Angled Gourd Stir-Fry

Like many Thai people who have coconut, mango, or banana trees in their homes, both sets of my grandparents had lots of fruit trees in their homes. Their herb gardens also grew all year round with various herbs sprouting new leaves ready to be picked every week. Once in a while — just for kicks — we even grew some vegetables that we could have easily obtained from the market.

Angled gourds were among those vegetables. When some gourds were ripe for the picking, we would make this and serve it as part of dinner.

Angled Gourd Stir-Fry (ผัดบวบ) with Shrimp and Eggs
Serves 4
Printable Version

2 lbs angled gourds, peeled and roll-cut (see instructions here)
1/2 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules (optional)
Fish sauce, to taste
A tiny pinch of ground white pepper

• In a wok, over medium heat, fry the minced garlic in vegetable oil just until it becomes fragrant.
  • Add the gourds, chicken bouillon granules (if used), and about 1/2 tablespoon of fish sauce. Cook, covered, for about a minute just to soften the gourds somewhat.
  • Add the eggs and the shrimp to the wok. Crank up the heat to medium-high. Stir. Cover for about a minute or until the shrimp is cooked.
  • Do a taste test. Add more fish sauce, if necessary.
  • Sprinkle a pinch of ground white pepper on top. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
  • 6 Responses to Angled Gourd Stir-Fry

1. Angry Asian March 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

what is the taste like? when i read the word GOURD, i think bitterness, as in the bitter melon/gourd…

2. Leela March 18, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

AA – Sweet and mild. The texture is soft, but not mushy or fibrous. And if you leave some of the skin on, you get a bit of crunch too. Nothing like bitter melon at all.

3. LimeCake March 19, 2011 at 12:15 am #

I love dishes like this. They remind me of home. Don’t think I’ve ever tried angled gourd but I’m certainly keep an eye out for it the next time I’m in Thai town.

4. lisaiscooking March 19, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

I wish I could grow more edible things in my own yard. Herbs do well, but I don’t have much success with vegetables. This dish looks like a perfect, simple mix of flavors. It makes me want to try an angled gourd, and the egg and shrimp look fantastic!

5. Dan Dowling March 26, 2011 at 8:48 pm #

This dish reminds me of one I had with winter melon, shrimp and egg. Absolutely loved that dish. Is the angle gourd similar in texture to winter melon Leela?

6. Leela March 26, 2011 at 9:01 pm #

Dan – Not at all. Angled gourds are spongy which allow them to soak up and retain the delicious juices very well.