Century Egg Salad with Pork and Fresh Ginger (ยำไข่เยี่ยวม้า) — with Video

This salad shows how some poverty and a lot of unpreparedness can result in something so great it’s worth making again and again. There is a point I’d like to make, no, reiterate through the making of this quick main dish salad, but I will save that for a future post on the basic Thai salad dressing.

For now, let’s just make this aesthetically-challenged dish that happens to be one of the most delicious things I have ever improvised.

My friend Jan and I made this when I showed up unannounced (and famished) at her university dorm room years ago. Wanting to make something for us without having to go out and spend money we didn’t have on grocery (and, if memory serves, it was raining outside), Jan and I looked around for anything in the room that was edible.

Our search yielded exactly 3 century eggs (a dorm-friendly food as they require no refrigeration), a small amount of ground pork in the mini-refrigerator, and a shriveled knob of ginger that came with the Northeastern Thai sour sausage she had bought earlier. Then we found a few wedges of lime and some sugar that came with the Pad Thai Jan had bought the day before. We also found a tiny bag of Nam-pla Prik that came with a box of fried rice from days before too.

This is akin to you in the US trying to make a meal out of the contents of the little soy sauce and chili oil packets you get from a Chinese take-out or those tiny packets of mayo, mustard, and ketchup from a fast-food joint. But, oh, you would not believe what an amazing salad we made that day with all those pathetic odds and ends and a single-burner hot plate.

Note: For those who have never had century eggs, these weird-looking things may scare you. But they’re actually not as bad as they look (much less of an acquired taste than salted duck eggs, in my opinion). The whites have the same texture as prepared Jell-O — perhaps a tad chewier. The yolks are creamy and mild. These eggs don’t taste sour/fermented or salty at all. They’re like hard-boiled eggs with strong tea-like scent.

Century Egg Salad with Pork and Fresh Ginger (ยำไข่เยี่ยวม้า)
Adapted from the salad I made with my friend Jan
Serves 2
Printable Version

1/3 pound ground pork
4 century eggs, peeled and quartered
1 4-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
3 tablespoons fish sauce
5 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3-4 red bird’s eye chilies, slice crosswise thinly
A few cilantro leaves

• Add the pork and about 1/4 cup of water to a small saucepan; put the pan over medium heat. Stir the pork around with a spatula, breaking it up into small pieces, until it’s cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly.
  • Arrange the quartered century eggs on a platter, followed by cooked ground pork (which has been drained).
  • Sprinkle ginger over it.
  • Mix together fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and chilies in a bowl. Drizzle the dressing over everything on the platter.
  • Garnish with cilantro.
  • Serve immediately.

16 Responses to Century Egg Salad with Pork and Fresh Ginger (ยำไข่เยี่ยวม้า) — with Video

1. Zen Chef November 3, 2011 at 1:23 am #

What do you mean by “aesthetically-challenged”. It’s beautiful! And delicious on top of that. You’ve been cooking marvelous things. I need to catch up.

2. Alissa - Not Just Apples November 3, 2011 at 11:48 am #

I’ve never seen eggs like that before – it’s quite dramatic! Pork and ginger is a gorgeous combination :)

3. Gretchen November 3, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I agree with Zen Chef–those eggs look so beautiful! What makes them those colors?

4. Admin November 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

Gretchen – Lots of alkaline.

5. Anonymous November 3, 2011 at 11:47 pm #

What a beautiful and delicious dish! I love century eggs and will give this recipe a try very soon! Thanks!

6. Laura November 4, 2011 at 4:38 am #

Anything is fantastic with the classic Thai (and SE Asian in general) dressing of fish sauce and lime juice. Wish I had the slightest idea where to find a century egg to try one!

7. luvwtr November 5, 2011 at 3:47 am #

This is a nice creative fusion of Northern Thai larb (pork with lime,chile,FS) and Chinese. I love it! Thank you for not doing any fusion with that god-awful chinese stinky bean curd!

8. Dorrie November 6, 2011 at 1:22 am #

I love this salad! And I love telling people the German name for it:

Hundertjaehrige Eier in Pferdepisse – har har har!

9. Admin November 6, 2011 at 2:17 am #

Dorrie – I know, right? Now how do you say mouse/rat turd chilies (prik khi nu) in German? :-p

10. Dorrie November 7, 2011 at 1:07 am #

You can use a word which is a little better than the above one:

Rattenkoettelchillies ;=)

Languages are big fun!

11. Admin November 7, 2011 at 1:33 am #

Dorrie – Hahahahaha. You guys can just throw any words together and form a meaningful compound noun, eh?

12. Anonymous November 9, 2011 at 2:14 am #

i’m thai and grew up in Thailand. The food looks amazing but I have to disagree with one thing you said. It’s definitely not poverty food. From my experience and historical evidences limes and eggs are expensive whenever the economy is bad. People usually go and dig sweet potatoes as substitutes.
    Cheers

13. Admin November 9, 2011 at 2:31 am #

Anon – The poverty part refers specifically to the situation in which this salad was first improvised, i.e. the only things available are the leftovers.

14. Anonymous November 9, 2011 at 2:57 am #

Thanks, I agree about using the leftovers. Lots of good Thai food come from using leftovers.

15. Anonymous January 12, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

I want to say a huge thank you for your thai idiom blogs,the advert with little toa made me cry laughing.I am from uk but have spent alot of time in thailand and can speak a little but struggle with alphabet(gave up)I love idioms or proverbs in all language.your food bloggs are great ,even tho they are killin me.i am homesick for thailand and a farang.thanks again for the laugh,chet naam da.Kapom,sawadee kap

16. Anonymous January 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

That is the most beautiful, slightly weird, photo I’ve ever seen. The egg colors and translucence are fascinating, I need to buy and try some (and fortunately, I’m pretty sure that my local Chinese and SE Asian shops have them).