thai dessert
Nothing to it, said Mom. Just like play dough. Make little balls. Like this. Yes. Good girl. And drop them into the pot very gently. They’re like little pearls, said I. White lotus, said she. Bua loi — floating lotus. But, Mom, the water in a lotus pond is clear not milky, said I. She paused. Isn’t it prettier, though — white on white? Yes, Mom. It is. Very pretty.

Then she started singing a song about white lotus in a pond, Bua Khao (บัวขาว). Her voice, just like Grandma’s, was exquisite. By the time we were done making this dessert, I’d learned all the words to the song. I was only three at that time and recall nothing of what took place that day. Dad happened to get the whole conversation and me singing the song for the first time — struggling with pronunciation from the beginning to the end — on tape.

The two people are now gone. But I still sing Bua Khao from time to time — not any less poorly than I did when I was in preschool, sadly. And I still make this dessert of white glutinous rice dumplings in sweet coconut cream often. You see, if there’s ever any one dish the thought of which makes my heart bubble up with nostalgic joy, it’s this.

thai dessert
Composed by Prince Bhanubandh Yugala and M.L. Puang-roi Abhaiwongse [1] as a soundtrack for a 1937 movie, Bua Khao was an oldie even when Mom was a kid. Grandma must have loved this song and taught it to Mom. Mom then taught it to me. This song has been sung in our family for many years.

Bua Khao is a very short but beautifully written song. It depicts a simple, tranquil scene of someone paddling a boat in a big pond, captivated by the immaculate beauty of white lotus, and enjoying the sight of fish swimming in clear water and bees collecting pollen from lotus flowers.

thai dessert
In case you’d like to hear the song, here’s a list of a few renditions by well-known Thai singers:
By Poonsri Charoenphong
By Rungruedi Phangphongsai
By Radklao Amaradis
My favorite? The one by Hong Kong’s iconic singer, Frances Yip. I just adore her voice.

Then there’s this one () by, uh, me when I was not quite three years old (you can hear Mom telling me to sing a little more loudly into the mic and helping me when I forgot the words). Pronunciation and intonation were an issue. I couldn’t pronounce consonant clusters to save my life. My r and l came out as y, and s as ch. I guess I got into linguistics mainly to figure out what the heck was wrong with me.

But, hey, I was polite (never mind the heavy breathing); I did say hello before I began. I might have even curtsied, but I can’t remember.

thai dessert
Khanom Bua Loi, revolving around the same theme as this beautiful song, is also a picture of simplicity and elegance. I don’t even have a recipe for you, because, frankly, I don’t think you need one. (Like Mom said, nothing to it.)

All you have to do is add some room temperature water (do not use hot water as it will instantly cause the flour to gum up) to a bowl of glutinous rice flour — just enough to allow you to form the mixture into a smooth ball of dough that doesn’t stick to either your fingers or the bowl. Then you pinch off a little piece of dough and roll it with the tips of your fingers into a tiny ball, about one centimeter in diameter. Make sure to work quickly, or at least keep the dough ball covered at all times, for exposure to air causes the dough to dry out and make it difficult for you to form little balls without them crumbling. Once the little pearls are formed, though, they’re okay; you can leave them out for a while.

How much flour? For a couple of servings, half a cup (66g) of glutinous rice flour should be enough.

Then you bring a pot of water to a gentle boil and drop the little dough balls into the water slowly and carefully. They’ll sink at first, then float to the top signaling to you that they’re ready to be fished out with a slotted spoon. Then you plunge the cooked dumplings into a bowl of cold water to keep them from sticking together.

Then you pour some coconut milk into a pot, sweeten it to taste with sugar and round out the flavor with a tiny bit of salt, bring the whole thing to a gentle boil, add the drained rice dumplings to the pot and let everything cook gently to allow the dumplings to absorb some of the sweetened coconut cream. After about a couple of minutes, your “floating lotus” is ready.

If you want to get fancy, poach a couple of eggs in the coconut milk while it’s simmering. Poached eggs in dessert may seem odd to you, but it’s a combination that is much loved by the Thai. You can also add thin slices of the meat of what I call ‘adolescent coconuts‘ to it for texture and extra coconut flavor.

Khanom Bua Loi is great warm, at room temperature, and even slightly chilled.

[1] A hyphen is added to emphasize the syllable break and prevent mispronunciation.

15 Responses to Khanom Bua Loi (ขนมบัวลอย) – Thai Glutinous Rice Dumplings in Sweet Coconut Cream

1. Tangled Noodle March 16, 2012 at 2:34 am #

Both dessert and singing Leela are so sweet! I’ve always loved the breathy sound of a child’s singing. Sweet rice dumplings in coconut milk is one of my favorites – I used to ignore all the other fillings such as bananas and sweet potato, and fish out the little balls. Annoyed the heck out of everyone to find all the ‘bola-bola’ gone… Thank you for sharing a lovely musical memory! 😎

2. Namitha March 16, 2012 at 3:05 am #

Oh my ! We make the exact same dish in Kerala too. I was thinking to post this in my blog today,but couldn’t take pictures yet :-)But we add some spices like cardamom and dried ginger too . Adding poached egg is intriguing

3. Kitty March 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

Oh my, that sounds so delish. If only I could find young coconuts. All I ever see in the stores here is the old mature ones. :/

4. Feeling Food March 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Oh my goodness, I’m awe struck, what a beautiful post and so precious to have those happy memories with your Mum and Dad. I love the way you’ve combined a recipe/ memory with such tenderness. These “floating lotus’s’ will be making an appearance in my home soon. Thank you!

5. Mark March 16, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Leela, I love every post you’ve made but this one moved me to tears. You have a real gift – for cooking, for writing and for photography, but also for imbuing all of these with real emotion.

Please never stop.

Mark

6. ~kahana~ March 16, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

wow, thank you for the recipe, the story, and the GORGEOUS music – perfect way to end my evening!!!! iʻm FLOATING!!!!! Can you share the lyrics?

7. Admin March 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Thanks, everyone.

kahana – Lyrics in Thai script (just in case)
    เห็นบัวขาวพราวอยู่ในบึงใหญ่
    ดอกใบบุปผชาติสะอาดตา
    น้ำใสไหลกระเซ็นเห็นตัวปลา
    ว่ายวนไปมาน่าเอ็นดู

หมู่ภุมรินบินเวียนว่อน
    คอยร่อนดมกลิ่นกินเกสร
    พายเรือน้อยคล้อยเคลื่อนในสาคร
    ค่อยพาจรห่างไปในกลางน้ำ

Romanization

hen bua khao phrao yu nai bueng yai
    dok bai bup-pha-chat sa-at ta
    nam sai lai kra-sen hen tua pla
    wai won pai ma na en-du

mu phum-ma-rin bin wian won
    khoi ron dom klin kin ke-son
    phai ruea noi khloi khluean nai sa-khon
    khoi pha chon hang pai nai klang nam

8. Swathi Iyer March 17, 2012 at 2:07 am #

Yes we make similar recipe called maniputtu in Kerala, were rice flour dumplings served with sweetend coconut milk. Looks awesome.

9. kampongboy March 17, 2012 at 2:44 am #

Wow, listening to Francis Yip singing thai song, that’s priceless! i will try to track down that cd when i’m in bangkok again.

10. Rick March 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Leela, that’s so precious, a great memory too

11. Shu Han March 19, 2012 at 10:33 am #

that’s a lovely story. when I was young, my mum didn’t really allow her into the kitchen, because she says we’d only make a mess. the only thing i ever remember her allowing us to do because it was just too impossible to mess up, was glutinous rice balls. it was done chinese style though, in sweetened ginger syrup, but still kind of like this,just plain sticky rice flour balls in a sweet soup, no fancy peanut paste or sesame filling.

12. Tom January 3, 2013 at 1:17 am #

Made a small batch of this tonight. Tastes pretty good! Thanks for introducing me to this dish 🙂 I think next time I make it, and there will be a next time because this is so simple, I’ll dissolve some sugar in the water I use to make the dough so that the balls have a sweetness to them. I also have some pandan leaves in my freezer that might make there way into the balls as well 🙂

Thanks again Leela, I check your blog almost daily for updates and I go through your archives as well. It’s a great site, and I’m looking forward to the Nam Prik recipes you promised, as well as your cookbook which I will definitely buy!

• Leela January 3, 2013 at 7:15 am #

Thanks for the report and the kind words, Tom.

1. Kluay Buat Chi (กล้วยบวชชี): Bananas Who Have Entered Nunhood | SheSimmers - August 21, 2012

[…] of how to make sweetened coconut milk base, you can even go outside of the kaeng buat family. Glutinous rice dumplings in sweetened coconut cream, anyone?And this is why I’ve included sweetened coconut milk as one of the basic components […]

2. Chilled Tapioca-Cantaloupe-Coconut Milk Dessert Soup (สาคูแคนตาลูป)SheSimmers - May 31, 2014

[…] covered some of them here already. Remember pineapple in iced syrup (or the apricot version of it), glutinous rice pearls in sweet coconut cream, crunchy water chestnut dumplings in iced coconut syrup, or sweet sticky rice and durian in coconut […]