Thai Tea Fudge

thai tea
You know how when you’re really smitten with someone, you can’t hide it from your friends even though you want to, because they see right through how you stammer like a fool when talking about that person, right? Well, this, er, Thai tea fudge, is, um, like, good, like, really, really good — like the actual tea with condensed milk, except it isn’t, you know, liquid and it, well, doesn’t come with ice. What I’m, uh, trying to say, is, if you love Thai tea, you’ll love this. And, yeah, please make it.

Thai Tea Fudge

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Candy, Dessert, Vegetarian
Serves: One 8x8-inch pan
Ingredients
  • 18 ounces (520g) white chocolate chips, divided (I use Nestlé. For best results, you should use it as well. People have reported that the tea doesn’t dissolve in or adequately perfume melted baking white chocolate tablets.)
  • 14 ounces (396g) sweetened condensed milk, divided in half
  • One tablespoon/.25 ounces (8g) loose leaf Thai tea (unsweetened with no creamer mixed in)
  • 1 teaspoon (4g) baking soda, divided in half
Instructions
  1. Line an 8×8-inch pan with a piece of aluminum foil; butter the foil or grease it with nonstick spray.
  2. In a heatproof bowl, placed over a pot of simmering water, melt together half of the white chocolate and half of the sweetened condensed milk. Once smooth, whisk in Thai tea and half of the baking soda. (Add half of the Thai tea first to see if it colors and melts into the white chocolate mixture readily; if not, stir about 2 teaspoons warm water into the remaining tea and whisk that in. This step may not be necessary. Just play by ear.) Spread the mixture into the prepare pan; smooth out the surface. Put the pan in the freezer for 5 minutes or in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
  3. In another heatproof bowl, melt together the remaining white chocolate and sweetened condensed milk over the same pot of simmering water. Once smooth, whisk in the remaining baking soda.
  4. Remove the fudge pan from the refrigerator/freezer and immediately pour the white chocolate mixture over the tea layer; smooth out the surface.
  5. Refrigerate the fudge for at least 2-3 hours. To serve, remove the cold fudge from the pan and cut it into desired size with a knife dipped in water. (The fudge can be served cold or at room temperature, but it’s easier to cut it when it’s cold. You can even freeze it briefly, if your refrigerator is overcrowded and not cool enough. The fudge will get soft if left outside the fridge for a long time; if that happens, pop it into the freezer for a few minutes.)

41 Responses to Thai Tea Fudge

1. Fahad Khan December 4, 2011 at 8:21 am #

This looks,and sounds so delicious;I better tweet this recipe too!I absolutely adore white chocolate,and condensed milk,both.
    Thank you,I am noting down/bookmarking this recipe.:-)

2. thelittleloaf December 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm #

This looks absolutely gorgeous. I love fudge but sometimes it needs a little spice or extra flavour to cut through and stop it becoming too cloying. Your thai tea fudge is perfect – definitely going to make this for christmas presents! Thanks for a great recipe 🙂

3. Sharyn Dimmick December 4, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

I imagine the Thai tea addicts will love this. If I were going to make it, I’d make a coffee version (I like Thai tea, but hot and not sweetened).

4. Admin December 4, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

Sharyn – Ha. The coffee version is in the work as we speak.

5. Kitty December 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm #

Ooooh that looks divine 😮

6. Bville Yellow Dog December 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

Do you have a suggestion for the brand of tea?

7. Admin December 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm #

Bville – Pantainorasingh is a great brand. Por Kwan is also good. The only caution is that, whatever brand you buy, make sure it’s just the tea leaves, not a tea mix with added sugar and whitener. This is what you want.

8. chinmayie @ love food eat December 5, 2011 at 2:22 am #

This looks great! Love the colour 🙂

9. Anne Marie December 6, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

I have to admit I despise fudge, generally speaking. It always seems like a gritty, smudgy, pollution of chocolate. Your dessert creation, however, looks heavenly. I love Thai tea and, despite being a dedicated over 70% chocolate snob, I adore baked white chocolate. Lovely dessert.

10. Rosa's Yummy Yums December 7, 2011 at 3:58 pm #

That fidge looks amazing! I love the loks and flavoring.

Cheers,

Rosa

11. dena December 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm #

Oh, my! These look wonderful!

12. The Americaine December 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm #

Thai iced tea is, absolutely, one of my favorite things in the world. And these look like they may make it to that list as well!

13. lisaiscooking December 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

I’m fixated on fudge today, and this one looks amazing. And, I love white chocolate. Wishing I could grab a taste from the screen.

14. Mafalda December 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm #

It looks amazing! I will definitely try this soon! Maybe for Christmas, as I am such a big fan of Thai tea!!

I will use soya milk instead…hope it works!

Do you use any tea brand in particular for this recipe?

15. Admin December 8, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Mafalda – No, it won’t work. You need the sweetened condensed milk; that is, unless you meant sweetened condensed soy milk.

Information on the brand of Thai tea I use is found in my answer to Bville Yellow Dog’s question above.

16. Gregoire Michaud December 10, 2011 at 2:44 pm #

Very clever recipe! 😉
    Love the blend of tea flavors and textures!

17. Anonymous December 10, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

I made the recipe in an 8×8 Pyrex dish, followed the recipe, weighed the ingredients. Mine didn’t make the depth of yours, and there wasn’t the color. Did you make Dolce de Leche with the tea layer? The site is a constant source of inspiration and wealth of knowledge. Thank You so much.

18. Admin December 10, 2011 at 11:53 pm #

Anon – Mine comes out 1 centimeter high for both layers. They may look thick in the photo, but each layer is only half a centimeter high. That should be what you end up with as well. As for the color, not sure what’s going on. Different brand of tea, perhaps? I don’t do anything to the tea layer to make it darker; it’s just tea, white chocolate, and condensed milk.

19. Debby W. December 11, 2011 at 5:07 am #

I had the same problem as “Anon”, above. Nothing activates the tea leaves (they need hot water to bleed “red” and to produce a flavor; simply adding dry tea leaves to heated melted sweetened condensed milk and white chocolate does not do anything. I even used the same brand (same packaging) of tea leaves as in your link.

After making the first layer (the one with the tea in it) and observing the lack of taste and red color, I made the second layer differently. Instead of omitting the tea, I used double the tea leaves and mixed them with a tablespoon or so of hot water before mixing the mixture into the chocolate/milk mixture. This definitely added the right color, but still not enough (barely detectable) tea flavor.

Did you really just add dry tea leaves?

20. Anonymous December 11, 2011 at 8:53 am #

I doubled the recipe and made four layers instead of two so it didn’t look like how iced Thai tea is presented, but YUM nonetheless. Thanks for the idea!

~Heather

21. Admin December 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

Debby W. – Hmm.. This is a head-scratcher. I don’t know what to tell you. Out of curiosity, I made the recipe again this morning and got the same result I’d always had, i.e. orange (too orange, in fact, that I have many times thought about decreasing the amount of tea for fear of turning off those who are afraid of artificial coloring) tea layer.

I did really just add dry tea leaves. Had I done something differently to the recipe, I would have included that step.

Did you stir in the tea after the white chocolate and condensed milk have melted? If you add it right at the beginning, that might be the reason although I can’t explain it scientifically.

22. BookWyrm December 11, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

For the poster who was thinking about doing a coffee version. It’s yummy. I grabbed the wrong bag from my tea box (which also houses some loose coffees) and didn’t realize I was making Thai Coffee Fudge instead of Thai Tea Fudge until I had tipped the spoon and thought why do I smell coffee…oops. Great non the less. Will do tea next time.

23. Debby W. December 11, 2011 at 11:44 pm #

I did stir in the tea only after the white chocolate and condensed milk had melted, but that didn’t seem to matter. They’re melted (and completely smooth, but thick), not moist in the way that water is, so it doesn’t seem to do anything with the tea leaves.

24. Kitchen Physicist December 14, 2011 at 2:11 am #

My pan is chilling right now…I followed the recipe precisely.
    I have and used the same brand of Thai tea as recommended, but got a very pale color and almost non-existent tea flavor. I used Baker’s brand white chocolate and can of Black & White condensed milk. Different brands of chocolate and milk may have slightly different moisture contents, enough to make a difference in the amount of flavor and color extracted from the tea.

25. Admin December 14, 2011 at 2:50 am #

Kitchen Physicist – Thank you. That could explan it. I use Nestlé white chocolate chips. Perhaps I need to specify that in the recipe. Didn’t think it would make a difference, Thanks again.

26. Kitchen Physicist December 14, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

I cross-checked ingredients, and the Nestlé morsels are made with both whey and non-fat milk. The Baker’s brand does not have any liquid ingredients listed, and this might explain the difference. Nestlé uses palm kernel oil, and Baker’s uses cocoa butter, but I am not sure how much this matters. When I prepare the next pan (oh yes, there will be a next pan!), I plan to steep some of the tea (probably half) in a spoonful of vodka. In my experience, vodka does a better job of extracting flavor & color than plain water.

27. Admin December 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm #

Kitchen Physicist – I didn’t for a minute think that there would be any difference between white chocolate morsels and white chocolate tablets, especially considering there is liquid and some milk protein in the condensed milk. But apparently, there is.

Please do let us know how the vodka experiment goes. Thanks so much again for your very helpful feedback and information.

28. Anonymous December 17, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

I was just about ask about the type of chocolate you used. Your ingredient list makes it sound like just regular white chocolate bars. Fortunately, I picked the right kind (nestles) at the supermarket. The reason I was confused is that the Nestles chips bag come in 12 oz bags and your recipe asks for 14oz. I’m looking forward to trying this with my kids!

29. Admin December 17, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

Anon – Glad you bought the right kind. The recipe actually calls for 18 ounces of white chocolate chips — 1 1/2 bags.

30. Anonymous December 18, 2011 at 12:24 am #

Oops.. My bad.. Btw.. Love all your recipes and the photos and back stories are great too! I’ll register later, so I won’t be anonymous.,

31. Sleepy Floyd December 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

Okay.. I made a batch of this last night the colors look great, you can see the tiny flecks of tea leaves and it tastes good too.. my only thought is that the white chocolate is a bit overpowering.. I can barely taste the tea flavor, if at all..

I think as others have alluded to, the amount of time cooking the tea and the ratio of white chocolate/condensed milk to tea leaves doesn’t really allow for the tea flavor to infuse into the mix.

I’d be interested in whether or not adding vodka or somehow steeping the tea leaves might increase the tea flavor intensity.

32. Admin December 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm #

Sleepy Floyd – Did you use tablet white chocolate like some of the people have done or white chocolate morsels? Would love to hear how the vodka method works out as well. If you ever try, please report back. Thanks a bunch!

33. Sleepy Floyd December 18, 2011 at 9:17 pm #

I was the last “anon”… so, I used the Nestle’s White Chocolate Morsels.. 🙂 I might play around with the mixture a bit.. I know you cautioned against it, but I wonder if adding a little of the powdered tea mix might help..

34. Debby W. December 20, 2011 at 7:04 am #

I tried again, this time with the Nestle white chocolate morsels (and a fresh batch of tea leaves that I took from a Thai restaurant). It still didn’t develop much color or taste, so I steeped the tea leaves in a bit more of hot water than I did last time and then dumped it all in.

The taste was awesome, but there was too much moisture for it to really set up as fudge (it was more like frosting). Cutting it was definitely a pain (since it wanted to stick to the knife), but people seemed to really enjoy it.

35. Sleepy Floyd December 20, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

I let my fudge sit for 2 days and the tea flavoring seems to have gotten a little strong.. But not enough.. I may try steeping in vodka later this week.

@debbie – interesting, I had no issues with the coloring,,, how much water did you use? I wonder if you steep the tea leaves, then boil off some of the water, so the mixture is more concentrated, whether that would make it less liquidy.

36. LandForSaleThailand January 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm #

Very interesting!!!

37. Sleepy Floyd January 6, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

okay.. so I tried soaking 1 tsp of the dired tea leaves in 2 tsp of vodka for about 10 minutes as I prepped the rest of the rest of the ingredients. The vodka was at room temperature, as I wasnt sure if i was supposed to heat it, and it was such a small amount, that I couldnt figure out w a convenient way to heat it anyway. The first thing I notificed was how fast the dyes in the tea came out and colored the vodka orange..

I prepared everything else as normal, using the vodka/tea mixture along with another tsp of tea leaves in place of the 1 TBS of dry leaves.

The end result was similar, no real increase in tea flavor, or color (although, color was not an issue earlier either). I think the fudge was a little softer (but definitely NOT frosting-soft) however that could just be my imagination. but I would be hesitant in adding much more than 2 tsp of any liquid to the recipe.

38. soop January 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm #

I’ve been clicking through your fabulous blog since I happened upon it on a random sriracha google search (don’t judge me). I love the photography and your explanations, and your delicious looking food. But this entry has compelled me to actually comment. This. This is brilliant. As someone who has been getting some sadly underfatted and undersweetened Thai iced teas served at otherwise nice eateries, I think I realize now that what I needed all along is this recipe.
    I don’t mean to be creepy, but I think I love you.

39. dee May 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm #

I just made this because I love and make my own Thai Tea but….. I didn’t like the actual tea in this. U would make it but with powdered tea.

40. Cindy June 18, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I am not familiar with Thai Tea. I took a look at the link to the tea you posted and the ingredients say “Green tea (camellia sinensis) and FD&C Yellow #6”.
    Since I won’t eat any kind of food coloring, why couldn’t I just use green tea?

This recipe looks amazing and I would love to give it a go,

• Leela June 18, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Cindy – Not a dumb question at all. I actually hadn’t noticed the ingredient list until you brought it up. To be honest, I’m not so sure if those are all of the ingredients in the tea mix. Usually commercial Thai tea comes with spices and vanilla essence. Perhaps some things have been lost in translation? Not sure. You can definitely use any tea you like: Early Grey, etc., even Japanese matcha powder.