Lime-Honey-Lemongrass Slush

Lime_honey-Lemongrass Slush
We’re still very much in the middle of the Thai Grilled Chicken Series. So far we’ve got:
Part One – What? The Chicken Sauce Is More Famous Than the Chicken?: Introduction
Part Two – The Basics of Thai Grilled Chicken
Part Three – Mom’s Lemongrass Grilled Chicken
Part Four – Southern Thai Sweet-and-Sour Curry-Basted Grilled Chicken
Part Five – Smoked Soy-Honey-Rum Cornish Game Hens

But you’ve got to wash all those barbecued chickens down with something, right? Thai iced tea with lime is always great in the summer. However, I thought I would introduce to you the refreshing beverage from one of the restaurants in Bangkok which I frequent whenever I’m in town: Taling Pling’s lime-honey-lemongrass slush.

This is not the official recipe from the restaurant. This is my own recipe which leads to a similar end product.

Note: Our tastes may be different and the limes in your area may taste different from the limes in my area, so be sure to adjust the amount of honey and lime juice to taste. This recipe is highly customizable.

Lime-Honey-Lemongrass Slush by SheSimmers.com

Lime-Honey-Lemongrass Slush

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Beverage
Cuisine: Thai
Serves: One quart
Ingredients
  • One stalk lemongrass
  • ¾ cup plain water
  • ½ cup honey
  • 1/16 teaspoon (yep, very little) salt
  • ¾ cup fresh lime juice
  • 2 cup crushed ice
Instructions
  1. Trim off the root end of the lemongrass. Slice the lemongrass thinly, crosswise, from the bottom up to the 5-inch mark. Discard the rest or use it for garnish as shown.
  2. Put the lemongrass slices into a small pot or saucier along with the water and set it over medium heat. When the water boils, reduce the heat immediately so it barely bubbles around the edges. Let the water simmer gently for one minute. Remove the pot from heat. Immediately whisk in the honey; blend well. Cool.
  3. Strain the cooled syrup into a blender (preferably high-speed such as Vitamix). Add the salt, lime juice, and ice. Blend on high just until the mixture turns slushy.
  4. Serve immediately.

8 Responses to Lime-Honey-Lemongrass Slush

1. Ken Rivard July 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

It’s about 85 degrees here right now and I could really go for one of them, although I might have to add a splash of tequila to it. But even w/out the booze, looks great. Ken

2. paul July 3, 2013 at 12:14 pm #

totally off topic, but i can not find palm sugar ANYWHERE.

very surprising because im in a very VERY diverse city with many specialty markets.

even the “ethnic” supermarket, will FULL supermarket aisles, each one dedicated to a different region with authentic imported products, huge huge selection… i went there yesterday and even they didn’t have it, i was shocked…..

whole foods is a bit of a hike (plus im not even sure if they have it?) and i can locate basically everything else but that within walking distance..

i’ve been subbing with brown sugar, but im a bit of a perfectionist and purist whenever possible…..
    so since im going to have to order it, couple questions….

~ what brand would you recommend? preferably sold by amazon, but not necessary..

~ coconut ‘palm’ sugar …. should i order that too? would it be worth it to have both on hand, are they very different? or would it be overkill? i dont see it too much in recipes, but i <3 coconuts… obsessed with coconuts i guess you can say.
    but for example: i was somewhat disappointed with coconut oil…. health wise, the benefits of using it are fantastic, and have had great results cooking with it, but i was hoping for a hint of coconut flavor, maybe it was a brand issue, but the one i got basically had no flavor….

~ are the items branded "coconut palm sugar" the same product as the ones that are just "coconut sugar" ?

thanx!!

• Leela July 7, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

paul – I’ll write a post on this. Many people have these same questions. Thank you.

3. Arika Lueamrung July 3, 2013 at 4:07 pm #

I could really use one of those right now! I’m burning up in this 100 degree weather! The slushy looks amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

4. Lina July 10, 2013 at 3:26 am #

Leela,
    The slush looks amazingly refreshing. However, one question please. Do we blend all the boiled lemongrass bits together or do we discard them? It’s not specified in the recipe but I do wish to know.

• Leela July 10, 2013 at 3:37 am #

Lina – Yes, you strain the lemongrass-infused syrup into the blender and discard the lemongrass.

5. Laura August 25, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

The different tastes comment made me laugh–when we were in Thailand I LOVED the limeade but my husband found it really strong and sour. Just like I like it. :)

Pinning now!

6. Tom August 27, 2013 at 10:48 pm #

The thermometer in my car read 100ºF today and more of the same is in the forecast for the next several days. As I have an over-abundance of limes at the moment (thank you costco) and lemongrass in my garden, I will have to make this tomorrow! When we lived in Thailand, my wife and I frequented Taling Pling as well as their fusion restaurant in Siam Paragon (I am forgetting the name).

Oh and thanks so much for your quick response to my question regarding phak bung the other day.