I’m a big, big fan of Jewish-style sweet and sour brisket. In fact, after having tried at least 10 different recipes for it in the past decade, I’ve discovered that even the least impressive batch was delicious to me. It’s almost like you really need to try pretty hard to mess it up. Continue Reading →
Archive | She Roasts RSS feed for this section
The house I grew up in was only a short distance away from Kasetsart University, one of Thailand’s premier colleges known for forestry, agriculture, and food science. And we never missed the school’s annual fair, a large outdoor exhibition/farmers’ market/food fair where you’d get to see a wide range of produce and plants and sample delicious things.
My dad, who grew orchids as a hobby, would look forward to finding new types of orchid to add to his greenhouse; my mom, who was deeply fascinated by cold-climate crops (especially beetroots), would look forward to buying and figuring out a way to cook unfamiliar “Western” produce; I, who loved food on sticks, would look forward to walking around the fairground with grilled meatballs or grilled pork on bamboo skewers in my little hands.
Kaset Fair, as the event is called, was a big deal. At least to us. Continue Reading →
First, I made the roasted tomato-dried chili dipping sauce on pages 112-113 of Simple Thai Food. I doubled the recipe, and added more fish sauce and lime juice to make the sauce thinner. I also stirred in about 2 teaspoons of toasted rice powder (page 182) at the end.
Then I half-filled a 4-quart saucepan with water and brought it to a boil. I stirred in 1 tablespoon sea salt to the water and added 3 pounds of jumbo shrimp. Keeping the water simmering, I cooked the shrimp until opaque, about 3 minutes. I drained them and served them with the dipping sauce. Everyone then gathered around the table and got messy.
Enter your email to subscribe:
- Braised Brisket in Tamarind-Palm Sugar Sauce September 14, 2016
- Coconut Sticky Rice with Jackfruit June 23, 2016
- Strawberry-Lychee Jam June 3, 2016
- Baked Chicken and Leek in Turmeric-Coconut Sauce May 25, 2016
- Peel-and-Eat Shrimp with Roasted Tomato-Dried Chili Dipping Sauce May 20, 2016
- Southern Thai Dry Curry (Khua Kling) from Khua Kling Pak Sod Restaurant May 5, 2016
- Caramel-Glazed Pork Cracklings and Peanuts (กากหมูถั่วหวาน) from Baan Varnakovida (บ้านวรรณโกวิท) February 29, 2016
- Red Curry of Chicken and White Asparagus, Inspired by Pinto by Chak January 18, 2016