Scallop-Orange-Cucumber Salad (ยำหอยเชลล์กับส้มและแตงกวา)

If you have made green mango salad with grilled shrimp and cashew or Chinese sausage (kun chiang) and cucumber salad, you already know how to make most Thai salads, including this one. In fact, I bet by this time you’re already a pro when it comes to seasoning your yam instinctively without having to rely on exact measurements. Some lime juice, some fish sauce, some sugar if desired. Want it hot, add chilies. Want it smoky and hot, add dried chilies. If you deal with ingredients that are intrinsically sweet, sour, or salty, then adjust your seasoning accordingly.

The secret of Thai cuisine is that there are no secrets. Bummer.

To make this — and let’s just pretend we’re making a portion big enough to serve 4 — simply sear up enough scallops for 4 people until you get a nice crust on the outside of them without overcooking the inside. Then you set the scallops aside while cutting up half an English cucumber into matchsticks, slicing up thinly 1/2 a medium red onion (or 2 medium shallots), and sectioning 2 oranges. Toss everything together in a bowl. Add some lime juice and fish sauce to taste. Throw in some chopped up chilies and cilantro or mint leaves. Done.

16 Responses to Scallop-Orange-Cucumber Salad (ยำหอยเชลล์กับส้มและแตงกวา)

1. Peggy July 22, 2012 at 8:54 pm #

Sounds fabulous and the perfect salad for a hot summer day.

2. Eileen July 22, 2012 at 11:11 pm #

I love simple methods like this that you can change according to what you have on hand. The resulting salad sounds super fresh and clean!

3. NibblingNomad July 23, 2012 at 2:08 am #

That looks absolutely delicious!

4. Clumsy Warrior July 23, 2012 at 11:28 pm #

This looks so delicious!!!

5. Deanna - Teaspoon of Spice July 26, 2012 at 8:08 pm #

So beautiful I can almost taste it! Congrats on being part of Today’s Top 9!

6. Javelin Warrior July 27, 2012 at 4:05 am #

On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday – and I love this gorgeous salad so I’m featuring it as part of today’s roundup (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I’m happy to be following along with your creations…

7. Elacks December 9, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

Do you ever eat salads like this with rice?

• Leela December 9, 2013 at 5:49 pm #

In the context of Thai cuisine, a salad is typically eaten with rice. So, yes, almost all the time.

• Elacks December 14, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

I love the cool salad with warm rice 🙂 so good.

8. Sima March 17, 2014 at 5:21 pm #

Sounds good. Will have to try it

9. prof john June 24, 2014 at 6:21 pm #

Ohhhhhhh—–my——God!!!!! Made th a for dinner tonight and it was so delicious I could have eaten eight servings myself!!!!!

10. Pascii June 25, 2014 at 5:54 pm #

I like the angle of this post. You believe in your readers. Must feel pretty good.

11. Candy Capogrossi June 25, 2014 at 11:52 pm #

Yummy recipe
    …scallop and orange salad

12. claire sullivan August 30, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

This looks wonderful. Do you have any suggestions for a substitute for members of the onion family? We cannot use them in our house i thought of trying water chestnuts and/or celery but am open to new ideas
    722

1. Caramel-Glazed Pork Cracklings and Peanuts (กากหมูถั่วหวาน) from Baan Varnakovida (บ้านวรรณโกวิท) - SheSimmers - February 29, 2016

[…] The result is a rich, sweet and salty dish that’s best enjoyed sparingly—almost as a condiment—alongside other dishes in the same meal ensemble—ideally something light, tart, and vibrant or something fiery (I recommend southern sour curry with pineapple and shrimp, southern pork rib curry, or scallop-orange-cucumber salad. […]

2. Caramel-Glazed Pork Cracklings and Peanuts (กากหมูถั่วหวาน) from Baan Varnakovida (บ้านวรรณโกวิท) - SheSimmers - March 5, 2016

[…] The result is a rich, sweet and salty dish that’s best enjoyed with warm rice sparingly—almost as a condiment—alongside other dishes in the same meal ensemble—ideally something light, tart, and vibrant or something fiery (I recommend southern sour curry with pineapple and shrimp, southern pork rib curry, or scallop-orange-cucumber salad. […]