Shrimp Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce (สะเต๊ะกุ้ง)

shrimp satay with thai peanut sauce recipe
This is somewhat of a scaled-down, cheaters’ version. I’ll soon post the street vendors’ version with both the marinade and the grilling sauce which would be more appropriate for pork or beef satay. I hope this will tide you over until then. It’s a quick recipe, but delicious nonetheless.

5.0 from 1 reviews
Shrimp Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce (สะเต๊ะกุ้ง)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer, Main, Entree
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1½ lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined (not smaller than 16-20 count)
  • 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
  • ½ teaspoon ground white or black pepper
  • One medium garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • ⅓ cup coconut cream (not Coco Lopez, but the fatty part of plain, unsweetened coconut milk that rises to the top of the can. If you don’t have coconut milk, cream, half-n-half, or evaporated milk can also be used.)
  • One recipe of Mom's easy Thai peanut sauce with which to serve the shrimp satay
Instructions
  1. Mix the shrimp and following six ingredients together.
  2. Pan-grill the shrimp (you can go free-style or thread the shrimp on bamboo skewers like I did here) until cooked.
  3. Serve with the peanut sauce.

30 Responses to Shrimp Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce (สะเต๊ะกุ้ง)

1. doggybloggy April 30, 2009 at 12:10 pm #

ok here I am without any of moms peanut sauce – I better get on it! your shrimp looks like its cooked perfect.

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 30, 2009 at 2:30 pm #

I love shrimp and great that your mum passed on her recipes to you. Mine won’t part with hers!

3. Phyllis April 30, 2009 at 2:45 pm #

Hi Leela,
    Satay shrimp looks delicious. Clever way to use up those lonely little guys!
    And I’ve just printed out the recipe for your mom’s satay sauce. My husband has been making me buy peanut/satay sauce in a jar ever since I unsuccessfully tried making him “Satay Beef” (it was a long time ago but hubby still refers to it as the ‘peanut butter beef incident’)

4. Kelly April 30, 2009 at 4:49 pm #

Your shrimp satay look lovely! I never seem to find cool stuff like this in the fridge. Tres sad, I know. Of course, the grocery store has shirmp, and I have everything else, including some of that awesome peanut sauce. I made it and it was very faboosh!

5. duodishes.com April 30, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

So funny! You took those 6 shrimp farther than they ever thought they’d go. Yum.

6. Jenn April 30, 2009 at 6:53 pm #

What happened to the other two shrimpies? LOL.

Either way…yummy satay. I’ve got to try that peanut sauce.

7. Zita April 30, 2009 at 8:48 pm #

Satay is one of my fave, but shrimps satay those r beyond fave, especially with recipe that has been pass through generation 🙂

8. Spoon It On May 1, 2009 at 2:20 am #

This looks wonderful! You’ve given me another idea as to what to do with my shrimp on the bbq. Love your blog, by the way.

9. gastroanthropologist May 1, 2009 at 7:42 am #

I can’t eat too much shrimp (one piece only and then my skin starts to itch). But, love peanut sauce, so I’ll have to find some other satay stuff for this. Its so great you have your mom’s cookbooks and her notes. My mother doesn’t use a recipe for anything so I have to watch and cook with her.

10. Michelle May 2, 2009 at 2:09 pm #

OH MY…this shrimp look fab! We love satay but I’ve never made it!

I always have shrimp in the freezer, it’s a staple!

11. oysterculture May 2, 2009 at 7:16 pm #

I love satay and of course the peanut sauce goes without question. To Jenn’s point your frugalness brings to mind another biblical story with the loaves and fishes. Maybe a dish with nigella is in order.

12. Marc @ NoRecipes May 8, 2009 at 5:56 pm #

Those shrimp look delicious! I can almost taste the spice encrusted on the outside!

13. Spoon It On May 11, 2009 at 11:09 pm #

“My kids” made this for mother’s day last night but I didn’t have ground coriander, so I used fresh coriander. They didn’t quite look like yours but with the YUMMY peanut sauce, they were delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

14. Nuntiya May 18, 2009 at 10:26 am #

Love the photos , they look amazingly handsome.

15. Suzy May 16, 2010 at 11:55 pm #

There are no peanuts in this recipe.

16. Leela May 17, 2010 at 12:09 am #

Suzy – There’s a link to the peanut sauce at the end of the post, the second to last line.

17. Kevin May 26, 2010 at 2:10 am #

That shrimp looks really good!

18. Anonymous August 16, 2010 at 3:32 pm #

The mix tasted too tumericky (excuse my language abuse) and grainy before I used it, which worried me. I added a little salt because I thought it needed it – then decided not to mess with it any further, and to just trust you. I grilled about 2 lbs of shrimp, and served them to three adults and two kids with your Mom’s great peanut satay sauce on Saturday, as an appetizer.

The shrimp vanished so fast! Everybody loved them, and nobody objected to the heat of the satay, which is something I worry about when hosting people who are not used to spicy food (the tumeric powder was fine once it cooked).

My advice is: overestimate the appetite of your guests, because they will want lots of these shrimp and lots of the sauce too.

IanG

19. Leela August 16, 2010 at 3:39 pm #

IanG – As always, thanks for the helpful feedback. I don’t include salt in the marinade as the shrimp is meant to be dipped in the peanut sauce which has a pretty intense flavor. I think what you did was a smart move; the shrimp should be flavored in such a way that it can stand alone with or without the sauce. Glad people liked it! 🙂

20. Halie November 6, 2011 at 12:39 am #

This recipe tasted fantastic, but I’m pretty sure now that I did it wrong! When I saw “mix all the ingredients” I threw in the peanut sauce, too, and wondered at my soupy concoction. Oh well, it turned out great in the end.

21. Admin November 6, 2011 at 2:27 am #

Halie – Yikes. Sorry. The instructions are indeed misleading. Let me fix it. Thanks.

22. anonymous April 30, 2012 at 3:19 pm #

What can one do with the “tail” of the coconut milk after using the cream part for the marinade? Dont want to waste it.

23. Admin April 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm #

anonymous – Many non-curry, savory applications that call for coconut milk. Tom Kha Gai is one of them.

24. Anonymous June 5, 2012 at 8:30 pm #

Hi Leela, I’m a big fan of your blog, thanks for your original thai recipes, keep up the good work! 🙂
    Today I tried the satay with your great peanut sauce. I used chicken and marinated it as instructed, but the chicken tasted pretty bitter after being grilled.. I’m afraid it was the turmeric but not quite sure. The peanut sauce was great but pretty thick, not sure if it supposed to be like that?

Any ideas? Thanks!

25. Admin June 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

Anon – Possible. ground turmeric tends to be more bitter than fresh, especially when it’s freshly ground and potent. Try reducing it by half to see of it works better.

26. Me August 10, 2012 at 1:43 am #

How I wish I could stake cooking classes from you!

27. Rob C April 1, 2014 at 8:00 pm #

I’m leaving this here because I can’t find a reply box on the peanut sauce page. Today I tried that recipe and I’m floored at how good it is. After eating, I sat back, tastebuds in a world of joy, and thanked you and your mother for such a fantastic, simple, and inexpensive recipe that tastes simply wonderful. I can’t wait to try out as many of her/your recipes as I can. Thanks again 🙂

1. Saturday Pinterest Top 10!! « A Day In the Life of Jennay - October 7, 2012