 2014
- My Holiday Gift Recommendations for Cooks and Bakers November 28, 2014
- Roasted Turkey with Thai Aromatic Paste November 17, 2014
- Northern Thailand and Northeastern Thailand (Isan) Are Two Different Regions November 14, 2014
- African Chicken (Galinha à Africana) in the style of Henri’s Galley November 3, 2014
- Hot Soppressata Macaroni & Cheese with Crispy Leeks October 23, 2014
- Mon Dipping Sauce (น้ำปลามอญ) by Ong Bunjoon September 28, 2014
- Sichuan Peppercorn-Ginger-Butter Shrimp aka M’s Shook Shrimp August 23, 2014