Easy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe: How to Make My Mom’s Thai Satay Sauce

authentic thai peanut sauce
My mother, in whose memory this site was created, was a cookbook addict. Her philosophy in life was based upon a statement attributed to Erasmus of Rotterdam (1466-1536): When I get a little money I buy books, and if any is left I buy food and clothes. Replace “books” with “cookbooks” and you’ll get my mother.

Over the years, she had passed on several of her cookbooks to me for fear that years of living in the United States would result in me abandoning the cuisine of my original country or, worse, becoming so culinarily syncretic that I can’t tell how a dish is supposed to taste. Well, Mom is no longer with us, so she and I can’t have our once never-ending discussion on her view on culinary syncretism and how I think it might not be built on terra firma.

How I miss debating with Mom. Heck, I miss hearing her voice, period.

best thai peanut sauce

Easy Shrimp Satay with Mom’s Peanut Sauce

Thai cookbooks, especially old ones, are notorious for errors, typographical or otherwise, and way-off measurements. The sin of omission of key ingredients is also exuberantly committed. You really have to pay attention and exercise not only commonsense but also extreme caution. If a cracker recipe calls for a liter of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of rice flour, a red flag should go up. With that kind of ratio, you know you’re more likely going to get coconut milk goo rather than crunchy crackers. When chicken is mysteriously absent from a Thai chicken salad recipe, you know something’s rotten in Bangkok.

This is clear evidence that the writer and the proofreader have conspired against you. Please be understanding if you see me walk around looking frustrated and paranoid for chances are I have just finished reading a few Thai cookbooks. They have that effect on otherwise trusting and relaxed human beings.

That’s why Mom’s cookbooks are so precious to me. They’re full of her handwritten corrections, tweaks, comments, suggested variations, reports of people’s responses, etc. When it comes to marginal notation, my mom would have given the Masoretes a run for their shekels.

easy thai peanut sauce

Mom’s Peanut Sauce is perfect for this grilled chicken sandwich satay-style.

I think of these notes as Mom’s posthumous road signs which have several times saved me from potholes, deer, and boulders on the road of cooking. Sometimes, some of her “road signs” even lead to cool shortcuts which yield results that are close or identical to those achieved through a more laborious means.

A peanut sauce recipe in an old coconut milk-stained cookbook supplemented with my mom’s handwritten notes is a case in point. If you’ve ever felt overwhelmed by the number of herbs and spices called for by several recipes for authentic Thai peanut sauce, here’s my mom’s recipe to the rescue.

All the herbs and spices are found in commercial Thai red curry paste. No need to hunt down all 20 of them. Interestingly, Mom opted granulated sugar and vinegar as handy replacements for the traditional palm sugar and tamarind pulp respectively — all with no lethal effects. Our family has enjoyed the sauce made this way for years.

best satay sauce recipe

Totally untraditional: Add more vinegar to this peanut sauce to turn it into a dressing.

_________________

Simple Thai Food Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen
The traditional version of this recipe including how to make the curry paste from scratch and how to make pork or chicken satay to serve with this sauce, as they do in Thailand, can be found in my book, Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen (Ten Speed Press, 2014).
_________________

5.0 from 35 reviews
Easy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe: How to Make My Mom's Thai Satay Sauce

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

A word about this recipe: If you're looking for a Chinese-style peanut sauce that goes over noodles or Vietnamese-style peanut sauce that is served with fresh spring rolls, this is not it. You can use this sauce in that way, if desired. But this is a Thai satay sauce which is on the sweet side, has a flavor that is found in Thai curry (but is not supposed to be hot), and is served as a dipping sauce for Thai-style satay. If you're looking for the kind of peanut sauce that contains Chinese ingredients such as sesame oil, chili sauce, or hoisin sauce, this is not it. Thai-style satay sauce does not contain any of those ingredients and is not seasoned in the same way.
Author:
Recipe type: Condiment
Cuisine: Thai
Serves: 3.5 cups
Ingredients
  • One 13.5-ounce can of full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
  • 2 ounces (approximately ¼ cup) of Thai red (mom’s preference and mine too) or Massaman curry paste (milder but flavorful)
  • ¾ cup unsweetened (natural) creamy peanut butter (Do not use regular peanut butter or anything with added emulsifiers. It must be the type of natural peanut butter that comes with natural peanut oil on top and no sugar added. I often use Smucker's.)
  • ½ tablespoon salt
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (Do not use white wine, red wine, balsamic, or anything else — not even rice vinegar)
  • ½ cup water
Instructions
  1. Put everything into a medium heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a very gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
  2. Let the mixture simmer for 3-5 minutes over low heat; be careful not to let the mixture scorch at the bottom of the pot.
  3. Take the pot off the heat, let the sauce cool down to room temperature (or slightly warmer), and serve the sauce with satay or fried tofu.
Notes
This peanut sauce keeps in a glass container in the refrigerator for weeks. Refrigerated sauce will thicken up considerably. All you have to do is thin it out with a little bit of water to desired consistency, reheat, and serve. The sauce also freezes beautifully. I prefer Maesri red curry paste. But you can also use Mae Ploy red curry paste (it's hotter). A lot of people like to use massaman curry paste, and you can do that too. Originally, Mom used roasted peanuts, ground up in a mortar and pestle. For those who feel the use of natural peanut butter in this recipe is blasphemous, please feel free to go that route. But then, what is unsweetened, natural peanut butter if not roasted peanuts ground up into a paste? For those living in areas of the world where commercial natural peanut butter is not available, please grind up 12 ounces of roasted peanuts using whatever means most convenient for you. Then use the peanut paste in the same manner as peanut butter as directed.

Reviews of this peanut sauce:
Claire’s Diabetes Health Blog replaces sugar with Swerve to make this sauce diabetic-friendly.
“… I’ve made two batches of the Thai Peanut Sauce and we’ve eaten every last drop …” – One Hungry Mama
Eve Fox serves Baked Ginger-Soy Tofu with this peanut sauce.
Elsa Lang is contemplating using this sauce as toothpaste.
The Canny Crafter gives you some ideas on how to use this peanut sauce.
Rebekah at Honeysucklelife: “… There are no modifications to make. The recipe was absolutely perfect as is …”
By John of Stand up Paddle Surfing
By Quasi Serendipita
Grilled Chicken Salad with Peanut Sauce by Lime Cake
Just Some Cooking: “… best peanut sauce ever …”
The Reluctant Chef: “… My mom usually not a fan of peanut sauce, I know crazy, absolutely loved it …”
Kimberlee Stiens of Business for Good, not Evil: “… the best peanut sauce in the world …”
Serendipitous Sustenance makes tofu and vegetable stir-fry with this peanut sauce.
Robyn makes Szechuan pepper grilled chicken wings and serves them with this peanut sauce.
Cheryl makes stir-fried vegetables and quinoa with this peanut sauce.
One Happy Table makes Curry Tofu Satay with this sauce.
Parallel Foodiverse makes Thai chicken and pickled garlic pizza with this peanut sauce.

261 Responses to Easy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe: How to Make My Mom’s Thai Satay Sauce

1. The Other Tiger March 31, 2009 at 4:58 pm #

Can’t wait to try this, since here’s yet another Thai food I’ve tried to wing on my own and ended up somewhere east of authentic. :-)

I made your sticky rice twice over the weekend…it’s so good! Although I’m still working out some kinks with the initial steaming of the rice, probably because I’m Macgyvering that part with the wrong equipment. No matter what I do, I still have a few pieces of rice that never will cook through. But it didn’t matter that much because it’s so flavorful. Chris loved it. Thanks again!

2. Leela March 31, 2009 at 6:05 pm #

Hi Jessica, if you’re still having trouble with a few uncooked rice grains, try flipping the rice about a couple of times during the steaming. That may do the trick. :)

3. Shazza March 31, 2009 at 11:15 pm #

Oh bless you! I had a Thai dish made with chicken pieces dredged in a coating and fried in peanut oil and covered in a spicy peanut sauce and I’ll bet this is it! I cant even remember whether it was served with noodles or rice, but that chicken and peanut sauce was divine. I will be trying this out soon! Thanks again!

4. Anonymous April 1, 2009 at 3:28 am #

Leela,
    Mom’s recipes are the best kind! I will have to try making the sauce this weekend. Can you give me a brand name for the red curry paste so that I know what to look for in the Asian market? Thanks.

5. Leela April 1, 2009 at 3:44 am #

Hi Anon – Thanks for dropping by. I use Maesri curry pastes almost all the time. I like the fact that they come in small 4-ounce cans which can be used up before they lose their flavor.

• GaryE February 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

I am on a low cholesterol diet and my wife wanted Mac and cheese. I usually have the macaroni with some kind of peanut sauce. Well we were out so I looked up a recipe and I found yours. Miracle of miracles we had every ingredient. I did not know if the red curry paste I had was Thai or what but I gave it a shot and I was amazed how good it tasted.

Well it turned out perfect and now I see why. I just happened to have the exact same brand of curry paste you recommended. I will never buy pre-made peanut sauce again. I can only imagine how much better it would agave been if I had the unsweetened peanut butter (I used sweetened and omitted all but 2 tablespoons of the sugar).

I can not thank you enough this stuff is just brilliant. Oh yeah before I realized it I used 1/3 of a cup of the curry paste and for our taste it was just right (the 1/4 cup measure was missing and I did not realize it until I went to measure out the peanut butter). So if you like your sauce a bit more fiery try that for a bit more heat.

6. Jude April 1, 2009 at 5:55 am #

So reassuring to know that real Thai home cooking can rely on shortcuts. Some “authentic” recipes cough-David Thompson-cough are so overwhelming that I end up ignoring them altogether.

7. Val April 1, 2009 at 5:58 pm #

How great this sounds! I love peanut sauce – but have made so many bad attempts over the years, I just gave up.

Your Mom’s recipe looks so simple, yet all the flavors I’ve been looking for. I’m thinking chicken satay for dinner!!!!!

Thank you for sharing your Mom’s recipe & great photos. ;o}

8. Tangled Noodle April 2, 2009 at 4:07 am #

That’s so funny about Thai cookbooks – I’m coming across similar problems with older Filipino recipes as well (the ones in English have definitely lost something in translation).

This is a great recipe but I can’t have peanuts – can I substitute another nut butter, like cashew?

• Nick January 11, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

I just wanted to let you know that I tried this with ABC Butter (almond/brazil/cashew butter). I get it from a local organic green grocer where they make batches of this nut butter fresh every week. It turned out beautifully. I’m allergic to peanuts so cannot say whether it really does taste like an authentic peanut sauce, but it was still incredibly delicious like this.

• Leela January 11, 2013 at 8:47 pm #

Thanks, Nick. Your report is very helpful to people with peanut allergy.

9. Leela April 2, 2009 at 5:21 am #

Hi TN,
    Hmm .. I’ve never tried other making this with other kinds of nuts. But I figured cashew or almond butter should work just fine. Would you give it a try and let us know how it goes?

10. Nick April 4, 2009 at 5:40 am #

You just hit a soft spot with me. I have an obsession with peanut sauce but as a peanut butter perfectionist, I haven’t gotten it exactly where I want it yet. The two best peanut sauces I’ve ever had are at a place here in Davis, CA called 2K Thai and from the “A Taste of Thai” peanut sauce mix (I know, it’s powdered, but once you add milk it is out of this world). I have a current best recipe but am always looking for improvements. The fact that this one seems to have such history means it has to be a winner. Although looking at the ingredients, I’m pretty sure where I went wrong, the sugar. I never used anywhere near that much but the ones I enjoy the most are quite sweet. I’m down to try this, thanks for sharing!

• Janet November 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

The best peanut sauce I have ever tasted. I thank you and my husband thanks you!

11. oysterculture April 4, 2009 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Leela,

Another great sounding recipe, I’m about do to make a batch of sate and will definitely incorporate your peanut sauce.

12. Ozge April 6, 2009 at 1:26 am #

This looks like such delicious peanut sauce and the way you present it makes me want to have it so bad! I wish I could find the ingredients where I live (Yurkey) easily… but for now, you satisfied my eyes!

Ozge

13. Anonymous April 11, 2009 at 1:54 am #

Your opening line about your mom was so hillarious… pardon me…

IT first made me solemn and put me in a mood for ‘let’s observe a moment of silence’… but even before the end of the first scentence, I had to burst out in laughter… or at least a very loud giggle.

May your mom rest in peace, and live in your memory. And may her talent forever season your kitchen.

^^
    GG

14. Nick April 16, 2009 at 2:19 am #

Finally got around to making this tonight, what a great sauce! I used skim milk (not a fan of coconut milk) and used honey instead of sugar and only used 6T of it (half as much). It was perfect!

15. Anonymous April 19, 2009 at 1:07 am #

I’ve been wanting to duplicate a favorite Thai restaurant’s peanut sauce and your mother’s recipe hit the jackpot. It is so easy and utterly delicious. Great sauce to put over so many dishes. Thanks.

16. sra April 20, 2009 at 6:29 pm #

Cookbooks in my language are similarly bad too – my feelings exactly!

17. ~Madeline~ May 1, 2009 at 7:49 pm #

Great recipe! I’m making a grilled lemongrass beef tomorrow, I was looking for a dipping sauce and I think this would be perfect!

18. curiousdomestic May 18, 2009 at 1:03 am #

Family cookbooks like yours are treasures. I have a lot of old cookbooks, and it’s so fun to find handwritten note and food stains next to recipes you know have been tried. I just got a little honey cookbook with a handwritten recipe in the back for honey peach preserves.

19. Andie May 21, 2009 at 2:32 am #

OMG this is hands down THE BEST satay sauce I’ve ever had. THANK YOU!

20. Marilou Garon June 14, 2009 at 5:08 pm #

Merci beaucoup! I made this last night and it turned out divine. I just discovered your blog and am hooked! Your recipes look fabulous and your writing is truly beautiful, I am very impressed. I look forward to trying out more of your recipes! Greetings from Montreal!

21. Lisa July 23, 2009 at 11:31 pm #

I can’t remember how I found my way to your blog, but I am sooo happy to have found this recipe. I made it last week for a shrimp lettuce wrap dish, and have been eating it every day since (sometimes just dipping a fork into the jar) so I can say I am officially addicted. I’m looking forward to trying some of your other dishes. Thanks for sharing…

22. Lisa August 28, 2009 at 6:59 pm #

I gave your thai peanut sauce recipe a try because it seemed the most authentic. I started with the 3/4 cup of peanut butter and slowly added the other ingredients to taste. I have to say, the only modification I made was to you 3 TB of red curry paste instead of the (1/4 cup) and just slowly added dashes of salt until it tasted right and it has turned out sooo good! Even with less red curry paste than the recipe calls for, it is still a little spicy if I were to make this for little kids so I’d probably cut it back to 1 Tb for kids. Thank you so much for sharing this delicious recipe!

23. Anonymous October 8, 2009 at 2:15 am #

this turned out delicious!i had peanut sause chicken that i served over jasmine rice.

24. Anonymous November 13, 2009 at 5:28 am #

Oh. My. Effing. Gawd. I will not look anywhere else for a better and easier than this recipe. I’ve wasted so much money trying different recipes on the web. Most of them are more complicated and don’t turn out anywhere as good as your mother’s. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Janice and family

25. Anea Barer November 13, 2009 at 8:42 am #

This recipe (with a few slight modifications for taste preferences – specifically MORE ginger) is a HUGE hit at my house. Thanks so much for posting!

26. Anonymous November 20, 2009 at 9:36 pm #

Great Recipe! I, having been trying to duplicate a Peanut Sauce that I fell in love with from the King and I Thai in Minneapolis and this is a bullseye! Easy to make, with few ingredients. Thank you very much for sharing your Mom’s recipe with us.

27. Patrick Flynn February 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm #

I finally was able to try to make this sauce and I must say it was unreal. I make Chicago style thin crust pizzas on an amateur basis and I have a lot of demand for Thai Style Chicken pizza on the thin crust (although that is no longer really Chicago style pizza!). I hated using store bought peanut sauce because a) it is not that good, and b) it is very expensive for the volume that I need. Well using this recipe got me even better results and raves from the crowd than I normally get for those pizzas, so thank you for posting this :)

28. Anonymous March 3, 2010 at 3:56 am #

This recipe was spot on perfect! Thanks for sharing.

29. Anonymous March 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

OMG!!!! I just got done making this sauce . . . I must say it’s pretty tasty!! I’ve always wanted learn how to make a peanut sauce like this. I have tried using a different recipe once and was quite disappointed with the result. This receipe is what I was looking for. . . Thanks for sharing it with us Leena!!!!

30. Rik March 22, 2010 at 8:54 pm #

Just made this again and used it for my nasi (kuning) goreng and chicken satay and it was the best i’ve ever ever tasted! Ever!

And for the first time I tasted something better than good ‘ol Wijko brand peanut sauce on my french fries (which only tastes very good on french fries).

I did put a little less sugar in it. But only a little. Like 3 tablesoons.

31. Anonymous March 28, 2010 at 12:43 am #

I just made this for the first time – I used close to double the amount of peanut butter, and used crunchy, but I am SO glad to have this recipe. The sauce is delicious, and combined with veggies, rice, and a bit of chicken, it was a very close substitute for going to a Thai restaurant (which is wonderful since there are none in my area and I’ve been craving it since we moved here, and especially being pregnant.
    Thank you!

32. Anonymous April 12, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

My mom left me a couple hundred cookbooks although I can’t think of any with the awful errors you describe; many have notes.

Growing up in 1950’s Minnesota would have left me food-culturally bereft except that mom ran her own catering business and got into international foods in a big way.

Once a month we put on a diner based on one nations cuisine. She tried to be as authentic as possible given the limited availability of so many critical ingredients. We did Indonesia and Viet Nam but I never had Thia food until much later – fell in love with the stuff.

Thanks so much for sharing these with us.

33. The Fox April 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm #

I have been looking for a good recipe for this for a while now, and I made this for the first time today.
    It is perfect in every way, thank you so much for sharing this, but unfortunately, I’m going to have to just sit and eat the pan of it now…

34. Luke July 3, 2010 at 3:06 am #

Im having some trouble with this recipe, my sauce seems to be more like a soup, any thoughts on thickening it up?

35. Leela July 3, 2010 at 3:29 am #

Luke – Assuming you use full-fat coconut milk (not the watery low-fat kind) and natural peanut butter (not the regular kind), the sauce should thicken up as it cools down. Right off the heat, the sauce may look thinner than usual, but it will thicken up without any thickener. In fact, if you refrigerate it, it should become so thick that you will want to thin it out with more water.

36. Wen August 6, 2010 at 1:50 pm #

WOW! just found your site, just made your mom’s peanut sauce, and it is DELICIOUS! I’ve made several in the past, an this one kicks butt!

I had to reduce the heat in this one for my kids, so I only used one tbsp of red curry paste, but it still tastes so great.

37. Anonymous August 16, 2010 at 3:06 pm #

I used almond butter instead of peanut butter to make this sauce last night. It turned out really well! My picky 3 year old ate almost all of her dinner. Thank you!

38. Anonymous August 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm #

I misjudged how much sauce your recipe produces, so I doubled it, and now have a large peanut-jar’s worth in my fridge. Its delicious, and has a deceptive spiciness that doesn’t show itself until the after-taste. I’ll probably add spoonfuls of it to curries, since its already got some curry paste in it, and peanut butter marries so nicely to Thai curries anyway.

Thanks to you AND your Mom for a keeper of a recipe.

IanG

39. Leela August 16, 2010 at 3:26 pm #

IanG – Thanks for the feedback. :) The sauce freezes very well and thaws out quite quickly; having too much on hand isn’t such a bad thing as you have apparently figured out. Panaeng and Massaman curries would be nice fortified with a couple spoonfuls of this sauce.

40. Anonymous September 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm #

This is looks a lot like what I can recall from the Thai restaurant I worked at. The cook was like a mom to me and let me help in the kitchen when it was slow. The only difference is she used creamy regular peanut butter(NO SUGAR) and only mae ploy curries. She would also simmer a little sake in the bottom of the pot before adding the rest of the ingredients. At first I didn’t think it made a difference and thought I remembered the amount of ingredients wrong. Also when someone came in with a small child and stressed that it needed to be mild she used half massaman half red curry to be sure that no one had any issues. I myself have done this for guest who where unsure of how much hot they could handle. Taste almost exactly the same.

41. Leela September 1, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

Anon – How interesting. Did you mean she used regular creamy peanut butter and no additional sugar other than what’s included in the peanut butter or some kind of sugar free regular peanut butter?

Combining red and massaman curries is a good idea for people with lower tolerance for heat. Thanks for your input! :)

42. Anonymous September 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm #

Let me verify, if she used Jiffy she didn’t add sugar, otherwise she used a heaping TBS. Yes regular creamy peanut butter.

43. Bemused26 September 24, 2010 at 7:58 am #

I made this a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome. I even managed to get the same coconut milk you recommended- from Tesco believe it or not! I was so happy :)

44. Meals by Sheri September 24, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

I have looked off and on for days, and this morning for 2 hours for the right peanut sauce to serve with chicken and chow mein noodles! I think this is the one! Thanks and I’ll repost to tell you how it turns out! Happy Cookin!

45. Kristen October 15, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

This tastes exactly like the peanut sauce from a local Thai restaurant that I have been trying to replicate. Thanks for this great recipe!

46. Karen November 4, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

I’ve been searching for a good peanut sauce, and this sounds wonderful. Is this the same peanut sauce that is served with fresh spring rolls? That is my purpose for the sauce. Thanks you!

47. Leela November 4, 2010 at 11:58 pm #

Karen – No, it’s not. You’re thinking the Vietnamese spring rolls which go with a different kind of peanut sauce that as far as I know doesn’t contain curry paste. This is the peanut sauce that is served with satay. :)

48. Anonymous November 29, 2010 at 3:20 am #

would this work using pureed chipotle instead of the curry paste? just wondering…..

49. Leela November 29, 2010 at 4:31 am #

Anon – Oh, no, it wouldn’t. Red curry paste consists of multiple ingredients one of which is dried chilies. You won’t get the same complex flavor with chipotle. You might get something that tastes good on it’s own merit, but you won’t get the kind of peanut sauce that’s served with satay. Are you having trouble finding red curry paste? Have you looked into Amazon and other online stores?

50. Anonymous December 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm #

Leela, I LOVE YOU! Just used your recipes to make chicken satay with peanut sauce and both came out PERFECT. Just like the really good Thai restaurant down the street. I’ve searched for ages for a good satay and peanut sauce recipe and all I ever find are poor imitations of the real thing written by (and rated by) people who must have never actually had authentic Thai food. You’ve made my day!

51. Anonymous January 25, 2011 at 5:46 am #

I just made this sauce and it is AMAZING!!! All of the store bought peanut sauce tastes too much like salad dressing. This was so easy to make too.

I will use slightly less sugar in the future, but even with the extra sugar this sauce is great. Thanks for the recipe!!

52. Anonymous January 26, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Fantastic Thai peanut sauce :)) used 1/2 a cup sugar and it was just perfect and was even able to find Mae ploy red Thai curry paste in Australia (use a whole sachet). Thank you for this great recipe. I finally have the perfect peanut satay sauce. My fiance says it’s his favorite meal EVER. I serve it with jasmine rice and tofu and veggies.

53. Anonymous February 19, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

OMG! This sauce is out of this world!.. and easy too! I made it for dinner tonight and will make again and again.
    A couple of things i did differently though:-

We could only buy an inferior supermarket brand (Asda) Green Thai Curry Paste as they had nothing else, and it didnt have all of the ingredients that the red ones recommended, so i added:

*1 tsp each dried: Ground Coriander Seed, Ground Ginger & Whole Cumin Seeds.
    *1 tbsp Tomato Puree (for color, but also adds a nice flavor).
    *1 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce (our spice paste had no added shrimp paste – i know soy sauce may not be ‘traditional’ for satay, perhaps Fish sauce would usually be used, but we didnt have any of that and i love the rich salty flavor the Soy sauce added.. and extra color!).
    *2 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes (for extra heat as the Asda Green Curry paste was very mild).

I know i added a few things in but w/o this amazing recipe as a base i would never have been able to make such a beautiful Peanut Sauce. Thanks so very much! xxxx

54. msolmiano February 24, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

I just made some today. It’s amazing! My boyfriend is really picky with the peanut sauce they serve at Thai restaurants (too runny, too thick, don’t put enough, etc) but I think he’ll enjoy this one. Thanks for sharing.

55. Christine March 1, 2011 at 7:38 am #

Hi Leela! Just wanted to say that this is the best (and easiest) peanut satay I have ever made and tasted.. Simply amazing. I had it with stir fried chicken breast and fried tofu for a dinner party last week and everyone commented on how delicious it was. Can’t wait to make it again! Thanks for sharing this great recipe!!!

56. Anonymous March 2, 2011 at 3:25 am #

This was an absolutely delicious recipe! Thank you very much for sharing. It was so easy and tasted as good or better than satays I’ve had in restaurants. I did have it with very inauthentic roast chicken and spaghetti though. What would you recommend as something more authentic to have it with?

57. Leela March 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

Anon – Thanks! Try shrimp satay (not traditional but good).

58. Leslie March 6, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

Oh my god. This is it. This. Is. It. The best peanut sauce I’ve ever tasted. Search no more. Thank you and your mother.

59. Michele April 14, 2011 at 5:56 am #

Hi!
    I made the Easy Peanut Sauce recipe! Thank you so much for posting this… it was scrumptiously delicious! Loved it!
    ***** (5stars)

60. Lindsay May 15, 2011 at 1:44 am #

This is just like the peanut sauce from my favorite Thai restaurant in San Francisco! They serve it over wide rice noodles with spinach and tofu, which is exactly how I made it at home. I’ve tried making peanut sauce for years and was always left disappointed until now. The only modification I made was to cut down on the curry paste a bit. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

61. Patrick Flynn June 3, 2011 at 2:58 am #

Still making this sauce, still love it! I can almost make it without the recipe. Finally used it tonight not on a pizza and the kids loved it with chicken satay…

62. cadence4life June 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

I started committing to one new recipe a week (I am a cooking neophyte) and used this recipe to get in the groove. It definitely worked! So I will continue to visit this site for more “new recipes!” Thank you!

63. aleeooops June 30, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

I am so glad I found your recipe! The recipe I had used before seemed to be missing something and so I added your ingredients to it and VOILA! It was right on!! Thank you so much!

64. Manny July 28, 2011 at 5:50 am #

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I made a batch a few hours ago and it tastes IDENTICAL to the peanut sauce from my favorite Thai restaurants I frequent!

I know this isn’t the “authentic” way to do it, but I made some chicken satay on a grill by cooking some cut up chicken breasts and basting them with the sauce as they cooked (and then using the remaining peanut sauce to dip the chicken in).

I made one change to the sauce that people who are watching their sugar intake may be interested in:

I replaced the 3/4 cup of sugar with granulated Sucralose (Splenda) instead. The end result isn’t as sticky sweet as regular sugar (since Splenda doesn’t hold up very well when you heat it), but it’s still sweet enough that you won’t miss the real sugar.

Thank you again!!

65. pete July 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

The recipe is great!! Thanks! I actually used sweetened chunky peanut butter but cut the amount of sugar in half. I also added a tad more curry paste for some extra hot love.

66. mamaraby August 19, 2011 at 8:42 pm #

Oh my, this was wonderful! It made enough for two meals for our family (easily). My husband thinks you could pour it over cardboard and it would be fabulous!

67. Admin August 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm #

mamaraby – Thank you! And please thank your husband for me.

68. Anonymous August 24, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

This is sauce I have been trying to make for years. THANK YOU, and of cource your mother!
    Susan Armstrong

69. Scottish Lassie September 9, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I managed to source all the ingredients no problem- in my local supermarket here in Scotland!
    I have split the batch into three, one for the freezer, one for the fridge and one for tonight. Tonights batch is already in the slow cooker (croc pot) with some lean pork and smells fantastic!

70. Caz :) September 14, 2011 at 8:11 am #

I thought I’d already commented on here when I found your recipe months ago and used it, but reading through them I didn’t recognise any… but… THANK YOU! This is my go-to recipe for satay sauce now… it’s just perfect! I’ve used it so many times now.. and everyone ALWAYS raves about it! Who knew that my missing ingredient was just Thai Red Curry Paste which I ALWAYS have in the fridge!! :)

71. BusyWorkingMama September 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Looks absolutely delicious! I will be trying it out!

72. Danielle October 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

Made this yesterday. I’m still kicking myself for not making a larger batch. Oh. My. God. I could have this every day.

• Janet November 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

I agree

73. 1973 October 17, 2011 at 7:36 am #

Been really enjoying your blogs. This recipe seems to be the most popular one with tons of responses. I’ve also made this recipe at a bbq last month with great feedback. But now I have a challenge due to my respect for your skills.

There is a version of satay sauce which I have only found in Thailand, so you may have experienced it. Occasionally, it can be found served by a street vendor whose pork satay is neon yellow and the size of a pencil. Sauce is served on a dinky plastic plate oozing with a shiny rim of orange oil. In the US, I may have encountered it once or twice that came close but fell far.

The taste and texture is indescribably perfect. Saltier than the ubiquitous US version, smooth but not creamy, somewhat on the thin side, somewhat oily that it almost slides of the meat.

There is a vendor in Bangkok military district that solely makes satay and nothing else, so good that it is the King’s favorite (pictures to prove). They also use this version, literally the king of peanut sauces.

74. Anonymous October 17, 2011 at 7:39 am #

Amazing love it substituted the sugar with Splenda to reduce the calories as I know the whole sauce will be used in one serving!! Bloody amazing

75. Admin October 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

1973 – There really is no secret magic to the oily version. You just have to start off by frying the paste in coconut cream (the first and most concentrated extraction of freshly grated mature coconut flesh) or, as some clever vendors do, lots and lots of oil. They most likely use fish sauce as the source of salinity and tamarind pulp as the source of acidity, and they simmer it longer. If you think about it, this sauce is actually a curry, albeit more concentrated.

Canned coconut milk, which is the most practical solution outside Thailand, is often homogenized, so it doesn’t always separate. A longer simmer can do the trick; so can the cheating by adding some vegetable to it. The fat from the natural peanut butter should also provide additional fatty mouthfeel. (That’s why I’ve specified that only natural PB should be used; a lot of people go ahead and use regular PB anyway.)

I should write a post on the more traditional satay sauce soon. Been postponing it for far too long.

76. Admin October 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

1973 – Correction: “cheating by adding some vegetable OIL to it”

77. Unknown November 3, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

I have tamarind paste on hand (for pad thai) how much would I use instead of vinegar. Also should I assume to prepare it the same as I would for pad thai? (Boil paste and strain)..

78. Admin November 4, 2011 at 12:12 am #

Unknown – Personally, I think that if one wants to use the more traditional tamarind in lieu of vinegar in this recipe, it’s also best to use the more traditional palm sugar and fish sauce in place of white sugar and salt respectively. Something about the combination of tamarind and white sugar and salt in this sauce doesn’t taste right to me.

I’ll post the full-on, traditional recipe eventually. Soon, I hope.

In the meantime, if you simply want to use tamarind, not knowing how concentrated your tamarind is (I make mine like this), the short answer would be to add a small amount of it (no more than 1 teaspoon) at a time until the sauce tastes good to you.

79. Adam November 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Just found your recipe. Perfect for my spring rolls. Delicious. Thanks!

80. Anonymous November 23, 2011 at 1:25 am #

When you say cider, do you mean apple cider vinegar?

81. Admin November 23, 2011 at 1:27 am #

Anon – Yes. I’ve fixed it to make it clearer. Thanks.

82. Nicole November 25, 2011 at 5:52 am #

Thank you for sharing this recipe! Making it to go with some fried tofu for a post-Thanksgiving snack. :)

83. Anonymous December 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm #

This peanut sauce was hands down one of the most amazing I have ever tasted. I will make it again and again and am now officially addicted to this site. I can’t wait to try other recipes

84. Brad December 14, 2011 at 1:29 am #

I just made this peanut sauce today. It’s incredible! I’ve never had a better peanut sauce. I simmered it a little longer (while stirring) because I wanted it to be extra thick. It’s perfect. I love how spicy it is but I may try 1/2 the red curry paste next time…so I can handle eating more of the sauce! I also used soy sauce instead of vinegar (didn’t have any), but it’s still AMAZING!

85. Admin December 14, 2011 at 1:38 am #

Brad – Thanks for the report. But soy sauce for vinegar? You scare me, man. :) If you want the full flavor without the heat, try replacing red curry paste with massaman curry paste. That has been my recommendation lately for people who like their peanut sauce with lots of flavor and less heat. No need to cut down on the amount or curry paste if you use Massaman; it’s much less spicy than red curry paste.

86. Anonymous December 20, 2011 at 1:54 am #

Just stumbled across your site last night and tried making the peanut sauce tonight. Upon the first taste, I almost fell to the floor, it’s that good!! Thank you so much for posting this and all these recipes… we’ll be eating well for a long time to come, thanks to you!

87. St. Bernard lovers January 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm #

Excellent …have made it several times..my college son takes a batch back to school with him when he’s home on break…only thing i did was add 3/4 of roasted peanuts…we are peanut freaks!!!….smuckers organic crunchy peanut butter is the best….and most asian markets have the curry paste in small cans….they all are good…i use the red, or even the panang curry paste if I’m out of red…i always make chicken panang curry ,,,so I always have coconut milk on hand…anyway…thx mom

88. Anonymous January 7, 2012 at 3:11 am #

i was looking for a good peanut sauce recipe and came upon yours. Its SOO good!! I wanted to eat it like a soup lol

89. 1 January 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

I have noticed a trend… you do not like rice vinegar. Is there a thai white vinegar thats more authentic, or should I just use the regular vinegar you see at albertsons?

90. Admin January 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

1 – I don’t. Rice vinegar according to the Japanese tradition isn’t used in Thai or Thai-Chinese cuisine. And in most of the instances I’ve seen it called for, it appears to be an attempt to make a recipe look more authentic (rice = Asian = authentic). Use white vinegar — the kind you wash your windows or unclog your coffee maker with.

91. Susie January 14, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

I really hope this somehow turns out different than what it tastes, after I bake it with chicken. right now it tastes like something I’d pour over ice cream, WAY too sweet :( I had to add at least another teaspoon of salt, a little more vinegar and some more peanut butter and I’m still not feeling very Thai…added some ginger and garlic powder as well…still not what I was hoping for. I wish I knew how to fix this because I feel like I wasted valuable ingredients in my pantry :(

92. Admin January 14, 2012 at 11:42 pm #

Susie – The way you have tried to fix it makes it even more “un-Thai.” Ginger has absolutely no place in satay sauce (and why would adding ginger and garlic powder make aomething less sweet). If you think this is too sweet, I’d make another batch or half a batch without any sugar and mix it with the batch you’ve already made.

By the way, you didn’t happen to make the mistake some have made before which is using sweetened regular peanut butter, right? This recipe calls for unsweetened, natural PB.

93. Chris January 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

Thanks for this lovely, TASTY, easy recipe Leela! For the South Africans out there – I used smooth Black Cat PB and reduced the sugar to taste.
    Satay from a jar? Never again!

94. lsmith77 January 25, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

discovering your food blog for the delicious recipes, but really like your writing. especially enjoyed this article about your mom and her recipes : )

95. jimalexanderjr February 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Lovely. I haven’t made my peanut sauce w/vinegar…. will give that a shot for sure. I use tamarind concentrate (likely this substitutes for the vinegar) and a small measure of finely shredded kaffir lime leaf in mine as well.

96. Admin February 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

jim – This version of my mom’s is as untraditional as untraditional goes. She used salt instead of fish sauce for crying out loud, and if she were alive, I would have asked her what she was thinking. But, you know, it works.

Tamarind in this would be a great idea. Not sure about kaffir lime leaves, though.

97. stepz February 14, 2012 at 4:42 am #

This came out sooooooo good! I accidently added WAY too much red curry and omg its so hot! But seriously the best recipe so far I have seen. I have been trying to look for a good peanut sauce recipe for YEARS and this is the best! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!! Next time I wont put so much curry in it hehe

98. Admin February 14, 2012 at 4:51 am #

stepz – Thanks! To save the batch that’s too hot, you can make another one without the curry paste and mix it into the previous batch. The end result should be mild enough. Or next time, you can use massaman curry (if you can find it in your area) in place of the red curry. Massaman is milder and allows you to add more of it into the recipe (to intensify the flavor) without making it too hot.

99. stepz February 16, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

I actually did that same thing today and it came out perfect. So now I have a lot of delicious peanut sauce that will last a while! I will be eating pad thai with peanut sauce every night! (My favorite dish)

100. Valerie March 8, 2012 at 12:17 am #

This is the most amazing thing I’ve ever tasted! I halved your recipe and used brown sugar. I’m new to your blog and can’t wait to try out more of your recipes! THANKS!

101. ashleyco March 12, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

I’m serving a crudite platter at a wedding reception next week and I was thinking of using a peanut sauce as one of the dipping sauces to serve with the vegetables. Do you think this would pair well with raw veggies?

102. Admin March 12, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

ashleyco – Not sure. The sauce isn’t traditionally used that way, but that doesn’t mean it cannot or should not. I’d make half a batch and try it with raw vegetable crudites before the big day. See how it goes.

103. Roberta Matuson March 20, 2012 at 11:51 pm #

Wow! Perfect and so easy to make. Thank you.

104. Katieeee April 3, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

this looks delicous! how well would it work without the vinegar or know of any good replacements? as i’m highly allergic to vinegar :(

105. Admin April 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

Katieeee – Use tamarind pulp (I wrote a post on how to prepare it). It’s delicious and actually more “authentic.” Leave out the vinegar and add very small amount of tamarind pulp (2 teaspoon s maybe), taste, add more if necessary.

106. Eric April 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm #

I made this for dinner last night…SO good. It took a lot of willpower to not just eat this alone with a spoon (and even then, I may have still had a spoonful or two). The balance of flavors is spot-on. I can’t wait to try a bunch of your other recipes!

Thanks!
    Eric

107. Sheri April 23, 2012 at 1:01 am #

Just made this tonight following the recipe exactly (with the massaman curry option) and OMG – this is one of the best things I’ve ever tasted!! My 7 yr old and I put the little bit of leftovers that didn’t fit into the jar on top of rice – WOW!!! Thank you!!

108. Cooking Rookie April 26, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Such a nice recipe! Definitely need to try

109. kles April 30, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

I love cooking Thai food, but this is the first time I’ve tried making peanut sauce. It was so good! Paired it with spring rolls. Thanks for posting.

110. victoriacamp May 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

This was one of the first recipes we tried out from your blog.. we used your satay recipe and made chicken satay, and made your mom’s peanut sauce recipe to go with it – OH MY GOODNESS.. this stuff is delicious. We purchased freshly made peanut butter (no salt, no sugar added, as specified) and I’m now convinced it makes a HUGE difference versus a regular kind like Skippy. The coconut milk recommended is also our favorite brand, too, and delicious.

The peanut sauce was so good, my boyfriend was literally eating it by the spoon-full right out of the pan. We used half the amount of curry paste (I’m a bit of a wimp with spicy things) and it was absolutely perfect. Better than any peanut sauce we can remember having at any restaurant. We’ve now eaten it with the satay, on the cabbage and rice noodle salad (also from your site) and as a dipping sauce for fresh rolls.

Thank you so much for sharing!

111. Unknown May 18, 2012 at 6:17 am #

Just came across your website and love it! For my last meal on this earth, I want anything Thai.

The passage on your mom’s error-filled cookbooks was really funny. I just located my grandma’s very old Russian cookbook, and she has lots of notes in the margins, including one next to a recipe for Polish baba: “А где сахар, дура?” [Where is the sugar, fool?]

112. Admin May 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

Unknown – I like your grandmother very much.

113. Carl May 26, 2012 at 6:44 am #

I made this sauce tonight for a big holiday barbecue tomorrow. I love it! I added the remains of the 4-ounce can of Mae Ploy red curry paste to fill out the flavor a bit more. Two ounces just wasn’t enough flavor and spice for my taste. Most everybody I know can handle more than that too. I think I may spice it up some more but I’m not sure I want to do it using red curry. Peanut butter really softens the fire of the curry paste.

Next time, I think I may add some tamarind just to see how that goes. And I have to try your green onion cakes too. I’m watching for your roti recipe!!!

114. Admin May 26, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Carl – Satay sauce, as traditionally made in Thailand, is one of those things where fiery hot spiciness does not represent one of their desirable characteristics let alone a mark of superior quality. Massaman curry is another well-known dish that definitely belongs in this category.

This is me reporting what’s traditionally done and sharing with you my personal opinion. However, I’m a big fan of people who know what they like and how to make it happen, so go Carl!

Having said that, two remarks real quick:

1. From my experience (as well as the experience of those who have written to me expressing surprise), only regular PB (the sweetened, spreadable kind) affects the end result negatively, not the natural, non-emulsified, unsweetened type which the recipe calls for. The latter is the only thing I can recommend as a substitute for a paste of roasted peanuts which is how this sauce is traditionally done. Regular PB will mess up the flavor of the curry, and I brought this up because of your comment about PB softening up the fire of the curry paste. You might have used the right kind of PB, but I thought I’d make a comment on this and err on the side of precaution.

2. I’m positive that the brand you use is Maesri as it’s the only brand that makes curry pastes in 4-ounce cans. Canned curry pastes are known for being much, much milder than the kind that comes in a plastic tub. (The discussion on this can be found in my Easy Thai Green Curry post. A brand like Mae Ploy packs in more heat (this doesn’t mean that it’s more flavorful than Maesri; it’s just hotter). So you may want to consider using the type of curry paste that comes in a vacuum bag in a plastic tub.

115. Linda Peterson June 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm #

Leela, I just stumbled upon your blog and LOVE it. And cried thru your whole post today. I too have some of my mothers recipes (handwritten) and although she has been gone 8 years I cherish reading her handwriting and the grease spots on her recipes. We are Native American and I introduced my mother to Thai food at this humble little place an hours drive from home. She too loved it and insisted Thai food to be her last meal before she was unable to eat out. I have sweet memories of her thru our favorite meals. She was a hell of a cook too. Blessings!

116. Admin July 1, 2012 at 1:52 am #

Linda – And now I cried through your comment. Thank you so much for sharing. Here’s to the memories of your mother!

117. Naplestan George July 3, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Thank God for Thai moms our mom didn’t go by a book just by memory view and taste. It’s also good to see all of the pictures and stories.

118. Anonymous July 7, 2012 at 5:26 am #

Excellent! Thank you so much for this. It was delicious.

119. Cindy July 7, 2012 at 6:32 am #

What a sweet post–nothing quite like a parents handwriting after they are gone. This peanut sauce is so good! We made the chicken satay and also ate the peanut sauce with anything we could think of–or plain by the spoonful!
    Thanks for a great recipe.

120. Anonymous July 23, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

I just want to thank you for this recipe! A lot of recipes I tried were trying to mimic Thai peanut sauce and just didn’t taste right. This recipe is fantastic! It is so simple and delicous! I had all of the ingredients in my pantry already. Thanks again! You have made my tastebuds extremely happy!

121. Anonymous July 23, 2012 at 11:29 pm #

I’m probably one of the few people here who think otherwise. This does not taste like the peanut sauce I had when I was in Thailand. I normally make my paste and sauce from scratch, but wanted to try this short-cut recipe. I followed the recipe to the letter (and used Masaman Maeploy curry paste). The peanut sauce was too sweet and quite frankly, the taste of the masamman curry did not mix well with the peanut mixture. I did not like it at all and had to dispose the whole batch.

CW

122. Brad July 24, 2012 at 9:54 am #

I know this may not be a proper use of this sauce, but I served it at a party as a dip with vegetable crudités. It was a BIG hit. Thank you.

123. Ploy July 24, 2012 at 10:50 pm #

@CW (Anonymous) Oh my god, I had to chime in. It’s one thing to say that this recipe gives you a sauce that’s too sweet for your taste (you CAN cut down on sugar like others have done, you know?). But to say that massaman curry doesn’t go well with peanuts…. are you kidding me? Of all the Thai curries, massaman is the ONE curry that goes most naturally with peanuts!!

Actually, in my Thai family, we don’t ever use red curry paste in satay sauce like Leela’s. Always massaman.

You’re way off base here.

124. Carl July 30, 2012 at 4:16 am #

Thanks for the insights, Leela! In fact, I found both the Maesri and Mae Ploy red pastes in 4-ounce cans, and I bought both. I forget which I used for this sauce. I used the other for an improvised dish on a different night, so I don’t have any reference regarding which might be spicier. That’s okay, though. Everybody loved it with just the single 4-ounce tin of red paste. But in the future when I feel I need more heat I will roast and grind some chilies myself and make paste from scratch. I tend to be somewhat sluggish by nature, and I find that the extra spice fires me up to stay busy when I really want to be lazy.

I forget now which peanut butter I used, but I am certain it contained only ground peanuts. I was careful about that detail.

125. Lea August 4, 2012 at 12:37 am #

Ok this stuff tastes great and like what you get in Americanized Thai restaurants which is about as close to real Thai food I have ever had. Thanks for the recipe! You rock!

126. Anonymous August 9, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

@CW who said massaman curry doesn’t go with peanuts (wha!!!!), I am, no, the whole country of Thailand is, rolling my eyes at you.

127. Eina August 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm #

Thanks for sharing this recipe! Tried it today and it’s exactly what I wanted.

128. kevin August 19, 2012 at 7:51 pm #

chicken satay is one of the thai dish my daughter will eat. she likes to be a big girl, and make it on her own. (a seasoning packet + coconut mik from the asian market and skewers from the dollar tree) i got tired of buying crappy, expensive, jars of peanut sauce. i reviewed a couple of online recipes and picked yours to try first.

FANTASTIC!!! just like i’d expect going out. i went with the masman (mae ploy 14oz tub) since i didn’t want any complaints about it being too spicy.

i used Adams no stir creamy peanut butter. i cut the salt in half since it has salt added. seems to be fine.

i’m looking forward to gobbling this all up, figuring other inventive ways (like patrick’s pizza) to use it

thanks!!!

p.s.
    i’ll be sharing this page/link on my google plus page for all the other foodies

129. george washington carver August 31, 2012 at 2:58 pm #

just stumbled across this recipe, sauce surfing. making it soon. had to read reviews first. ” i’ll be back”.

130. Bron September 8, 2012 at 4:09 am #

Hi there,

Isn’t the internet a wonderful thing? I’m a fussy eater and not a naturally good cook but I search the net for those elusive recipes that sound like they’ll produce my favourite restaurant flavour (and are easy enough to follow) and I come across fantastic, generous people like you. Tried this tonight and it was completely delicious. Beamed with pride. Thank you!

131. Helen September 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm #

Hey, is this recipe hot at all? I love satay but my partner can’t eat anything spices. We’ve had store bought satay which isn’t hot at all but I’m trying to find the mildest of mild home recipe possible. if not, do you have any suggestions of how to make it not spicey at all?

• Leela September 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm #

If you use massaman curry paste instead of red curry paste, it should be pretty mild. Not knowing how low the spice tolerance your partner is, I’d say start out with 2 teaspoons. You can always add more later. Having said that, a curry paste is a must in this recipe. Without it, it’s just not what it’s supposed to me, IMO.

132. Lia Negrete September 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

Thank you for this recipe. Me and my boyfriend loved this sauce , the flavors were out of this world. This will go in our forever home book. Thank you again.

133. Lynn October 20, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Hello, I was so excited to try this recipe. My daughter and I made a chicken and vegetable stir fry to serve over rice noodles and decided on this sauce. Well, once I tasted it I wondered if the recipe was a test to see if the reader was paying attention to the amounts listed. My daughter and I both found it much too sweet. I think I may try it again, but with at least half the sugar.

• Leela October 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm #

Lynn, this sauce is not a stir-fry sauce, and not usually used by the Thai people In a stir-fry or a salad the way it’s used by Americans. This is a sauce we use to serve along with satay, and it’s usually pretty sweet. That said, reducing the amount of sugar in the recipe to create something that works for you is a great idea.

134. Sara {House Bella} October 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm #

Hi Leela,
    I made this recipe modified as I’m doing Whole30. Almond butter instead of peanut, unsweetened apple sauce instead of sugar, and curry powder instead of Thai sauce. It was delicious! Thank you for such great inspiration.

Sara

135. Sabrina October 23, 2012 at 6:04 am #

Hi! I made this recipe last weekend for a thai themed b-day party for a friend and people went NUTS over it! I used penang curry paste as that was what I had on hand and it was unbelievably delicious. I served it as a dipping sauce for thai style meatballs and also used it as a dressing for a veggie noodle salad. So, so, so good! I have been looking for a satay recipe exactly like this for years, trying to recreate one that once had at a restaurant and they always have too much ginger/soy savory flavor. This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! :)

• Leela October 23, 2012 at 6:47 am #

Sabrina, thanks for the report. So glad you liked it. Recipes claiming to be Thai-style peanut sauce that call for soy sauce, ginger, or sesame seeds/oil always baffle me. These ingredients don’t belong in Thai satay sauce.

136. Renee October 23, 2012 at 6:29 pm #

We will never buy pre-made Thai Peanut Sauce again. This recipe is beautiful. Follow it down to the vinegar that you might not think you need, like me :-) It’s perfect and it does keep well in the fridge. I had it for over two weeks and it was just as fresh and tasty as the day I made it. Greg with fried tofu, chicken satays, as a salad dressing, mixed in with curries…you name it. I can’t wait to try it on a Banh Mi style sandwich soon. Thank you for sharing, Leela

137. Tawnya R October 29, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

Thank you so much. I have been looking for this peanut sauce for about 3 months now. This is just like a local restaurants. I love theirs so much! and now I have this one and I can not wait to make this for just every day or even for some fresh spring rolls.
    It took a little bit of time to find the right red curry paste. But it is so worth it. I had everything else in my house. Which makes this even better.

138. Jlc November 8, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Thank you for sharing your peanut sauce receipe. It is absolutely the best sauce I have ever tasted!!!!

139. C Cunningham November 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Excellent recipe! I’ve tried to replicate the yummy peanut sauce served in thai restaurants but have never been successful, until now! I did add the following ingredients but of course, this was not necessary, just personal preference…
    1 hot red pepper
    1 tbsp soya sauce
    2 tbsp & zest of lime
    1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
    5 tbsp fresh coriander
    Crushed peanuts

140. roxy November 14, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Wow. This is amazing and so simple! I was worried about using the full measurements as I thought I would have too much left over but it is clear to me as I lop up the last bit from my plate that I will be using the rest of this sauce during the week. So yummy! Thanks to you and your Mom for sharing this wonderful and authentic recipe! I can’t wait to try more!

141. Adam December 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm #

So happy I found this recipie. I have tried many, but none taste as good as this. The best part is that it takes only minutes to make!

142. The Woods' December 10, 2012 at 2:57 am #

WOW….this Thai Peanut Sauce is as good as the restaurants…if not better. I was sceptical of my daughter when she chose this one to make, but let her go and it is amazing. YUM YUM YUM Will be telling all our friends, so they can try too.

143. Jaime December 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm #

THIS IS DELICIOUS. I made it tonight for tomorrow’s lunch of chicken lettuce wraps and it may be finished before tomorrow! I could eat it with a spoon. Yum.

144. Inna December 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Ok, this is my fourth time making this sauce. It is very yummy. My husband and I love it. It is very simple and really good. Thank you so much.

145. Nia December 18, 2012 at 2:48 am #

Found your recipe by doing a search. Just wanted to add my praise to everyone else’s. I took one of your suggestions and cut back a bit on the sugar (only 1/2 cup) and used half the recommended curry paste (to appease my two year-old). It was the perfect compliment to our dinner. My husband has declared we never need to buy bottled peanut sauce again!
    What really prompted me to post a comment was your loving words and memories of your mother. She sounds like she was wonderful. Thank you for passing on her love for cooking and her recipes to us.

146. Michelle Stovold December 18, 2012 at 10:35 am #

resorted to making my own satay sauce after I couldn’t find any to buy anywhere. So glad i found this recipe – easy to make and tastes great!! Thank you :)

147. Rebecca December 18, 2012 at 10:10 pm #

Incredible stuff…I’ve tried making peanut sauce a few times with lime and soy and it just never came out the way I wanted. This recipe is perfect, even better than any restaurant peanut sauce I’ve tried! I had to resist just drinking the whole bowl full….thanks so much for sharing!

148. Lukas December 24, 2012 at 8:17 am #

Easy & Delicious! I love it.

149. Dan Fehr December 27, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

OMG…not sure if I expressed that correctly…OMG!! Amazing sauce. This would make leather taste good!

150. marisol December 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm #

Just made this recipe! So savory and pretty excited to use it tonight! Definitely going to recommend this to everyone.

151. Lorraine December 30, 2012 at 8:44 am #

This recipe is ridiculously sweet. There is no reason to use 3/4 Cup of sugar. 1 to 2 Tbs. brown sugar would be enough. I feel like I wasted good ingredients making this.

• Pravit December 31, 2012 at 1:06 am #

The reason, Lorraine, is that without this much sugar, there’s no way you can recreate good Thai satay sauce at home. You sure you didn’t confuse this with Chinese or Japanese peanut sauce that is used to make the kind of noodle salad you can get at Trader Joe’s? Go to a good, with the emphasis on good, Thai restaurant, order their peanut satay sauce to see if it tastes like you low-sugar version. If that restaurant puts in only 1-2 spoonfuls of brown sugar like you’ve suggested, you can come over here and kick me in the chin.

Leela, a comment from a clueless noob like this should help you answer the question you posted on Facebook about whether you should bother explaining the basic things in your cookbook. YES! YES, you should! We could have advanced in our understanding of different ethnic cuisines, damn, we should have recognized BY NOW the differences between the cuisines of Asia, but heeeeeeeeeeeeeells no. It’s people like Lorraine who set us back a decade or more. If you hope to write a book that makes sense to everybody, I’m sorry, you’re gonna have to stoop to the lowest level of understanding.

• Nirada December 31, 2012 at 8:44 am #

@Pravit You brought up a good point! Now it’s clear to me why some of these comments say adding hoisin sauce to Thai satay sauce makes it ‘better’.

COME ON, people!! There are many cuisines within Asia and they’re NOT the same!

• ollie April 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

Relax there punchy. The person didn’t know/doesn’t understand. Your point would be much better taken if toned down and even-keeled. No need to get so excited.

152. Steve January 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm #

I don’t know if this question has been asked yet since there are so many comments to go through but I was wondering if you could suggest a quantity of tamarind pulp to use instead?

• Leela January 10, 2013 at 4:43 am #

Steve, assuming you follow my preferred method of preparing tamarind pulp, I’d use 3 tablespoons. If you use store-bought prepared tamarind pulp which is much less concentrated, I’d say 4-5 tablespoons.

153. Steve January 12, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Tried this recipe last night as well but made it with tahini instead of peanuts also used tamarind & palm sugar turned out really great.

154. Valerie January 16, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

I just made this sauce (though I substituted the sugar for honey and decreased the water to 1/4c) and it was OUTSTANDING! I have only had satay from the bottle (once) and it was ok, but this was so good. I had purchased a nappa cabbage to make the salad along with the noodles but I didn’t bother with the noodles this time. Think we will be having chicken very soon so I can serve this with it.

155. Marc January 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm #

Thank you for this! It is quite delicious. Also one of those rare occasions when I had all the ingredients on hand, including Mae Ploy red curry paste, when I found the recipe. Might try adding three or four crushed kaffir leaves next time.

My suggestion:

1. Bed of chopped cabbage or lettuce.
    2. Pile shredded chicken tossed with shredded carrot and lime juice on top of that.
    3. Drizzle with peanut sauce. Well, maybe drizzle’s not the right word ’cause it’s pretty thick.
    4. Top with thin strips of scallion, cilantro, and chopped peanuts.

Yum.

156. Ken Rivard January 18, 2013 at 9:14 am #

My wife and I have a food/photo blog and through a roundabout series of connections I ended up here. Just wanted to drop you a note saying how lovely everything looks and how appealing your food sounds (I just subscribed). But what made me smile was the phrase “becoming so culinarily syncretic…” Ha! Ken

157. Blake January 19, 2013 at 9:39 pm #

This is a great recipe and I’m also fond of it because it’s the recipe that introduced me to this blog. The first time I made it I followed the directions exactly and it turned out great. On subsequent makings I’ve made substitutions based on what I’ve had in the house.

Almond butter is a good substitute for peanut butter if you don’t like peanuts or are allergic. I recommend reducing the sugar if you use almond butter since almonds have a naturally sweeter taste. The end result isn’t exactly the same, but you don’t need to change anything in the prep and it’s better than not being able to eat this wonderful sauce.

Lime juice is all right to use instead of vinegar, but I only used it because I was out of vinegar and didn’t want to go out right before I started cooking to get more. It didn’t really affect the taste, though.

I also like to use brown sugar instead of white sugar, it’s not as good as palm sugar but it definitely seems to add an extra “something” to the taste.

• Leela January 19, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

These are helpful tips, Blake. Thank you.

158. Kim January 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

I just made this today and couldn’t be happier!!

The only change I made was reducing the sugar by a LOT. I figured since I was going to be pouring it (instead of dipping it) over rice, tofu and veggies I didn’t need the extra sugar on top of all the fat.

I ended up with 2 tbsp of sugar (as opposed to the 12 tbsp that are in 3/4 cup).

And boy oh boy, it is absolutely perfect!

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It’s sure to be a staple in my fridge from now on.

159. Jill January 31, 2013 at 11:51 am #

This sauce is TO DIE FOR!!! It is such an easy recipe for having such a complex flavor, by far, my FAVORITE!!! Thank you for this!!

160. Kortez February 8, 2013 at 10:08 am #

First, I discover your wonderful Sriracha shrimp, and now this touching article about your mother and a pair of amazing recipes, easy Thai peanut sauce and shrimp satay with that same peanut sauce.

I feel incredibly fortunate to have not only noticed your blog but to have carefully read it and become attached to it. I feel like genuflecting that I’m not worthy, but I am very thankful!

So, thank you!

161. Christine February 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm #

LOVE this sauce. Chicken satay with this sauce is now THE most favorite meal in our house. This includes ages: 4,7,9,43, and 47. My kids wouldn’t stop eating the sauce.

I did omit the Thai sauce because I wasn’t sure about the ‘kick’ and it was deelish. I might add some kick next time, but why mess with success?!

Kop kung ka (phonetic spelling of what we learned to say at our favorite Thai restaurant).

162. Lisa February 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

WOW!! Absolutely amazing. Cannot stop liking my fingers even when it’s still boiling! Best sauce I’ve made. Thank you for the recipe!!

163. Ben February 14, 2013 at 7:56 am #

Hi Leela! I really enjoyed reading this! I’m in the process of collecting my mom’s recipes too especially because she cooks a lot of rural Thai food that I can’t find in any cookbooks. My mom always uses salt instead of fish sauce for peanut sauce and satay as well! She says the fish sauce is too overpowering for these kind of dishes! Thanks and I look forward to reading through more of your recipes!

164. kristie February 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm #

Wow. Love. Easy. Sharing. Thanks.

165. Bike Girl February 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm #

I tried this recipe after my family devoured a packaged Thai meal in a box with peanut sauce and rice noodles, add your own protein. This was SO good. My husband (who loves spicy food) adored it, but the 2 oz. red Thai sauce made it a bit too spicy for out daughters (8 and 10). So, I made another batch without red Thai sauce and combined the two batches to “dilute” the spiciness. Yum, yum! I’m looking forward to trying some of your other recipes, too. THANKS for sharing your recipes!

• Bike Girl February 17, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

I also reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup and used brown sugar.

166. Matt February 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

Hi Leela,

Your sauce is delicious, but I was wondering what you use for the meat marinade for satay… any satay I’ve had, the meat is always marinated with some sort of curry seasoning, perhaps you could shed some light on that?

Thanks again for a great recipe!

• Leela February 18, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Matt, you’re probably talking about satay made according to the Malaysian or Indonesian traditions. Those are very curry-heavy. Satay in central Thailand, which is what this is, is a little different. This particular recipe is also a simplified one.

167. Amy February 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

I cannot thank you enough for giving me a simple base to use for Peanut Sauce!!! I, too, love the Maesri curry paste (when I can find it in date at the local Thai/Laos Asian market ;) )
    I had to modify this for the time being (out of curry paste) and you know what? It was still stellar!! I used it on zucchini “noodles” (julienned with a hand slicer) and it more than filled my Thai hankering! So, know that even if you do not have the curry paste, you can still have a pretty jam up curry sauce using this recipe! I can just about guarantee that with the curry paste, this will be SPOT on to the one I love at my local restaurant!!!

168. Paola March 6, 2013 at 11:56 am #

Delish! Perfect sauce, love it so much!!

169. BMello March 12, 2013 at 1:40 pm #

OMG Leela, what have you done to my family!! :) this sauce is amazing and it is definitely heading into my own cook book along with praise to you and your amazing mum.
    In New Zealand we don’t quite have all the brands that you’ve used, but i’ve found some good substitutes, and the results were awesome.
    I think when you see your 18yr old son scraping with his 13 yr old sister and 11 yr old bro over who is licking the pot…. Jug… Spoon…. Serving dish… Then you know you’ve found a winner, and this was the first time I’ve made it….. And already the words gotten out…..
    I come from a Big Island family who love their basketball and rugby….. And FOOD!! and this will definitely be on the menu for the BBQ this weekend after our sports day :)

Thanks Leela, you’ve definitely added an ingredient into my families lives…. And our tummies… Lol

170. Suz March 29, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Believe the hype all, this sauce is AMAZING. Leela, many many thanks to you and your mother.
    P.S. My tip – add the sugar last and in small increments, I found that 1/3 cup was enough for me while 3/4 cup would have been too much.

171. Angie April 1, 2013 at 12:26 am #

I’m halfway through my first pregnancy, and my appetite has been all over the place; we’ve resorted to take-out from the Thai place down the block more than I like to admit, sometimes just getting peanut sauce for me to add to rice. I’ve never found a jarred sauce I like much, and it’s just getting too expensive to pick up all the time. Your recipe is exactly what I love in a peanut sauce, with the sweet level just right, and the complexity from the curry paste is wonderful. I’ve never really tackled my favorite Thai recipes before, but definitely plan to try more of yours–thanks so much!

172. Simone April 1, 2013 at 9:09 pm #

The hardest part of this recipe was shelling the peanuts! i love it!

173. Martin April 22, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Thanks Leela God bless your mom !! I gotta shedful of bellypork in the fridge and a tin of coconut milk & jars of peanut butter in my cupboard I did not know what to do with. Now I do !

Will try your recipe tonight and report back. Thanks ever so. Cosmic Tramp ( England, Great Britain) X

174. Elle April 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

This is awesome. Just awesome.

I’m wondering if people who think it’s too sweet 1. have ever tasted this sauce as it’s made in Bangkok and 2. use sweetened peanut butter.

175. Bonnie April 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm #

Made this peanut sauce for my culinary class. It was a hit!! Everyone loved it! Mixed it with chicken to make a Asian style chicken salad.

176. tipawan April 28, 2013 at 8:37 pm #

Baffled by the inclusion of vinegar in this recipe. Perhaps the vinegar is intended to substitute for tamarind juice/paste?

Khun Leela please be sure to include the original ingredient and then offer a substitute for your readers.

Thanks!

• Leela April 28, 2013 at 8:50 pm #

Hi Tipawan – This issue is addressed in the post itself and multiple times in the comment section. Thanks!

• Renee June 10, 2013 at 7:40 am #

No offense to any of your readers, but I don’t understand why people feel the need to suggest substitutions. Like you said many times, it’s in the post that this is a different way of doing it, but one your family loved! You poor thing. Well anyway, just wanted to pop in and say thank YOU so much. I have been on the look out for YEARS for a good peanut sauce similar to my favorite Thai restaurant in Ukiah, California. (I now live in Michigan and can’t get it) This is the only thing that has come close, and I couldn’t stop eating this yesterday! I had to go for regular store peanut butter since I didn’t have the all natural, and I only had curry powder and ‘lite’ coconut milk. Even with all that, it was still absolutely brilliant! Can not wait to get the correct ingredients and try it again. I’m sure I’ll be in HEAVEN! Will be subscribing to your blog now, sounds like from the comments you have lots of wonderful recipes :) Take care

177. Shona May 13, 2013 at 4:18 am #

Would this work with lamb kebabs to do you think? Or is lamb too strong and rich for this rich sauce?
    Thanks

178. CM May 21, 2013 at 12:58 pm #

We first had Chicken Satay in Saint Maartin, NA about 15 years ago at their annual Carnival – a celebration that is common during late spring in the Caribbean. As you may know, the Caribbean is a melting pot of culture and the local food benefits greatly!

Since then, I have been looking for a source of the delicious peanut sauce we experienced. I’ve come close a few times, but have never been able to duplicate the flavor until I tried your Mom’s recipe. This is the EXACT flavor I was looking for.

I skewer some chicken breast tenders and marinade them in the sauce for at least six hours (or overnight). Then, I place moistened mesquite chips in a smoker box (or wrapped in a cigar-like foil tube) inside my grill over a medium-low flame. When the chips begin smoking, I place the skewered chicken over the smoke, close the lid and allow them to cook for several minutes on each side until the sauce is a bit caramelized and they are cooked through.

The smoke from the mesquite adds a flavor similar to whatever wood they were using in the grill in St. Maartin and the combo is delicious! I use additional sauce for dipping or drizzling.

You can eat these directly from the skewer while walking around as we did in St. Maartin, or you can serve the chicken over rice made with chicken broth and some veggies with a drizzle of the sauce over the top.

Many thanks to you and your Mom for sharing one of the culinary delights that originated within your culture. If more of us did that, people would be too busy eating good food to argue over their perceived differences and we might actually achieve world peace some day!

179. Mila June 3, 2013 at 2:52 pm #

I am a peanut sauce fanatic and my first attempt at making it was with your mom’s recipe. DELICIOUS! Absolutely AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing :P

180. Jody June 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

I live in Thailand. Where do you find unsweetened peanut butter? (if you aren’t in Bangkok or Chiang Mai)…..

love your blog….just found it–

thanks!

• Leela June 9, 2013 at 11:58 am #

Jody – Probably easier just to grind up unsalted roasted peanuts in a mortar (you need 3/4 pound of them).

181. cat June 12, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

oh my gosh thank you! first peanut sauce recipe i’ve followed to the letter and turned out exactly as i’ve been dreaming of. …which is great because i’m newly unemployed and living on noodles, veggies and peanut sauce, at the moment. :)

182. Kelsey June 21, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

This sauce was everything that I dreamed it would be, haha. I made this for my friends with sautéed vegetables, brown rice, and baked extra-firm tofu. They LOVED it! Thank you so much for sharing your mom’s recipe, Leela!

183. Shelly Hearn July 3, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

This was amazing. My hubby loves Thai food, and anything with peanuts! I made fresh summer rolls, with tofu and fresh veggies from our garden. They were amazing dipped in this Sauce. Thanks a million, my family is thrilled with this new recipe :)

184. Quinn July 3, 2013 at 9:04 pm #

While preparing the mixture of ingredients for the sauce in the pan, I was worried it wouldnt taste sweet enough and quite bitter. However, after cooking it, It was..AMAZING. By far the BEST peanut sauce I have ever had. Thank you so much!

185. Sheree Scarabel July 4, 2013 at 11:16 pm #

Hi, I just made this sauce about two mins ago, and I had to stop myself from eating it ON ITS OWN! It’s better than any Thai restaurant satay sauce I’ve ever had! Thank-you so much. I will no longer be buying bottled satay! Thank gosh those days are over! xo

186. Deb - Sydney NSW August 1, 2013 at 3:48 am #

My kids and husband tried it, and wanted to know why I had bought it from our fav Thai restaurant and put it into a saucepan:) It is so very, very easy and soooooooooooooooo yummy:) I used a very mild red curry paste, and probably will go with my usual hotter one next time (I added about 1/2 tsp of chilli) It was absolutely perfect….no changes. I did have a problem though…I made it early to test it, and by the time the rice and chicken satays were cooked, I hardly had any left:( :)))))Thank you so much.

187. Michael August 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

Is this the kind of sauce I can use for a peanut curry dish that would have green peppers, green beans, water chestnuts, and rice? I’ve been trying to replicate my favorite Thai resteraunts peanut curry for a while with no luck.

Hoping this is it!

• Leela August 21, 2013 at 2:45 pm #

Michael – I’m positive that it is not. This peanut sauce is used solely as a dipping sauce for Thai-style satay. As for the dish you’ve described, my best guess is that it’s a Westernized version* of panaeng curry. If that’s not it, another possibility is a version (also Westernized) of massaman curry, but that one almost always contains potatoes.

*The vegetables listed, especially water chestnuts, aren’t typical Thai curry ingredients.

• Michael August 22, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Leela, thanks for the response. I think you’re right…on their menu they list their peanut curry being in a red curry sauce. Any suggestions? That Penang recipe sounds wonderful! Would adding green beans, green peppers, and perhaps chestnuts to the Penang, hopefully, somewhat replicate it?

• Leela August 23, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Michael – I think so. Throw in the vegetables towards the end of the cooking time. Adjust the consistency of the sauce with more water, if necessary, to replicate what you remember from the restaurant (panaeng sauce is supposed to be quick thick, but most Thai restaurants outside Thailand tend to make their panaeng soupy). The seasoning ingredients are limited only to the curry paste, fish sauce, palm (or brown) sugar; it’s just a matter of adjusting the flavor of your homemade version to mimic the restaurant version using just these ingredients. If your favorite version has a very pronounced peanut flavor, add more peanuts than what my recipe calls for. You already have the framework; have fun tweaking.

188. Arnaud August 27, 2013 at 5:01 pm #

Hi Leela, I wss in a Thai restaurant today, and it seems that they used something sour, I’d say kaffir lime leaf or lemongrass, in their peanut sauce. It was really good. Any thoughts or recommendations about this?

189. Emma August 30, 2013 at 10:05 am #

This, my friends, is the best recipe I’ve ever come across for at-home Thai satay. I baked chicken skewers in the oven and served them on a bed of jasmine rice with this sauce, and my husband about died after a 14 hour military shift – of happiness. This is now a regular in our house. Thank you so much for sharing!

190. Par1s September 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm #

Awesome recipe! I used 1 cup of Erythritol instead of sugar though, as I’m on a low sugar diet. It still came out great! Thank you!

191. Amanda B September 10, 2013 at 12:42 am #

I can’t have vinegar due to a yeast allergy :-( do you have a suggestion for a replacement? I’m usually using lemon or lime as a substitute. Oh, & thank you for adding the info about freezing it! Being yeast, dairy, & gluten free & not always motivated to cook, I’m always looking for good sauces to premake!

• Leela September 10, 2013 at 10:53 am #

Amanda B – You can use store-bought or homemade prepared tamarind pulp. For best results, use Thai brands.

192. Marcey September 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm #

love this recipe!

193. mike September 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

This peanut sauce is perfect…. we all love it. I didn’t have any red, so used panang curry, and it worked out just right. So easy and so good!

194. Judy September 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm #

I had no choice but to use the “regular peanut butter” and it worked so well. Just cut the sugar. We are still licking the bottom of the pan. Have not used it on the chicken yet. That works in a pinch. Will do it better next time. Can it be better?

195. Fran September 25, 2013 at 2:42 pm #

Sounds great. If I want to use as a salad dressing how much vinegar do I add.

196. Caz :) October 6, 2013 at 12:43 am #

2 years later… And I’m still using this recipe constantly…. <3 it!!

• Caz :) October 27, 2013 at 1:47 am #

And look… I’m back again…. I just can’t stress how much I love this recipe! Satay chicken rice for dinner tonight… Yum yum!

• Caz :) November 9, 2013 at 1:01 am #

And again tonight, haha…. Yum!

197. MackIndgoCody October 11, 2013 at 8:27 am #

I have been looking for a great Thai peanut sacue to make at home and this was the one! My favorite Thai food restaurant is a bit away and I was craving Chicken Satay with peanut sauce. Made it this AM and I can’t wait to have it for lunch. Thank you so much!

198. Jana November 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm #

I just made this sauce…one of the most wonderful things I’ve ever tasted!! I did use regular peanut butter, because it’s what I had on hand, and only ended up adding 1 teaspoon of sugar because I thought it tasted a little too salty. I made no other changes to the recipe. I think I could just drink this and be happy, but I’m going to make the shrimp satay tonight…thank you so much for sharing this recipe.

1. Shrimp Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce (สะเต๊ะกุ้ง) | SheSimmers - August 18, 2012

[...] recipe of Mom’s easy Thai peanut sauce with which to serve the shrimp satay [...]

2. Mango & Rice Tart from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri | SheSimmers - September 13, 2012

[...] just by looking at my copy: lots of butter stains and notes scribbled all over the margins (gosh, I’ve turned into my mother …).Intrigued by this delicious and creative tart that is a Western way of presenting the [...]

3. How to Eat Satay | SheSimmers - September 29, 2012

[...] especially in Bangkok, you will get four things: the satay that comes on bamboo skewers, a plate of peanut sauce, a plate of cucumber relish (ajat), and thick slices of white bread toasted on the grill. (It seems [...]

4. Chicken Satay Sandwich with Peanut Sauce and Cucumber-Onion-Pepper Relish | SheSimmers - September 30, 2012

[...] satay recipe post. The peanut sauce is courtesy of Mom; you can find the recipe in my post on easy Thai peanut sauce. All you have to do is to marinate the chicken, grill it, slice it, and set it aside. Arrange the [...]

5. Curry Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce and Cucumber Salad | One Happy Table - October 9, 2012

[...] the peanut sauce, I slightly adapted this fabulous recipe from “She Simmers.” Here’s what you’ll [...]

6. Southern Thai Sour Curry with Pineapple and Shrimp | SheSimmers - November 7, 2012

[...] definitely not a requirement, let alone a mark of quality, in many dishes (those who complain about Thai-style satay sauce or massaman curry being not ‘hot enough,’ I’m looking at you). Even dishes that [...]

7. Homemade Mayonnaise and Coleslaw « thesupertastercooks - December 13, 2012

[...] on the stove for five seconds. I’ve resigned to eating lots of raw meals with sauces (like this peanut sauce) and spreads for sandwiches. Pretty Emulsion [...]

8. Burmese Chicken Stew? Maybe? | SheSimmers - January 4, 2013

[...] Back then, all I cared about, sadly, was eating it, not learning how to make it. In contrast to my mother who wrote down more than she should have, Grandma never wrote down any recipes anywhere and, unless I was there when she made certain [...]

9. Szechuan Pepper Wings with Thai Peanut Sauce | Grilling.com - January 10, 2013

[...] found the absolute BEST Thai peanut sauce recipe in the world on the She Simmers blog, a blog all about Thai cooking. This recipe is easy-peasy and [...]

10. chickpea peanut sauce | Diary of a Crazed Cook - January 14, 2013

[...] coconut curry peanut sauce [...]

11. | TODAY IS ART - January 17, 2013

[...] A superb peanut sauce recipe! [...]

12. Diva In The Kitchen: Quick and Easy Veggie Yakisoba in Peanut Sauce - Continental Food Recipes - January 19, 2013

[...] is one I put together based on an Asian-inspired sauce I make for veggies and yakisoba noodles and this recipe for Thai peanut sauce. I wanted to make my sauce a little bit different this time and decided on [...]

13. Szechuan Pepper Wings with Thai Peanut Sauce | Grill Grrrl Blog: Grill Girl, Healthy Grilling Recipes, Tailgating Recipes, Paleo Recipes - January 21, 2013

[...] found the absolute BEST thai peanut sauce recipe in the world on the She Simmers blog, a blog all about Thai cooking. This recipe is easy-peasy and [...]

14. Green beans, Carrots, in a Peanut Sauce | ambrosiafood - February 5, 2013

[...] http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html [...]

15. Thai Peanut Sauce | sel et sucre - February 8, 2013

[...] Peanut Sauce (adapted from She Simmers) Yield: about 3 [...]

16. Thai Chicken and Pickled Garlic Pizza | parallel foodiverse - February 22, 2013

[...] 3/4 cup thai peanut sauce [...]

17. Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce | Lindsay Is Vegan - March 30, 2013

[...] found this really basic peanut sauce recipe and tossed it [...]

18. Vegan Meal Planning Week of April 7th | calcoastfoodie - April 7, 2013

[...] craving bell peppers, spinach, tofu and smoothies. A big batch of Thai Peanut Satay is currently cooling on my stove, with a pound of sweet bell peppers and cucumber for dipping near [...]

19. Thai Peanut Sauce | Consider It All Joy - April 20, 2013

[...] without further ado…Restaurant Quality Thai Peanut Sauce. Here is The Original Recipe. It is definitely worth reading through her post. If you’re in a hurry, though, here is the [...]

20. Recipes–Part II | Hey, Miss! - April 27, 2013

[...] lunch yesterday I pulled a recipe for Thai Peanut Sauce (one of my favorite condiments ever) and started scribbling on it. I happened to know two hungry, [...]

21. No-Name Thai Burger | if looks could kale - June 10, 2013

[...] Tbsp. peanut sauce (you can make your own authentic Thai peanut sauce [http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html], or you can use store [...]

22. Bon Weekend | We Come From NY - July 26, 2013

[...] I love this simple, authentic thai peanut sauce recipe. [...]

23. Simple Thai Peanut Noodle Stir Fry | Veggie and the Beast - September 17, 2013

[…] Peanut sauce recipe adapted from SheSimmers. You will likely have about &frac12; cup of sauce leftover from the recipe. Store it in an airtight […]

24. Tofu and Asparagus Stir-Fry with A Most Magical Peanut Sauce | PhD Kitchen - October 2, 2013

[…] for the (cook)books. It’s the peanut sauce, really a satay sauce, that makes it. You can make this dish with any type of noodle, any veggie, and any protein. Do […]

25. Daily Photos: October 1-11 | - October 21, 2013

[…] peanut sauce recipe that included Hoisen sauce. This summer, my sister-in-law introduced me to this Thai Peanut Sauce recipe and we’ve had a stash in the fridge ever since. It is great with […]

26. Hot Fudge Pudding Cake with Coconut Milk | SheSimmersSheSimmers - October 21, 2013

[…] post is affectionately dedicated to my mother — a cookbook addict who could have been spotted several years ago rifling through piles of old American cookbooks at […]

27. Thai Tea Cheesecake with Chocolate Crumb Crust from The Heart of the Plate: A Tribute to Mollie KatzenSheSimmers - October 22, 2013

[…] mother was the one who inspired me to cook. She was the one equipping me with all the resources to help me retain the cooking tradition I grew up with. But Mollie Katzen is […]

28. Gurken-Minze-Salat mit Satayspiesschen » Trüffelschwein - December 11, 2013

[…] Begriff ‹Satay› wird hierzulande meist mit der thailändischen Sataysauce in Verbindung gebracht, bezeichnet aber allgemein ein südostasiatisches Grillgericht auf Bambus- […]

29. Thai Peanut Tofu & Zucchini. | FOOD BY BETSY - December 11, 2013

[…] Peanut sauce is adapted from this recipe. […]

30. Weekly Real Food Menu Plans #10 - - December 22, 2013

[…] to taste with salt and butter); 1/2 cup cashews; 3 lbs cubed chicken breasts; 1.5 cups peanut satay sauce. Cook the rice.  While the rice is cooking, cube and cook the chicken in a pan in coconut oil. […]

31. No-Name Thai Burger | The Wanderlust Kitchen - December 27, 2013

[…] Tbsp. peanut sauce (you can make your own authentic Thai peanut sauce, or you can use store […]

32. Khao Phra Ram Long Song “Swimming Rama” (ข้าวพระรามลงสรง) – Part Two (Recipe) | SheSimmersSheSimmers - February 12, 2014

[…] cuisine in general — and this may come as a surprise to some — the sole function of peanut sauce/satay sauce is to serve as an essential part of a typical satay ensemble. It is not used in or with anything […]

33. Fresh Spring Rolls with Thai Peanut Sauce | livingthebalancedlife - March 5, 2014

[…] I got the recipe for the sauce that I use from another blogger and the link to her blog is http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html. The sauce is actually a Thai Satay sauce and can be used in a number of recipes. Essentially, its […]

34. » Wilted Spinach Salad with Thai Peanut Vinaigrette - March 6, 2014

[…] bloggers: Red Curry Thai Peanut Sauce, Kalyn’s Kitchen, with coconut milk and red curry My Mom’s Thai peanut sauce recipe, She Simmers, simmered with coconut milk Peanut Noodle Saute with sauce, Closet Cooking, also with […]

35. Drunkard's Noodles (Pad Kee Mao) - Simple Thai FoodSheSimmers - May 19, 2014

[…] recipe which – trust me on this – the Thais don’t make at home; sometimes, I give you a recipe so easy you can make with your eyes closed; sometimes, I worm my way into a professional kitchen to get you […]

36. Savory Turkey Burger Sliders | The Hostile Hostess - May 23, 2014

[…] Let’s start this adventure with the phenomenal peanut satay. It is primarily made from freshly ground peanuts, coconut milk, sugar and Thai red curry paste. Basically it is on the sweeter end of the spectrum, but the red curry paste lends a touch of complexity that hits your taste buds in an exceptionally positive way. I followed Leela Punyaratabandhu’s recipe from her blog SheSimmers. You can find it here. […]

37. Shrimp Summer Rolls | The Grown Ass Woman - June 3, 2014

[…] not a sweet chili sauce fan like you should be, there’s also a peanut sauce recipe here that you can check […]

38. Southern Thai Grilled Chicken Recipe (ไก่ย่างกอและ)SheSimmers - June 13, 2014

[…] is delicious. It may look spicy, but it’s only mildly so. If you like chicken satay with peanut sauce, you will like this dish. The sauce doesn’t contain peanuts, but there’s something […]

39. Ilya’s 33rd Birthday Closing Ceremonies | Yums for the tum - August 13, 2014

[…] lo mein, http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html, for the peanut […]